Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Berserker-UK

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Berkshire, UK
I detect probable PR spin here. Seems to me like Google may be trying to build a groundswell of opinion for the Google Maps App in hope that when they do try to get it approved, this public opinion will influence Apple, on pain of 'bad PR' if they don't.

I'm about as pro-Google Maps as they come (I use Transit almost daily), but perhaps we should all stop debating this ad infinitum and just wait and see.

clarkie604

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
There is no reason for Google to think that Apple won't approve a Google maps app. Apple has approved several Google apps that duplicate iOS services, including a very powerful Siri replacement (Google Search App) and all sorts of non-Google map apps (including apps with turn-by-turn directions).

The basis for Google's concern is that Apple hasn't highlighted apps that use Google's map API. Whether an app is highlighted in the app store is a completely different issue from whether it an app will be approved. Plus, there is a very good reason that apps that use the Google API aren't highlighted -- the apps are subject to Google's API limits and get locked out of the service. Maps+ is completely unusable. You can't even search for an address once the API limit is reached - and the API limit is reached earlier the more users there are. If Apple highlighted the Maps+, the per day limit would be hit even faster.

Google knows this.

anonymouse99

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
I am optimistic that google's map app will be approved. Why? Because Apple wants to sell their hardware to get you in the door!

If google apps were completely removed from its offerings, people who want those apps would go the Android OS route. Apple wants that flexibility of having google apps on their hardware platform running on IOS.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
I sure hope not. Apple Maps has served me well, but an official Google Maps app would quell some of the haters' complaints. Notice I said "official," since I think it would confuse some users if there were unofficial apps that used Google Maps as a backend, like Maps+ as mentioned.

Also, the only 2 grounds I'm aware of that Apple could reject the app on are mimicking features and because they simply don't want to.

Using the mimicking features grounds to reject it seems unlikely, because of this. As for them not wanting to, well, they did make a big fuss about OTHER alternatives to maps. I hope they do the same for Google.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
My issue is that even if/when the google maps app launches, we still won't be able to set it as our default mapping solution, because Apple doesn't allow that. Defaults are those apps which app preloads. Sure you can change your browser or even your music player. But if it is being launched by iOS, and not manually by the user, it's never going to launch an app that you personally specify.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
How is the GSIII with its QUAD core processor lack of good Android hardware? I know the Note 2 is a big but the hardware in that is excellent. Blowing any future iPhone right out of the water.

How is the speed of the processor a component in determining the quality of a hardware device? What is this, the 90's?

You could say that the quality of software design is poor if it underutilized a fast processor, but I don't think that's what the OP was talking about. Quality in a hardware device is more about the engineering quality, component quality, and manufacturing quality. Not the speed of two "quality" chips.

Has my response killed the word quality for you yet?

tzeshan

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2009
Here are some analysis

The Maps app on iOS 5 and earlier were written by Apple not Google. Apple only used Google map database in the app. The new Maps app is also written by Apple. But it used a database by Tomtom.

So Google has never written a Maps app for iOS. OTOH, Google has written an Android Map app for Android since it Android 1.5. It boasted a navigation service in it. This is the main reason Android 1.5 smartphone was able to survive despite the far inferior quality of Android smartphones.

If Google has indeed created a Map app for iOS, will it make it work different from the one in Android OS? I don't think so. Then Google will disappoint with the Android fans who think the Android is better because the Map app.

My conclusion is it is very unlikely Google will ever create a Map app for the iOS.

My faith of Google do no evil lost when Google released the Android OS with navigation.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
Have had no issues with Apple Maps on my 3rd Gen iPad... nor the new iPhone 5.

I'm sure there are others who have had issues... but I'm not one of them.

So for me... I have no need for a Google Maps app. Until I found legitimate fault with Apple Maps... I'm fine using what I already have.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I personally think that Apple will approve this app because the majority of users will still use the standard maps application and not download an alternative, no matter how big of a deal has been made on the tech sites. The overall number of users size 10x that of the tech site users.

However, Google might also use this to their advantage to advertise Google Maps as only being available on Android and by making Apple look like the bad guy for not approving an app when the public has no clue the exact reasons for why the app isn't approved.

I have GPS in my car, as well as a GPS unit I bought before I owned this car. I'm not saying either maps app is perfect, but I have not had issues with the stock maps app for the area where I live aside from a few misplaced restaurants and minor things like that.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I don't see why not, having the option of both will only sell more iPhones even if Google makes a bit of money from ads on iOS market. I just hope that along with YouTube, that native iPad support is in there.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I really hope they approve the Google Maps, one of the reasons I'm hesitating to move to iOS6 is the maps. Last weekend I used Google to get a street view of a location I was looking for. Something we may never see on the Apple Maps. I know it's a small thing but it's very helpful when looking for a building you've never visited before.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can't do that on the web version Google Maps?

