Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Running iMac with Google Chrome browser (why...who knows. I'm just used to it I guess.)

Anyway, the Chrome browser updated this morning to version "83.0.4103.61," after that, it relaunched...now all I see on Google related site LIKE Google search, Gmail, YouTube, etc is this garbled mess. Only BOLD text appears to be ok.

I posted it to Google Help pages around 9am - which did appear ok with the exception of the "I AM NOT A ROBOT" check box, so far no replies. :rolleyes:

Well in the meantime, I'm running Safari browser again.

mdc8huA.png

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
This application (same version released yesterday) runs fine on my two Macs (both running Mojave 10.14.6).

Since this is the most widely installed and used third-party program on Macs and there are no other threads by others with the same problem, it appears that your system is borked.

Step 1: delete all cookies, exit browser and try again
Step 2: deactivate or deinstall all browser extensions, content blockers, etc. and try again
Step 3: create brand new user account, log into that and try browsing (without installing any extensions which are user specific)

If none of these corrects the problem, it would seem that a reinstallation of whatever macOS version you are running would be in order.

Last edited:
Reactions: moooooooooooo

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Thanks. I figured since I saw no other issues like this on the Google Help, this had to be an issue on my end.
I wiped out Cookies, browsing an ad block extension, tried a brand new user, same problem.

I backed up everything on Chrome, removed it, all files on the Mac, reinstalled. Again, same issue

FINALLY ended up finding a 7 year old post on some site that had a problem on Windows.
Turns out it was the system font. I removed the default "Roboto" font Google uses, installed a new font family of it. Problem solved. :rolleyes::)

SMH...that's a first. Just odd. This whole week, which feels much longer than usual for some odd reason, I've been having little annoying technical issues with everything.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Excellent sleuthing!

Curiously, there is no Roboto font on my systems. I vaguely remember having some sort of font display issue years ago when I installed a copy of the San Francisco font that Apple uses for some system functionality. I removed it and everything returned to normal.

Today, I avoid mucking around with fonts and I only add extra ones (novelty fonts for the most part) to my primary user account's library. I do not mess with the system font library.

In any case, it is great that you solved your issue and that you posted the details here in case someone else in the future has the same problem.

Sadly, many forum participants do not follow up with what ultimately worked for them. That's actually more helpful than the question itself but that's the online world we live in today: post and run. This is not unique to MacRumors or other technical sites. You see this pretty much everywhere.

??‍♂️

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PhillyGuy72

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
No problem, it was just baffling and a goofed up font never entered my head,. So I just assume the update did something with that now removed old broken font - only "Roboto Bold" wasn't affected I guess. So...now I know in case this happens again.

And thank you for replying earlier, it did let me know that this issue was surely on my end.

• Love

moooooooooooo

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
Ok, I just had to create an account to chime in here and give a virtual high five to my hero of the day @PhillyGuy72. I have been searching for a solution without understanding what I was even trying to solve.

Why is some text jumbled in Chrome? *Check's Safari, everything is ok... ugh, def a Chrome issue. Please don't make me use Safari! (I don't hate Safari but I def prefer Chrome)

Anyway, I thought maybe it was a language issue but again, it wasn't jumbled everywhere. I attempt to look at my language settings and unfortunately don't speak Google robot but the below screenshot is an effective representation of my confusion. Me and Google indeed...

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 1.17.52 PM.png

Anyway, found this thread and have to confirm what @PhillyGuy72 found as a solution. I had both Roboto and Roboto Condensed installed. Uninstalled Roboto and voilà, refresh, text back to normal. I attempted to reinstall just out of curiosity and the problem reappeared. Mind you I am installing the font package from Google Fonts so it's not some shady torrent file version...

Here is Chrome preferences with Roboto Disabled:

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 1.19.15 PM.png

Thanks @PhillyGuy72 and @Erehy Dobon for this chain that led me to sanity...

• Love

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Ok, I just had to create an account to chime in here and give a virtual high five to my hero of the day @PhillyGuy72. I have been searching for a solution without understanding what I was even trying to solve.

Why is some text jumbled in Chrome? *Check's Safari, everything is ok... ugh, def a Chrome issue. Please don't make me use Safari! (I don't hate Safari but I def prefer Chrome)

Anyway, I thought maybe it was a language issue but again, it wasn't jumbled everywhere. I attempt to look at my language settings and unfortunately don't speak Google robot but the below screenshot is an effective representation of my confusion. Me and Google indeed...

