Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
How could it be possible for Android to have THAT many more phones in the wild, yet iOS users are the ones that create most of the traffic?

Reasons cited in these pages:

Android phones are not smart phones at all! They are really just feature phones.

Android users are so poor that they never buy anything!

Samsung just cite "Shipped" numbers. Those phones are never "sold". They are all sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Interesting bit:

The most recent statistics show 16.5% of Android users running Android 4.1 or newer, with a maximum of 1 billion Android devices (many of them old and not used anymore, so real usage numbers are most likely lower) there are 165 million devices capable of using Google Now.

When Google releases Google Now for iOS (requiring iOS6 (or 5? doesn't really matter), there are more than 300 million iOS devices capable of running Google Now for iOS.

Imho, it would probably be more profitable for Google to release their apps on iOS FIRST.

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
Nope, it's more like Google Spy. As in, we'll suck all the information out of your phone and your accounts and pop up ads, uhm I mean recommendations ;), as you walk down the block. Google Now is spyware.

If some of you are so worried about Google collecting data on where you have been or what you search for...then don't use it. Its that simple.
If your worried about privacy then you might as well stop using your computer..phones and credit cards. Imagine all the info someone can grab when you simply hand them your credit card to pay for something.
Maybe its just me but I really don't care if Google tracks my location or what I search for.
If you want to use latest technology and apps..well your going to lose some of your "privacy".

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Imho, it would probably be more profitable for Google to release their apps on iOS FIRST.
Purely from ad revenue, agreed. But don't forget Google Play, which makes the bulk of its money off Android devices.

The more people who use (modern) Android devices, the better for Google. That said, they'll also accept money from iDevice users as well, of course.

What keeps my iPhone hanging around is Messages (it's basically an iPod Touch now). I realize there are alternatives, but, for now, that locks me in. I use the Nexus 4 for pretty much literally everything else when on a mobile device, and the Messages hold is growing ever more tenuous.

I can't foresee a day where I'll stop preferring OS X (or it's successors), but iOS holds little appeal now compared to Jelly Bean 4.2. However... I am really, really interested to see what Ive can pull off. He could bring me back.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Purely from ad revenue, agreed. But don't forget Google Play, which makes the bulk of its money off Android devices.

Not even Apple is making lots of money from the Appstore, it took them more than 50 months to earn 3 billion dollars from app revenues (they paid out 7 billion (70% of the price of apps sold) to developers in january).
Only very recently there was a significant increase in their earnings from the appstore (they reported they paid out 8 billion to developers in february, so they made 1 billion in a little more than a month).

Unlike Apple, Google isn't releasing numbers like those frequently (even their daily activation numbers are from September of last year, iirc), but the last time they released them, they were not remotely in the same league as those reported by Apple.

I doubt that Google is making a lot from their Google Play appstore.

It would probably more profitable for Google to release a "How to implement Google ads in your iOS app"-SDK, if there isn't one already.

And you have to remember that Google is hurting the relationship they had with Apple with Android - removal of included YouTube- and Google-based mapping apps was most likely a part of the thermonuclear war, Steve talked about.

Google created Android as a countermeasure to stop Microsoft from dominating smartphones with Windows Mobile (and Bing) - but Apple crushed Windows Mobile and was good friends with Google.

Instead of fostering that relationship and becoming the prime provider of search on Apple devices, they abandoned that relationship, paid lots of money for Android developement, to buy Motorola (to get their patents as a defensive weapon) etc.

iOS is more profitable for Google (higher usage, some have already mentioned that in this thread and i don't want to repeat their sources) and more people will be able to use Google's newest toys when they are released on iOS than on Android, where they have been released more than half a year ago.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I can't foresee a day where I'll stop preferring OS X (or it's successors),

I foresee Apple dropping OSX completely within the next 5 years. It generates less and less revenue every single passing day.

----------

And you have to remember that Google is hurting the relationship they had with Apple with Android - removal of included YouTube- and Google-based mapping apps was most likely a part of the thermonuclear war, Steve talked about.

If so, then Apple is truing to win a nuclear war by using a pea shooter. No wonder they are making such pathetic progress.

Renzatic

Suspended
I foresee Apple dropping OSX completely within the next 5 years. It generates less and less revenue every single passing day.

Eh, not really. Mac sales aren't anywhere close to matching the iPhone, but they are on a nice upswing at the moment.

----------

If so, then Apple is truing to win a nuclear war by using a pea shooter. No wonder they are making zero progress.

Yeah, that guy's argument makes no sense. Apple spited Google by removing the default apps, only to turn around and let Google offer even better ones through the app store for everyone to get. Makes. Total. Sense.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
I'm not sure about that. Once iOS folks start to see what sorts of capabilities Android phones have, they likely will continue to switch to Android - maybe even faster than they are already switching to Android.

that's just wishful thinking

pokerplayer73

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Florida, USA
Love my iPhone 4S, but feel that Google Apps are the best on iPhone. specially - New Youtube app, Maps App and Google Voice Search(beats Siri hands down - no competition). Glad that Google is adding Now to Google Search app. will be fun to try out. This is one software feature that had me thinking to buy Nexus 4. But, if it is available on iPhone, then best of both worlds.

