Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

advocation

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Yeovil, UK
I've tried Textmate (I use that for php and love it), but it does not have a asp bundle installed with it, and cant get around installing one.. I have also tried textwrangler, but it does not seem to have an asp bundle installed either :(

Any suggestions?

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Try SkEdit.

Or Smultron.

Both have asp syntax highlighting, the later is free (but SkEdit is a really nice app with free upgrades for life, built in FTP and code completion).

chameleon

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
Albany, NY
Late to the party, but....

Skedit is good -- in general -- but their ASP syntax highlighting is awful. Not very robust, and nearly worthless.

FYI...

bretticus

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2009
Also late to the party but this post comes up first in google. I just downloaded and installed jedit. Make sure you get the ftp plugin. Totally free and good (enough) asp source code highlighting!

Jun 30, 2009
As a side note, Dreamweaver has ASP syntax. If you're a student, the price is decent (around... 100 pounds in the UK).

memco

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2008
Just in case anyone stumbles in here from Google, Textmate has very good ASP highlighting with the ASP bundle. Also see this thread for a link to the Get Bundle bundle, which lets you browse and install bundles from within Textmate.

bretticus

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2009
No, there isn't ASP support in there. The other features have been there for a while. Good to see TextWrangler wasn't abandoned though. I use BBEdit these days.

I never mentioned "support." I said syntax highlighting. Which there clearly IS!!!

2e1ewzc.png

bretticus

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2009
What language mode do you have it set for to show the syntax coloring?

I see no notion of choosing any language mode at all. Like I said, it did highlighting "natively." The manual states:

By default, TextWrangler recognizes over 20 different languages and several dozen
suffix mappings. You can add new suffixes to map to existing languages or (by
installing third-party language plug-ins) add syntax coloring support for new
languages as well. All the specific languages that TextWrangler recognizes, and the
suffixes or extensions it expects for them, are listed in the Languages preference panel,
and suffix mappings can also be changed there. You can choose the colors that
TextWrangler uses for syntax coloring in the Text Colors preference panel.
Note TextWrangler will recognize and syntax-color VBScript embedded within HTML via the
<%…%> and <SCRIPT>…</SCRIPT> tags.

The last time I checked this, seems like the syntax highlighting was so so. Also, I don't recall seeing a sftp/ftp connection capability (I suppose that was there already?) anyways, I have tons of legacy ASP code to maintain (unfortunately) and switched to mac a few months ago so I am happy to see this in a free app.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I see no notion of choosing any language mode at all. Like I said, it did highlighting "natively." The manual states:

The last time I checked this, seems like the syntax highlighting was so so. Also, I don't recall seeing a sftp/ftp connection capability (I suppose that was there already?) anyways, I have tons of legacy ASP code to maintain (unfortunately) and switched to mac a few months ago so I am happy to see this in a free app.

At the bottom of the app window there's a bar and one of the drop down boxes lets you choose which programming language you're using. (See attachment) It's just curiosity, it may just be taking a best guess, kind of like using the PHP vbCode tags here, which work for more than just PHP.

I checked on my older TextWrangler (2.3?) and it did have the SFTP/FTP option in the file menu. I don't use that option much as I always test locally before posting something live in case it breaks the site.

Attachments

• tw.png
    tw.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 191

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Coda

Coda has a 'asp-html' syntax mode, but I don't know .asp so I have no idea how it handles it. They offer a 15 day trial though so give it a whirl. Coda is by far my editor of choice. - Coda Download

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 193

bretticus

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2009
At the bottom of the app window there's a bar and one of the drop down boxes lets you choose which programming language you're using. (See attachment) It's just curiosity, it may just be taking a best guess, kind of like using the PHP vbCode tags here, which work for more than just PHP.

Ah, got ya! I've never used TextWrangler before much. Don't know how I missed that though.

It's a file with an asp extension but it's coming up with HTML (which seems consistent with the manual snippet from my previous post.) There must be HTML elements in the page (I merely opened it and looked at the top without scrolling. Fortunately, I don't have to maintain that ASP code much as it's being slowly phased out over time.) It does have VBScript as an option in that list and it also maintains syntax highlighting when I select it.

I don't use that option much as I always test locally before posting something live in case it breaks the site.

I test my PHP but since it's nigh impossible to test legacy ASP on IIS on my Mac, I have gotten used to making backups on the server and testing there (I know how NOT to break the server after all these years! :D )

I'm sure there are better paid-for options (BBEdit and Coda) but I still prefer free (and so does my employer.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.