'Google Mobile App' Updated With Redesigned Results, Integrated Browser Functionality

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 10, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Google yesterday announced an update to its Google Mobile App [App Store, Free], which has proven popular due to its voice-enabled search capabilities.

Among the changes in the new update are a redesigned search results display and the inclusion of an integrated browser to allow direct loading of Web pages from the search results.
    Also included in the new update are previously-hidden visual tweaks and the ability to select a spoken language or accent for greater recognition accuracy in voice-enabled search.

Article Link: 'Google Mobile App' Updated With Redesigned Results, Integrated Browser Functionality

2. macrumors 65816

zombitronic

I really like this app. The only thing that would make it better, IMO, is if it weren't a stand-alone app at all. I'd love to have the voice feature built into Safari.

3. macrumors 6502a

miketcool

I do enjoy integrated voice searching within my WebKit based browser on my phone...

I doubt Google will open that up on the iPhone because its a nice exclusivity on Android.

4. macrumors 68020

Sneaky way for el Goog to get Chrome onto the iPhone huh! :p

5. macrumors 6502

nickXedge

lol, I was thinking the same thing!

6. macrumors regular

This update has all the makings of something really momentous... the word Google AND the word Voice... just not in the right freaking order....

I don't care about any updates to the Google Mobile App for iPhone that doesn't include Google Voice...

Besides this is only half as cool as Google Voice based search with GPS integration for Android.

7. macrumors 6502

Lack of landscape view for web pages makes it less than ideal.

8. macrumors 6502a

Nah, I don't think they are using Chrome here. All apps that use the browser traditionally are using the safari API to my knowledge. Chrome is just webkit with a different javascript engine anyhow. I doubt you even see any performance gains on an iphone with Chrome vs Safari.

9. macrumors newbie

Tapbot does make elegant applications, which is likely what the OP was referring to. Pastebot clearly employed the same design strategies in Tapbot.