Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

120258-google-mobile-app-iphone.png

Google yesterday announced an update to its Google Mobile App [App Store, Free], which has proven popular due to its voice-enabled search capabilities.

Among the changes in the new update are a redesigned search results display and the inclusion of an integrated browser to allow direct loading of Web pages from the search results.
In this version, we have a redesigned search results display that shows more results at once and, more importantly, opens web pages from the results within the app. This will get you to what you need faster, which is always our goal at Google.
Also included in the new update are previously-hidden visual tweaks and the ability to select a spoken language or accent for greater recognition accuracy in voice-enabled search.

Article Link: 'Google Mobile App' Updated With Redesigned Results, Integrated Browser Functionality

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
I really like this app. The only thing that would make it better, IMO, is if it weren't a stand-alone app at all. I'd love to have the voice feature built into Safari.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
I really like this app. The only thing that would make it better, IMO, is if it weren't a stand-alone app at all. I'd love to have the voice feature built into Safari.

I do enjoy integrated voice searching within my WebKit based browser on my phone...

I doubt Google will open that up on the iPhone because its a nice exclusivity on Android.

jb510

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
This update has all the makings of something really momentous... the word Google AND the word Voice... just not in the right freaking order....

I don't care about any updates to the Google Mobile App for iPhone that doesn't include Google Voice...

Besides this is only half as cool as Google Voice based search with GPS integration for Android.

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Nah, I don't think they are using Chrome here. All apps that use the browser traditionally are using the safari API to my knowledge. Chrome is just webkit with a different javascript engine anyhow. I doubt you even see any performance gains on an iphone with Chrome vs Safari.

satcishul

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2009
Tapbot does make elegant applications, which is likely what the OP was referring to. Pastebot clearly employed the same design strategies in Tapbot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.