Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fpsBeaTt

Suspended
Apr 18, 2010
Or you could backup your claim with a link. I hear that's an effective way to defend forum posts.

Or I could just not waste my time with a frivolous argument that's already been settled. I'm not going to post links supporting the assertion that we live on a spherical world, either.

Renzatic

Suspended
Or I could just not waste my time with a frivolous argument that's already been settled. I'm not going to post links supporting the assertion that we live on a spherical world, either.

Graceful way to bail, man. If you can't win an argument, the next best thing is a throwing out a disdainful attitude and maybe abuse the :rolleyes: emote two or three times. Makes you look clever.

But for next time, he's right. If you claim something, the onus is on you to back it up.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Finish this sentence.

"My iPad is more functional than this Chromebook because _________".

I mean real ways, functional things.

Less than half the weight.
More than twice the battery life.
Infinitely more native and useful apps.
Runs apps faster.
Has front and rear facing camera.
Better integration with the Apple eco-system.
Has GPS with the 3G model.

Suspended
Feb 24, 2011
You could buy a Surface Pro 128GB with the type cover, Microsoft Office, a 64GB micro SD card and have money left over vs the Pixel.

I have seen the surface in the store recently, while i think it's nice that it has a real desktop and windows app support, i found the keyboard was pretty lousy. usability of windows 8 metro seems pretty nice (and i am saying this coming mainly from iOS background), using normal apps is cool but not optimal yet, because buttons are really too small. - Does it offer something like a "zoom in" mode? anybody knows it better?

rasterops

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2013
From a design point of view...

Looking like a square block, it's not really offering any human interaction. Who wants to touch or interact with a brick besides brick layers.

AND

The fact that they claim it comes with free anti-virus software (correct me if I'm wrong) is immediately giving the impression that the OS is vulnerable and not secure. I know that no system is ever secure but why would you even make that a selling point?

Last edited:

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Looking like a square block, it's not really offering any human interaction. Who wants to touch or interact with a brick besides brick layers.

AND

The fact that they claim it comes with free anti-virus software (correct me if I'm wrong) is immediately giving the impression that the OS is vulnerable and not secure. I know that no system is ever secure but why would you even make that a selling point?

No, it doesn't have any antivirus

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
"Pixel boots-up in seconds and stays fast, requires almost zero setup or maintenance, and comes with virus protection built-in."

From the Chromebook website...

Yap, missleading words. Chromebooks doesn't have any antivirus because they don't need any antivirus, tht's what means virus protection built in.

rasterops

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2013
Yap, missleading words. Chromebooks doesn't have any antivirus because they don't need any antivirus, tht's what means virus protection built in.
You have a point. What I'm suggesting is that's its a mistake to market any OS based on its security. And that sort of marketing may lead some users to think that the system isn't secure.

Last edited:

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
This Chromebook is a joke. I doubt even Google's hardcore fans will be lining up to buy it.

And futhermore - does Google copy Apple's marketing now? Seriously? The ad looks just like Apple's and their naming is ridiculous too. MacBook -> ChromeBook. What a joke.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
Maybe if it was possible to cram in it an usable operating system like OS X or windows the price tag would become less ridiculous, but it would remain a joke and a knockoff of Apple products.

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
"Junk OS"

"Browser"

Man, I get the feeling the people on here haven't actually ever used Chrome OS and get their information from their local Best Buy...

Let us know when you can get Office or Photoshop or AutoCAD or any other real software for Chrome OS. Quite a few people actually use their laptops for more than surfing the web and reading emails. The ones that don't are moving on to tablets in vast numbers.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Less than half the weight.
More than twice the battery life.
Infinitely more native and useful apps.
Runs apps faster.
Has front and rear facing camera.
Better integration with the Apple eco-system.
Has GPS with the 3G model.

My samsung chromebook weighs 2.4lbs - the current iPad? 1.44. Not less than half.

C: runs for 6 hours. i: up to 10 hours. Not more than twice

Maybe your list (at least the first two) are based on the Pixel and not ALL chromebooks?

