Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
What's funny is now ya'll know how FanDroids react when Apple releases a new iToy.

$1,300

Tim Cook Responds

Apple-CEO-Calls-Greenlight-Suit-A-Silly-Side-Show-2.jpg

timcooklaughing.jpg

No that's the reaction he had when people actually stood in line to buy the iPhone 5 and iPad mini. He was thinking, 'People will buy anything from us even if we just make it longer and call it innovation.' - Laughing all the way to the bank! ;):D:rolleyes:

And my reaction was quite similar when I saw the price of the mini with those silly specs.

It runs a baby operating system. Nothing for Apple to be worried about.

Maybe Google is going a la iOS with the 'baby operating system.'

And some say Apple is pricy.

No, most say Apple is pricy.

Google is trying *so* hard to be Apple.
Its funny.

Selling under specced mobile devices that are overpriced?

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
I think the square aspect ratio is better for browsing, but it looks horrible. As for the OS, I'd seriously rather use Windows, and that's saying something.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
The likelihood of someone at google stealing your work from it being on their server is as likely as someone breaking into your home and taking your computer. Or someone hacking your account online and grabbing it from your emails or whatnot.

There are hundreds of companies that have their data in the cloud. Are you implying corporations are safer than individuals when it comes to data theft?

That's as exactly what i'm saying - with Cloud your literally giving it to them on a plate - at least with hacking or breaking in they've actually had to do something to get it. - also makes them easier to catch as they've actually done a crime.

If a corporation happens to "borrow" the code on a project you've been working on for years and uses it on there own products - there is no way of proving they have done that.

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
While I think everyone agrees that this new notebook is going to be a failure, I see this machine possibly might be worth getting.

My Reasonings are:

1. The machine is going to be a flop, so very few units will be sold
2. Google as a company will continue to grow
3. As Google continues to grow in popularity with this machine being sold in so few units, it may actually be valuable as a collectors item in a decade or two.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I think the only real reason that Google have released this utter tripe is so that they can take the "highest ppi" title from the rMBP. *sigh* :(

Maybe the reports of a rMBA are true. I'd love an 11.6" model. That said, the high price of the Google Pixel ought to dispel the notion that the rMBP is overpriced. At $1299, the Pixel has 1/2 the RAM, 1/4 the storage, a ULV processor, and USB 2.0.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
1300 bucks, 1/4 the SSD space of a retina macbook pro, 1/2 the ram, slower processor, no real OS, lame. :p

You are better off spending 200 bucks more and getting the 13" rMBP if you want a retina display 13" laptop.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
I think the square aspect ratio is better for browsing, but it looks horrible. As for the OS, I'd seriously rather use Windows, and that's saying something.

Agreed - but luckily at that price you can get a Mac so you wouldn't need to use windozzze.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
What's funny is now ya'll know how FanDroids react when Apple releases a new iToy.

No that's the reaction he had when people actually stood in line to buy the iPhone 5 and iPad mini. He was thinking, 'People will buy anything from us even if we just make it longer and call it innovation.' - Laughing all the way to the bank! ;):D:rolleyes:

And my reaction was quite similar when I saw the price of the mini with those silly specs.

Maybe Google is going a la iOS with the 'baby operating system.'

No, most say Apple is pricy.

Selling under specced mobile devices that are overpriced?

I think we're all talking about different companies here. Apple makes devices that top performance charts for years after they are first released. Not only that but Apple doesn't seem to care about just specs. Why? Because specs are useless if you pair it with POS like Samsung and their devices. Take a good look at Sony's Xperia Z or HTC's Droid DNA/Butterfly or HTC One. That is similar to what Apple does. Beautiful devices that also scream chart topping performance.