View attachment 1679635

Anyway, found this thread and have to confirm what @PhillyGuy72 found as a solution. I had both Roboto and Roboto Condensed installed. Uninstalled Roboto and voilà, refresh, text back to normal. I attempted to reinstall just out of curiosity and the problem reappeared. Mind you I am installing the font package from Google Fonts so it's not some shady torrent file version...

Here is Chrome preferences with Roboto Disabled:

View attachment 1679636

Thanks @PhillyGuy72 and @Erehy Dobon for this chain that led me to sanity...
No problem, that bug was in Chrome was a mess. (God that was in May?? Feels like 2, 3 years ago..LOL!)

Glad I could help! ?

• Love

moooooooooooo

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
No problem, that bug was in Chrome was a mess. (God that was in May?? Feels like 2, 3 years ago..LOL!)

Glad I could help! ?
2020, the year that keeps on taking... and taking and taking and taking... ? But our chrome problem has been solved for now so we have that going for us ;) May the rest of your 2020 be surprisingly and deservedly peaceful and 2021 make up for all the terror of 20!

wrigley3021

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2020
I just wanted to say thank you! You saved my life! I had actually started making the move back to Firefox, which was something I desperately did not want to do. I figured I would try searching one more time and this thread finally popped up half way down the page. Apparently I had two versions of Roboto and Roboto Condensed installed somehow. I told it to resolve it and now everything works perfectly! Thank you again for the life-saver!

moooooooooooo

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
I just wanted to say thank you! You saved my life! I had actually started making the move back to Firefox, which was something I desperately did not want to do. I figured I would try searching one more time and this thread finally popped up half way down the page. Apparently I had two versions of Roboto and Roboto Condensed installed somehow. I told it to resolve it and now everything works perfectly! Thank you again for the life-saver!
Awesome @wrigley3021! Happy Monday and happy Chrome recovery ;)

Have a magnificent week!

ggallin

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2016
Thank you @PhillyGuy72 , just had the same issue here, and was able to fix it after reading this thread! It boggles me how I got into this issue, I did not do anything to my installed fonts lately. I set all the Robot fonts to "inactive" and it worked. Was going after Firefox as well and did not like it.

• Love

Chris Bryant

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2021
Another grateful person creating an account to THANK @PhillyGuy72. Been stabbing at this garbled Google text issue for about a year, spending hours tumbling down the rabbit hole, always giving up. Until today. Now the new MailChimp & Co feature is freezing on Safari, only working on Chrome.

I searched for Roboto in all the logical places on my Mac and turned up no Roboto residing. Finally I found the entire Roboto family listed (but not activated) in the Google Fonts library in Suitcase Fusion, which controls my system and user fonts. (Graphic designer here with lots of fonts in play.) The second I opened them, my hieroglyphic Google pages were normal again.

The only thing that still worries me is when I open some pages the garbled text flashes by for a half second before normal fonts kick in. There's probably some setting somewhere that controls why that happening.

• Love

fieldtech

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2016
Wasatch Valley
If anyone can give step-by-step instructions on where to find this Roboto font, maybe others, like myself, can be sure to check in the right places. Chris Bryant found his in Suitcase Fusion, but I am unsure if that is something he has added on or not. The other posts don't directly say where they found the offending font. I don't even know about font packages from Google Font, so anyone who might read this and can take a moment to direct others on how to find the Roboto or San Francisco or other offending fonts, please respond. ?

Something quite similar happened to me yesterday. I went to a Google Sheet in Chrome, already opened and working in from day before, and all the data was blank. The fill colors were there, and the formatting looked the same, but each sheet I went to was blank, or if I scrolled I might get something that looked like Russian. Every Google document I went into was messed up. I tried typing something, but realized I was changing the data in my documents, and had to blindly undo. At times I could read part of a document, but then if I scrolled, it either disappeared or turned into the garbled stuff. I know it was not a language, since I could see little icons like leaves and dingbat-type of cute icons mixed in with letters of every world language.

Just prior to this happening, we were doing a Team meeting over Zoom and when one of the guys tried to share his screen, Google Docs logged him out. A few minutes later another guy was going to share his screen and the same thing happened.

After finding my Google docs all messed up in Chrome, I figured it had to be something on Google, but wasn't getting any Google reports of issues that our department auto-sends us through Hangouts Chat (which of course, could also be going wonky since it is, after all, Google!).