I wouldn't even mind paying a few dollars for them just to have Google Maps on my next iPhone.

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009
Google is just acting like a bunch of immature children, which is basically what they are from a mentality point of view, trying to tug on our sympathy strings.

To me, it's just another way to use the media to get attention and sympathy and they are just PA-THE-TIC.

Exactly, I think I remember seeing something about how Apple was asking Google for navigation features and all the cool things that Android maps could do, but Google denied it. And now that Apple dropped the preinstalled Google maps, Google is trying to come out as the good guy.

Just give it time and Apple maps will be just as good, I remember when Google Maps first came out on the computer.. It sucked, it was all about MapQuest. And now look how amazing Google Maps is.

Spooner83

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
I don't think Apple will deny approval. Why would Apple do so? They have approved Google search, which competes with Siri, Gmail, Chrome, etc. Apple has never denied approval of Google apps mimicking features Apple already offers. Why do so now?

Yea but Apple Maps is their baby. They have dropped Google's number one item besides their search, in an attempt to be better than them. I doubt they will approve the google maps app. They're too proud of their failed apple maps.

----------

Someone please release an app then that has turn by turn voice nav for free like Apple Maps has. Google maps shortcut is cool but we shouldn't be looking down every few seconds while driving, the voice is what helps us nav while we are driving.

----------

I really hope they approve the Google Maps, one of the reasons I'm hesitating to move to iOS6 is the maps. Last weekend I used Google to get a street view of a location I was looking for. Something we may never see on the Apple Maps. I know it's a small thing but it's very helpful when looking for a building you've never visited before.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can't do that on the web version Google Maps?

I wouldn't even mind paying a few dollars for them just to have Google Maps on my next iPhone.

Street view started on Google Maps for the web. Not the mobile web, but the web in general.

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2010
You are kidding... How is this even page 3 ready...

Let me make sure I understand this....

An unnamed source, has commented, that they speculate, that a fictional vaporware product, that does not yet exist, will PROBABLY be rejected from Apple before it has been submitted. But they are not sure.

F&^%$ing news sites are just making things up now. The signal is no longer detectable in the noise.

rendevouspoo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2012
Exactly, I think I remember seeing something about how Apple was asking Google for navigation features and all the cool things that Android maps could do, but Google denied it. And now that Apple dropped the preinstalled Google maps, Google is trying to come out as the good guy.

Just give it time and Apple maps will be just as good, I remember when Google Maps first came out on the computer.. It sucked, it was all about MapQuest. And now look how amazing Google Maps is.

Google is the immature children in all this mess? :confused: Apple is the one that isn't letting their customer decide what they want to use. Apple's also the company that has been using immature tactics in the courtroom to back others into a wall. And a HUGE lol to think a map service will be better than Gmaps in the next 5 years.

Spooner83

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
In Orlando, there's so many wrong directions and errors here. I've reported many of these to Apple, yet they still exist. For instance, one main road near international drive takes you to downtown Orlando, but Apple maps keeps saying it's downtown Gainesville lol. Something needs to be done. Someone needs to release an app that works if Apple can't do it right, and and won't approve Google Maps.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Google should DUMP iOS support! Apple has turned arrogant and needs a wake up call to get there attention. Fix their own or admit defeat and use google. Time to **** or get off the pot. I won't upgrade to iOS 6 until apple gets it right, one way or the other.

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
Agreed. Unless Apple includes certain features in Apple maps, like the locations of subway stations then I'm not getting an iPhone 5 this time around.

Why does everyone keep spreading this false statement... Apple Maps has the locations of subway stations. The misconception is that they only show up at a certain zoom level. I guess Apple did this in effort to look clean and simple from out far. Skeuomorphic at its finest with design over functionality. Hoping that newer iOS iterations restore ease of use rather then simplistic design elements.

Also, I'm curious as to the poster who said Apple Maps has been "terrible" in NYC. I've been using it fairly regularly and have ran into little to no problems with the directions or information... In fact, it shows more information that I find "valuable" due to the Yelp integration about certain POI's...

Also, I find all these posts yelling at Apple for "not approving" Google Maps to be comical. Some people have terrible reading skills and can't seem to comprehend exactly what the article said. This article is about an encounter with a GOOGLE employee stating that he doesn't THINK Apple will approve a google maps app that is still under production and has NOT yet been submitted or completed... Furthermore, I am fairly certain that Apple will indeed approve the application when or if it is ever submitted. The Google employee also contradicts himself and uses some sneaky rhetoric to "support" his belief.