There are pluses and minuses to both devices. It really comes down to individual use cases. I have both devices and use them both quite differently with some overlap.

fpsBeaTt

Suspended
Apr 18, 2010
Graceful way to bail, man. If you can't win an argument, the next best thing is a throwing out a disdainful attitude and maybe abuse the :rolleyes: emote two or three times. Makes you look clever.

But for next time, he's right. If you claim something, the onus is on you to back it up.

Wasn't an argument, his dispute was pointless and easily refuted; I'm just tired of having the same argument repeatedly. I wouldn't say I was disdainful, merely dismissive of a person who routinely makes fatuous remarks; I'm no longer interested in the pencils being sold from his cup.

For your sake, however, I will post this this. Please note that this is no longer the case, as the Oppo Finder was later released in China.

----------

Or you don't post the links because your claims are false

You and Samcraig are two of a kind, aren't you? You're both adorable and a pleasure to play with. ;)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
For your sake, however, I will post this this. Please note that this is no longer the case, as the Oppo Finder was later released in China.

Hmmm. So what you're saying is that at the time of the keynote, the execs at Apple were wrong in claiming the world's thinnest smartphone because neither their phone nor the Oppo was released yet.

If you want to argue that for a short time, the iPhone 5 was the world's thinnest - go ahead.

The Oppo's announcement came well before the iPhone 5. So did pre-orders.

So the claim at the keynote was, as I originally wrote, wasn't accurate.

Which is why, I believe, someone backstage did what you suggested. They google'd it. And found that their statement wasn't quite accurate and they'd get called on it. In fact they were. And my further assessment seems accurate too. Once they realized they might be pushing the envelope with that one - they changed their rhetoric at the end and on their website to the thinnest iPhone yet.

It shouldn't matter if I ask for a source or someone else. The issue is the same. If you're going to make a claim, don't tell someone to google it. The burden of proof was on you. If you think my comments are fatuous - I can only imagine what you think of 90 percent of the posts here from people talking out of their backsides.

And if you're not interested in seeking/discussing truths - then yes - feel free to walk away from the "pencils sold" in my cup.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
I think if Chromebook doesn't even allow offline work, because all those apps only work online, then it is not a personal computer anymore.

You just made my point! It isn't. It's essentially a $1,300 tablet (from any manufacturer) stuffed into a laptop's physical body for USB ports and a SD-reader. Battery life, cloud-based OS (no software/hardware), even a required internet plan after the free service expires (like wifi/non-wifi iPads).

I don't get it.

For another $50 you can get an actual laptop that runs an actual operating system that runs actual applications and can function in an real world environment as it exists right now. I just don't see how this makes sense, sorry.

Or for $300 ($1,000 less) you can buy any bottom of the line laptop and still have something more functional. LOL

I agree with you, and for $500 ($800 less) you can buy Nexus 10, which has the highest definition display any mobile gadget ever have and the most successful O/S Google is having. Nexus 10 also has lots of actual apps which works offline too.

Thus I would say Google should actually make AndroidBook instead of this ridiculous ChromeBook. And tbh I can't define Chrome as an OS either, it is simply just a web browser.

Last edited:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I have seen the surface in the store recently, while i think it's nice that it has a real desktop and windows app support, i found the keyboard was pretty lousy. usability of windows 8 metro seems pretty nice (and i am saying this coming mainly from iOS background), using normal apps is cool but not optimal yet, because buttons are really too small. - Does it offer something like a "zoom in" mode? anybody knows it better?

I thought that the type keyboard worked well when I tested it but I really don't care for the touch cover. There are three settings for text sizes and I found that it had to be set to the largest size to be comfortable for me. When I first started playing around it was set to the smallest size which was way too small. I think there is also a magnifying glass function that will enlarge a small area. I'm thinking that the included stylus would make things easier but that wasn't on display with the demo unit where I tried it.

Liquorpuki is a user here who recently bought the Pro. He could give more details. He has posted some of his opinions in a couple of threads here.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Thats' a compelling case for the 1300 dollar computer.:D

I never said it was. :rolleyes: Have you read this thread and my earlier posts?

"I think if Chromebook doesn't even allow offline work, because all those apps only work online, then it is not a personal computer anymore."

The above is what I was commenting on. So the chromebook CAN be (according to the OPs definition) can be called a personal computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.