Most Android phones either A) suck in both areas B) excel in one or C) POS like Samsung. Rarely do you see something so wonderfully crafted like what Sony or HTC has created recently.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I agree 1000000%!! what a knock off! :apple:

A bad knockoff though. Now if they had someone with an English accent using words like "extraordinary" and "incredibly thin and light" then you'd be in knockoff territory. :D

DrStern

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2012
Torrance, CA
Wow... Just... Wow

Google keeps pumping out the trash, their margins suck, and they have no business model other than "cheap". yet, their stock jumps from 500 to 800 in a year. In the mean time, Apple continues to produce the products everyone else tries to copy, reports their largest quarterly profit in company history, and their stock tanks by 40% in 5 months - half of it in the last 30 days. "Smart money?" Yeah, the same smart money that brought us the Internet bubble little more than a decade ago. They still have no idea about tech.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I get this from market reports. Android share in smart phones right now is around 70% (started from 0%). iPad's share down from 90% to about 50% and dropping fast.

Those tablet reports are wildly skewed. They are counting all the android devices sitting on shelves in stores versus iPads actually in consumers hands. If you look at web usage the ipad is absolutely dominating in tablet usage

http://mashable.com/2012/12/28/ipad-web-usage-tablets/

Last edited:

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Agreed - but luckily at that price you can get a Mac so you wouldn't need to use windozzze.

True. Wow, it's rare that you'd find something that sucks so much and costs as much as Apple devices. I didn't even consider that.

----------

I get this from market reports. Android share in smart phones right now is around 70% (started from 0%). iPad's share down from 90% to about 50% and dropping fast.

Apple market share also started at 0%. I was that guy in swimming class who go the most improvement awards...

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I agree 1000000%!! what a knock off! :apple:

What's so ironic is while other companies are copying Apple's way of introducing new hardware. With Jonny Ive et.al. what they are really doing is validating and making Apple look like the real deal and making their company look like the emulator.

In other words it bites them in the butt.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I've never seen any indication that Apple would love to be in the advertising business. Like most of their services, iAd was most likely meant to be a driver for hardware sales by attempting to increase the revenues for iOS developers that choose to use advertising. (The swipe at Google was probably also a factor. :)) The also sought to increase the quality of iOS advertising.

You've never seen any indication. Whoa. Ok. Sure you haven't. And all the things you line list are marketing points. They aren't the root/core reason Apple went into advertising.

That's as exactly what i'm saying - with Cloud your literally giving it to them on a plate - at least with hacking or breaking in they've actually had to do something to get it. - also makes them easier to catch as they've actually done a crime.

If a corporation happens to "borrow" the code on a project you've been working on for years and uses it on there own products - there is no way of proving they have done that.

That's not what I was saying. You're not giving anyone anything on a plate. Your data is as safe no matter what scenario I listed.

And why are you limiting data to "code" as opposed to any other data that could exist that a company can "borrow."

Bottom line - google can't sell or steal your personal data. And it certainly makes perfect sense for them not to. If they did - they'd be done. Period.

You can personally not trust them or any cloud service you like. But spread FUD that they sell, can steal, etc your data is wrong. Especially if you're stating it solely about google and not about every cloud service.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromebook-pixel/#pixel-google

Hmmm... that website: the product shots, the gradient headers, the backlit keyboard, the glass touchpad. Really reminds me of something, just can't put my finger on it.

Yeah, it boots in seconds, because it's... errr just a browser. Good luck with the greesy smears on the screen and the RSI.

What a crock of **** :rolleyes:

"Pixel's bright and colorful high resolution display makes videos on YouTube more stunning and engaging." That's pretty funny.

By the way, a rMBP boots in about 10 seconds. SSDs are crazy fast.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Has nobody noticed that this thing is a knockoff of a MacBook Pro in design? I really thought Google was better than this. Google is usually a leader in design (no, not being sarcastic), but not this time:

uFdz2FZ0TKkbz4-6GsThfPzWncNNMbmf9-_ob1wJs7OoPSpH3pPaZc_CqmBo8k1H03I=w346

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.