Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today updated its iOS app of the same name, with increased support for 3D Touch on compatible devices.

The update expands on 3D Touch support originally introduced to the Google app in December, allowing iPhone 6s and 6s Plus owners to make more use of the devices' "peek" and "pop" gestures.

Google-ios-app-800x368.jpg

Deep pressing on a title or map in Google search results now offers a "peek" preview of the linked page, while pressing harder "pops" the page into fullscreen view.

Elsewhere, users can deep press on the "G" button to start a search from anywhere within the app. Users without a 3D Touch-supporting device can long press on the button instead for the same action.

Google for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google App on iOS Gains Expanded Support For 3D Touch Actions

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
I feel like 3D Touch is never going to be used to it's full potential until every iOS Device has it.. Too bad the SE came without it.

Reactions: addamas and AVEGA

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
I feel like 3D Touch is never going to be used to it's full potential until every iOS Device has it.. Too bad the SE came without it.
I have had my 6S since day 2 and since then have used 3D touch with success twice, and live photos four times. As you say, 3DT is not deployed widely enough for me to be bothered with performing the "lucky dip" of pressing and holding to see if there is a menu item.

Live photos I have found to be a pointless space hog (20MB files each time) as the people I know either have android phones or older iPhones.

These for me are just gimmicks at the moment, they need to be more widely adopted/compatible to become daily interactions.

Reactions: Telos101

AVEGA

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2016
Austin TX
I love how Waze uses 3D Touch . Menu pops up that lets you pick work / home / send location and search . It's so handy and quick to get the best route to work (I work down town ) it drives me crazy that Waze doesn't pause spoken audio though .

McFreggle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
Dendermonde/Leuven, Belgium
Live photos I have found to be a pointless space hog (20MB files each time) as the people I know either have android phones or older iPhones.

Older phones are no problem. You can't make Live Photos with older phones, but you can view them.
[doublepost=1472126478][/doublepost]Serious question: who uses the Google app anyway?

I find no use for it. When I want to search Google, I type my query in the Safari address bar. And for people that don't want to use Safari, Chrome is a very good option. But why use the Google app? It takes long to load, and when you visit a web page you have an account for, you aren't logged in, because you are in a different browser environment.

So I really don't get the raison d'être for this app.

Oalico

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2016
Lebanon
Older phones are no problem. You can't make Live Photos with older phones, but you can view them.
[doublepost=1472126478][/doublepost]Serious question: who uses the Google app anyway?

I find no use for it. When I want to search Google, I type my query in the Safari address bar. And for people that don't want to use Safari, Chrome is a very good option. But why use the Google app? It takes long to load, and when you visit a web page you have an account for, you aren't logged in, because you are in a different browser environment.

So I really don't get the raison d'être for this app.

In addition to that I don't use Google at all long time since I have switch into DuckDuckGo search Engine, Quite good, Quick plus NO TRACKING for my data. Protecting my privacy.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
I have had my 6S since day 2 and since then have used 3D touch with success twice, and live photos four times. As you say, 3DT is not deployed widely enough for me to be bothered with performing the "lucky dip" of pressing and holding to see if there is a menu item.

These for me are just gimmicks at the moment, they need to be more widely adopted/compatible to become daily interactions.

I'll offer the other side of the argument. 3D Touch is useful in the right use cases.

Going through lists of things (email inbox my best example) is great with 3D Touch. It's also really useful on webpages with lots of links - Wikipedia for example, easily see related links and return to where you were quickly.

It's also great with Live Photos - but again in the right circumstances. For my family that's when shooting fast moving things like younger family members or pets.

And I don't need to share the picture for the feature to be useful. However you're right it would be more useful with wider adoption - Facebook for example I've read supports them. But the memory is enhanced even if it is just my personal collection that takes advantage of movement and sound additions to a shot.

iOS 10 has upped my 3D Touch usage a lot. So many extra interactions across the OS that make using an iPhone faster. My personal fav is text deletion. Simple, but really nice implementation:

McFreggle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
Dendermonde/Leuven, Belgium
In addition to that I don't use Google at all long time since I have switch into DuckDuckGo search Engine, Quite good, Quick plus NO TRACKING for my data. Protecting my privacy.
I have been using DuckDuckGo for half a year, in an effort to use no Google products any more. I was quite satiesfied with the search results, but somehow I missed the accuracy and added value of the Google Search Results. So for search, I went back to Google. It was their original product, and it's what they do best.

But it's the only Google product I use.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Just opening the app and seeing the cards displayed for news items to read is impressive in that it has found many articles I'd be interested in reading. However, I never really do a lot of searching from my iPhone to use the app regularly.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
The long-press options show that 3D Touch hasn't been fully realized yet. Firstly (as others have pointed out), there are too many supported, non-3D-Touch iDevices on the market. Second, many of the invented 3D Touch actions could be accomplished with a long-press but have been arbitrarily locked behind that feature.

Having the majority of supported, active, 3D-Touched enabled iDevices in the market is the first hurdle. This will increase usage and encourage innovation with it.

Many developers aren't going to "confuse" their design by giving iOS special features with 3D Touch. Once Android flagships start shipping with something similar, the tech will see tremendous growth.

But we don't know if any Android device has plans for a 3D Touch-like screen. So features that support it will continue to be limited and/or rare.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Is 3DTouch even working in this app for anyone? It works on the G button at the bottom but sure as hell doesn't work on search results.

Surely I'm doing something wrong here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.