Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chickeneaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2022
'Murica
Hello all! As the title says, I have an iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1.4 and I'm wondering if I can use Google Fi on it?

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
Depends on which country you’re in. In the US, the phone will not work on cellular networks due to it not supporting VoLTE.

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
Yeah, I'm in the US. Will the cellular data just not work or everythng?
It will probably not work. I don’t know what Fi’s 3G network policy is, but AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile dropped their 3G network, and the iPhone 5 doesn’t support VoLTE, which phones need to be on the 4G network. I was on an iPhone 5, then Cricket gave me a free iPhone SE 2nd Gen.

chickeneaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2022
'Murica
It will probably not work. I don’t know what Fi’s 3G network policy is, but AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile dropped their 3G network, and the iPhone 5 doesn’t support VoLTE, which phones need to be on the 4G network. I was on an iPhone 5, then Cricket gave me a free iPhone SE 2nd Gen.
Interesting! I thought that the iPhone 5 did support VoLTE. Now I'm interested to see what it says when I put in the Google Fi sim card

Reactions: MmkLucario

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
That’s so cool…iPhone 5 running iOS 6 (acquired just after arriving at college September 2012) was my first foray into the world of Apple phones. Funny how time flies when you’re staring at a screen 😂

chickeneaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2022
'Murica
That’s so cool…iPhone 5 running iOS 6 (acquired just after arriving at college September 2012) was my first foray into the world of Apple phones. Funny how time flies when you’re staring at a screen 😂
That's awesome! You must have some good memories of it!
My first foray into the world of Apple phones was a friends giving me his old 3GS in the spring of 2012. I liked it so much that the summer of 2012 I bought the 4S, although in hindsight I should've waited until September but I was new to the world of iPhones and their releases. I fell in love with iPhones and iOS the moment I started playing with the 3GS, although I had the iPod touch 3rd or 4th gen in the Christmas of 2010

• Love
Reactions: sorgo †

chickeneaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2022
'Murica
Yes…Scott Forestall took things in a direction that would make even Jony’s most expressive designs look cold and soulless :)
Exactly! I feel like there's not that much expression with Ive's design, even though I liked certain things like the parallax and the moving bubbles wallpaper. I've always wondered how control center would have looked like with Forstall's design

Reactions: sorgo †
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.