He bases this on applications that use Google Maps software "behind the scenes" not being listed under recommended Apple Maps alternatives section. These are APPROVED apps that are on the appstore. Furthermore, these applications he is referring to are not under the recommended section for two possible reasons:
1) These are "soft" mapping applications that don't serve as sufficient and capable mapping applications. Such as, these aren't navigational or universal mapping software. Instead they are probably applications that are specialized such as only good for gas stations and their prices.

2) Apple just spent tons of money, labor hours and research into developing Apple Maps. They don't want to recommend people to go back to Google related mapping systems. Not to say that users can't if they wish to do so, just that Apple doesn't want to advertise on behalf of Google, and rightfully so.

I find this article pointless and unnecessarily harming of Apple for no reason. This is nothing more then hearsay and I am disappointing in macrumors for posting such an article...

*I'm patiently waiting for Tim Cook to release a statement putting Google in their place. Something along the lines of if and/or when Google submits their maps application to the App Store it will be approved as long as it is in compliance with Apple Store rules - just as any other application or mapping software on the App Store.*

Last edited:

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
No google maps no iPhone 5. Well, my 4S will last another two years and by then Apple maps is mature enough or a google maps app is released. I hope Apple doesn't find a way to make me upgrade to iOS6 because then I'm out of luck.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007

Both Apple and Google negotiated the terms with their own best interests in mind. They could not reach an agreement, Apple was asking for Google to include things in iOS maps that Google wanted to keep exclusive to their own Android OS so as to give it an edge over iOS (a perfectly reasonable decision) and Google in exchange for the features Apple was asking for, wanted to include their Latitude app and to have a their own branding on the iOS maps app. Apple refused and so an agreement between both parties could not be reached.

It is hardly about one company being the good guy and the other being the bad guy.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
In the wake of Apple's move to replace the Google-powered Maps app with its own app in iOS 6, Google has been reported by numerous sources to be working on a standalone version of its service to be submitted to the App Store.

It's just a sad fact that Apple can't simply TELL Google whether or not they'll approve the app before wasting resources to make something that may or may not ever get released.

More to the point, it should be up to CONSUMERS whether or not they'll BUY the app, not up to Apple to "allow" it. This BADLY needs to be a LAW in this country. The iPad is NOT a freaking phone. It's a general purpose computer (faster than super computers up through the '90s) with a customized interface. This idea that Apple is allowed to deny apps at will and cancel apps that compete with its new software that is finally coming out (after allowing those apps up until that point and then saying, "Sorry, but we want the money your app is making so we're going to cancel your app and put ours in in its place."

Does that not strike anyone else as a CROCK OF CRAP??? Hardware and Software are two different markets. I've been harping on this for years, but this is REALLY starting to show now that we're beyond stupid Angry Bird apps and claims that iOS is just for "phones" and that "phones" don't have such general use protections. BS. If Apple is going to make tablet computers, they should have to allow any 3rd party software out there for it. If they don't want to put it on their store, then like home computers, there should be an app/browser interface to allow people to CHOOSE to do it themselves. I would imagine Europe would make such a law first since they seem to be far more pro-consume and anti-corporate BS than the Corporate States of America.

I'm sure fanboys think Apple should be allowed to do anything and everything including running the entire country, but consumers should want more choices than just what Apple wants to "allow". That goes for Android or anyone else as well. A computer is an appliance of sorts. Telling me I can't use Brand X toast in my toaster is BS and I shouldn't have to "hack" it to insert that piece of toast either.

No competition for Apps = poor performance for consumers and nothing demonstrates that as well as Apple's own sad-arse mapping software.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
"choice" is bad to Steve Jobs. Remember he said tablets smaller than the ipad should come with sand paper to file your fingers down.
He still around? Of course, before he said that, he influenced the design of this phone, with a 3.5" screen....But I'm sure he meant that comment absolutely literally, no flamboyance in it, at all.

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
This idea that Apple is allowed to deny apps at will and cancel apps that compete with its new software that is finally coming out (after allowing those apps up until that point and then saying, "Sorry, but we want the money your app is making so we're going to cancel your app and put ours in in its place."

Except your argument is flawed. In reference to the emoji app removal. Emoji icons are integrated and unlocked in iOS 6, so you don't need the application to enable it. They are removing the applications because many are charging users money to download an application that essentially does nothing or provides no additional benefit... Furthermore, Apple gets a cut of any revenue that app makers get on their apps through ads or other revenue. So if anything Apple is losing money by doing this.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but please try to refrain from posting inaccurate or false statements on public forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.