No time to mess around with it, but I noticed Chrome needed to do an update, so clicked the little Update button in the upper right and let Chrome close and do its thing. When I reopened, it was still an issue, so today found this forum. Since I couldn't figure out where Roboto was, and since I never have messed with fonts - no reason and no desire - I saw, again, that Chrome needed an update (did it actually ever update yesterday or not??). I again, Quit Chrome, but never saw anything updating (with the auto-updates, it usually does it automatically after you shut down). After a while, I reopened, and manually checked for updates. It told me it was up to date.

I started looking through my documents, and all the text is normal again. Did it really update, or did I need to re-launch it a few times? And, do I have the Roboto font somewhere??

I went into my settings to Appearance>Customize fonts, not really sure where everyone else was talking about, and my standard font is Times, and in checking that and all the other types of fonts, there isn't even Roboto listed.

Again I wonder if an update or re-launch fixed it, or is this just a fluke and will I see this font issue again?

Again, if anyone who might read this and can take a moment to direct others on how to find the Roboto or San Francisco or other offending fonts, please respond. ?

Chris Bryant

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2021
Hi @fieldtech. Suitcase is a third-party font utility but you can load Roboto into your Mac's Font Book utility. But just know it might not the total cure. After I posted my happy discovery, some garbling was still cropping up. Luckily it's not, but only on Helvetica Bold in MailChimp layouts. Odd. Maybe there's something between (my) Chrome and Helvetica Bold. Haven't opened a Google Doc to check it out. At this point I'm just happy most of my type is no longer garbled and I'm hitting the easy button by switching Helvetica Bold to Arial.

So turning on Roboto wasn't a 100% fix, only a 90% fix. And maybe it's not Roboto at all. I wonder if tit's something to do with my old operating system—I've stayed in Sierra (10.12.6) because I prefer to use Adobe Creative Suite 6 version of Indesign ISO the creative "cloudy" version. And maybe it's because I have a ton of fonts coming and going through my system.

All that said, it can't hurt to try the Roboto Cure. Go to Google Fonts at https://fonts.google.com/?query=Roboto. There are four Roboto families. The Download button is at top right of each family's page. They download as Zip Archives. Open/uncompress them drop into Font Book. It's worth a try.

As for San Francisco, that's an Apple system font that, on my machine and operating system, is present (a huge family) and is opened—actually locked and can't be closed on my iMac.

Good luck!

jordanielmills

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2021
I found an easy fix that has nothing to do with Roboto.

I am on an M1 mac mini 2020 macOS Big Sur 11.4

1. Open Font Book.app
2. Click "All Fonts" in top left of window
3. Select All (Cmd + A) of your fonts
4. In the menu, click File -> Validate Fonts
5. Your fonts will be scanned (this may take a while depending on how many fonts installed)
6. If you have bad fonts installed, you'll see warnings at the bottom of this window
7. Click at the top where it says "All" and choose "Warning and Errors" which will cull out the bad fonts
8. Delete these fonts, close Font Book and reopen Chrome

This worked for me and I got to keep Roboto, which I like ;)
--------------------
UPDATE June 24, 2021

I just put Roboto back in Font Book and the problem came back with Chrome. After removing Roboto, it went away. Kinda bummed, I like that font!

Last edited:

trovata

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
Has anyone found a solution that doesn't involve removing Roboto? I actually need that font on my system for (design) work so removing it isn't really an option. I did try removing and re-installing a fresh copy, as well as eliminating duplicates but it seems like any single instance of Roboto on the system causes this problem.

jlbutler2121

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2021
Hi guys, I too have created a new account to say thank you so much for helping with this issue. We've been struggling with it for the same amount of time that @PhillyGuy72 had - tried to follow that advice but we couldn't read our Chrome setting page to change/delete Roboto font. The whole page was garbled, luckily below this one another post that solved our issue.

Read @jordanielmills and tried that solution and voila! It worked. Roboto wasn't the issue for us it was 2 random fonts.

Anyhow, thanks a bunch for starting the thread and all of the contributions along the way!!

LG-

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2021
Has anyone found a solution that doesn't involve removing Roboto? I actually need that font on my system for (design) work so removing it isn't really an option. I did try removing and re-installing a fresh copy, as well as eliminating duplicates but it seems like any single instance of Roboto on the system causes this problem.

I use a program called FontBase to manage my fonts so If I need Roboto on a project I just click a button to activate it. If I need to use Chrome or a Chromium browser like Brave (which also has the issue) I just deactivate Roboto and the glyphs go back to normal text (refresh the page).

Fontbase is Free and can be downloaded at fontba.se and all google fonts are already accessible from the left panel under "Providers"

you should be able to use Apple's native fontbook to do that or something similar, but I use both Windows and Mac so a Cross Platform program like Fontbase is what I use.

