Google Chrome for iOS

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Simacca, Jun 28, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Just trying to download the newly released Google Chrome onto my new iPad and even though I can see the app on the store and in iTunes, everytime I click to download it say 'item not available'.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

2. macrumors 6502a

It works fine for me.

3. macrumors regular

Working perfect for me. I think it is only able to be downloaded in the united states currently. Make a united states iTunes account then download it?

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

I will give it until tomorrow then try again. If not then I shall create one.

5. macrumors 6502a

what a joke of a browser it is (objectively based on results):

ipad retina:
    sunspider 0.9.1:

chrome browser on iOS 6.0b2:
    5484ms

Safari browser on iOS 6.0b2:
    1428ms

in iOS 6.0b2, safari is just very fast. It's noticeably faster than iPad running 5.1.1 - this is not a "feeling fast" - it's FAST.

6. macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

Downloaded it, it did a sync and all my bookmarks came across and all is working well.

HiddenPuppy

7. macrumors regular

tek210

Not bad overall and the syncing of the bookmarks is nice, but so far I don't see full screen mode. With that big of a header, FS is a must. To get 5 stars at least.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

Finally working today :)

9. macrumors regular

Despite chrome being a bit slower than safari, I love the UI and design. I am annoyed that google moved the .com key. It was perfect where it was and chrome would be a lot easier to replace safari if the key remained in the same position. Other wise I love the tabs, I love the settings, I love the voice search and I love the overall functionality of chrome on ios.

10. macrumors 6502

iPhone and iPad working great here.

11. macrumors member

wizee

Hit F11 or go to the wrench and hit the square box nest to the zoom

12. macrumors regular

1.There's a jailbreak tweak that can make it that way, called ChromeURL
    2.I believe it's wrong to do that, because you lose space bar, which is crucial for searching.
    That's the reason Google did what it did, went with editing keyboard layout rather than URL keyboard layout.
    But of course, Google should change the button to make it versatile, i.e. support multiple TLD, like .net .org .cn or so forth.

----------

Chrome is not a joke, Apple is. Apple forces all the third-party browser to use UIWebView and disallow them to use nitro JavaScript engine or their own. If Google is allowed to use either their own V8 engine or Safari's nitro engine, it will performs at least as good as Safari.

I believe it's really ridiculous for Apple to promote safari in this way and discourage third-party developer. Microsoft got sued for similar but much less evil deed, I don't understand why Apple can get away with this for so long.

13. macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

Maybe because Apple has more money in the bank that the US government :D :confused: :eek:

HiddenPuppy

14. macrumors regular

:d

15. macrumors G3

rhett7660

So far no complaints from me. Seems to be doing what it was made to do, surf the web on my iPad! :)

16. macrumors 68000

Sylon

Chrome is great, yeah it doesn't use Apple's Nitro Javascript like Safari does, so its a little slower, its barely noticeable.

Running Chrome with a jailbreak makes it ever better. Allowing you to use Chrome as your primary browser, and the ability to run Adblocker. Such a great combination.

And I just noticed this morning using the Facebook app, I clicked on a link (opening it in FB's built-in browser) and then tapped the "square-arrow" icon in the top right, it actually said "Open in Chrome". I was impressed to see the tweak actually changed that for the FB app at least. Normally it still says "Open in Safari", but it will still open in Chrome.

17. macrumors regular

Browsechooser does that, hope browserchanger can catch up.

18. macrumors 65816

I love the Chrome browser for iOs.

I'm from a Windows background and am used to clicking in the address bar and typing the site name.

Safari isn't useful for that, you have to click in and press the x to erase what is there.

Chrome highlights the address and you can just start typing and the search results are instant.

If I want ESPN, I click and type e, s and boom, its there, nice and quick.

The only deal killer for me is I have to have that Reader function in Safari.
    Not sure if Chrome will ever get their own version of that.