LG-

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2021
If anyone can give step-by-step instructions on where to find this Roboto font, maybe others, like myself, can be sure to check in the right places. Chris Bryant found his in Suitcase Fusion, but I am unsure if that is something he has added on or not. The other posts don't directly say where they found the offending font. I don't even know about font packages from Google Font, so anyone who might read this and can take a moment to direct others on how to find the Roboto or San Francisco or other offending fonts, please respond. ?

Something quite similar happened to me yesterday. I went to a Google Sheet in Chrome, already opened and working in from day before, and all the data was blank. The fill colors were there, and the formatting looked the same, but each sheet I went to was blank, or if I scrolled I might get something that looked like Russian. Every Google document I went into was messed up. I tried typing something, but realized I was changing the data in my documents, and had to blindly undo. At times I could read part of a document, but then if I scrolled, it either disappeared or turned into the garbled stuff. I know it was not a language, since I could see little icons like leaves and dingbat-type of cute icons mixed in with letters of every world language.

Just prior to this happening, we were doing a Team meeting over Zoom and when one of the guys tried to share his screen, Google Docs logged him out. A few minutes later another guy was going to share his screen and the same thing happened.

After finding my Google docs all messed up in Chrome, I figured it had to be something on Google, but wasn't getting any Google reports of issues that our department auto-sends us through Hangouts Chat (which of course, could also be going wonky since it is, after all, Google!).

No time to mess around with it, but I noticed Chrome needed to do an update, so clicked the little Update button in the upper right and let Chrome close and do its thing. When I reopened, it was still an issue, so today found this forum. Since I couldn't figure out where Roboto was, and since I never have messed with fonts - no reason and no desire - I saw, again, that Chrome needed an update (did it actually ever update yesterday or not??). I again, Quit Chrome, but never saw anything updating (with the auto-updates, it usually does it automatically after you shut down). After a while, I reopened, and manually checked for updates. It told me it was up to date.

I started looking through my documents, and all the text is normal again. Did it really update, or did I need to re-launch it a few times? And, do I have the Roboto font somewhere??

I went into my settings to Appearance>Customize fonts, not really sure where everyone else was talking about, and my standard font is Times, and in checking that and all the other types of fonts, there isn't even Roboto listed.

Again I wonder if an update or re-launch fixed it, or is this just a fluke and will I see this font issue again?

Again, if anyone who might read this and can take a moment to direct others on how to find the Roboto or San Francisco or other offending fonts, please respond. ?

Opening Finder and doing a search for your Mac and doing a search for "Roboto" should bring it all up. Hitting the plus sign and adding "Name" "Contains" ".ttf" should narrow it down to only font files (Try other font formats like .otf, 1 at a time) Clicking on the file will show you a file path at the bottom of your finder window, double clicking on the parent folder will open the window.

If you do not have any 3rd Font Managers installed, then go to "Applications" and find "Font Book" Open the application and use the search bar to find Roboto, or whatever font you suspect is causing the issue.

From reading your post, I don't suspect you have Roboto installed on your computer. The issue with your Chrome could have been due to Hardware acceleration. To turn it off, go to settings, click on advanced, click on system then hit the toggle on "Use hardware acceleration when available" It is also possible that an auto update had messed something up, through your normal use of the program "triggered" the event, you installed an update that had bug fixes but didnt fix your specific issues and then a later update fixed your specific issue. Ultimately hard to pinpoint what caused the issue on your computer specifically without access to it and with so many open variables.

Mentat2K

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2013
Thank you for this thread.

I have the same problem.
My only not-default font was Helvetica Light.

This was creating problems.

• Love

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Thank you for this thread.

I have the same problem.
My only not-default font was Helvetica Light.

This was creating problems.
Chrome just has these issues with some of the updates. Ever since my reply above, this font issue has happened 2 more times. The font reinstall just corrects it. Odd annoying bug.

jubr

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2024
Also¹ created a new account just to reply to this ;-)
Also² many thanks to @PhillyGuy72 ❤️!

I actually found another way without having to delete any fonts:
- Go to `chrome://settings/fonts` and look for Customize Fonts
- For me, "Standard" and "Serif" were set to Times, changing these fixed it for me.

<shameless-plug>Or, like me, when using the Chrome drop-in replacement Vivaldi you can go to `vivaldi://settings/webpages/` and scroll down to Fonts. Vivaldi has supreme tab support and customizeability, and will import all your Chrome settings. You will never go back, I promise.</shameless-plug>

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.