Not sure how good these apps are on iPad/iPadMini. Can anybody comment?

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Yeah, that guy's argument makes no sense. Apple spited Google by removing the default apps, only to turn around and let Google offer even better ones through the app store for everyone to get. Makes. Total. Sense.

To get better default Apps with Google's support, Apple would have had to give Google more access to the users data, something which Apple would never do.

If people want to hand THEIR souls to Google, Apple won't stop them.

But Apple won't hand YOUR soul to Google.

It's kinda like an opt-in model, which should also remind you of the time Apple enraged all the world's publishers by not handing them the personal information of each user who subscribed to their newspaper on the iPad, but instead created an opt-in model, the app asking the people if they would like to share their adress with the publisher.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I doubt that Google is making a lot from their Google Play appstore.
Agreed, but I see that changing significantly in the near future. More higher-end Android - and in particular, Google - phones are being sold to people who are as affluent as iPhone buyers, and those consumers are just as willing to buy content as their iPhone-using equivalents.

Play will become more profitable, and it behooves Google to get people onto their devices. Not just Android devices (where, certainly at the lower end, user experience is terrible and web browsing/app buying/movie renting are extremely limited), but Google devices in particular.

Getting people used to Google apps on iOS will make it easier to get them to consider buying a Nexus 4, for example. And when an iPhone user switches to a Nexus 4, that user isn't suddenly going to turn into the stereotypical cheap Android fanboi... no, that user is going to buy content on Play.

Renzatic

Suspended
But Apple won't hand YOUR soul to Google.

Right. Apple would much rather have that information for themselves. Don't make them out to be the good guys in the fight for your privacy here. They're almost as bad as Google is when it comes to tracking what you do through their services.

It's kinda like an opt-in model, which should also remind you of the time Apple enraged all the world's publishers by not handing them the personal information of each user who subscribed to their newspaper on the iPad, but instead created an opt-in model, the app asking the people if they would like to share their adress with the publisher.

Got a link for this?

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Fair enough, I'm man enough to admit when I was wrong.

But I don't get this at all. I have both an iPhone and Galaxy S3 and I'm easily 10 times more likely to surf, shop, and buy using my S3 than I am my iPhone. The larger screen alone is all the reason I need.

Something about this just doesn't seem right. I'm not doubting the numbers, but it feels like something is skewing the results they're presenting. How could it be possible for Android to have THAT many more phones in the wild, yet iOS users are the ones that create most of the traffic?

Well, my opinion is that the typical Android user is not who you'd think it would be. It's not a sophisticated user, but a value seeking user. "I need a smartphone, but I don't need a fancy one, just something cheap." That person I bet is the overwhelming majority, and the smart guys who are the most vocal "fanDroids" are like the Twitter version of the real story. Case-in-point, most Android phones are still using old versions of Android. People don't care/don't know how to update. They just want a phone that can technically do all those cool things smartphones can do, but they don't do much more than text, email and phone calls, and a few games.

----------

Right. Apple would much rather have that information for themselves. Don't make them out to be the good guys in the fight for your privacy here. They're almost as bad as Google is when it comes to tracking what you do through their services.

True, but Im pretty sure bots don't read your emails from me.com/icloud.com, and when you delete your email, it's really deleted and not kept forever in a database. I could be wrong, but gmail is proven that they do this and I've never heard anyone claim that Apple did this.

Renzatic

Suspended
Well, my opinion is that the typical Android user is not who you'd think it would be. It's not a sophisticated user, but a value seeking user. "I need a smartphone, but I don't need a fancy one, just something cheap." That person I bet is the overwhelming majority, and the smart guys who are the most vocal "fanDroids" are like the Twitter version of the real story. Case-in-point, most Android phones are still using old versions of Android. People don't care/don't know how to update. They just want a phone that can technically do all those cool things smartphones can do, but they don't do much more than text, email and phone calls, and a few games.

Honestly, you could make that same argument about anyone who uses a smartphone. I doubt the millions of grandmas using iPhones are somehow more tech savvy than the millions of grandmas using Android.

Renzatic

Suspended
True, but Im pretty sure bots don't read your emails from me.com/icloud.com, and when you delete your email, it's really deleted and not kept forever in a database. I could be wrong, but gmail is proven that they do this and I've never heard anyone claim that Apple did this.

The not-really-deleted email has always been something that's confused me. Seems like a huge waste of resources to me, and I don't know exactly what to make of it.

But the bots reading your email thing is way overblown. It's not actually reading what you've written. Rather it's scanning the body of text for words. A little weird? Yeah. An absolute invasion of your privacy? Not really.

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
Fair enough, I'm man enough to admit when I was wrong.

But I don't get this at all. I have both an iPhone and Galaxy S3 and I'm easily 10 times more likely to surf, shop, and buy using my S3 than I am my iPhone. The larger screen alone is all the reason I need.

Something about this just doesn't seem right. I'm not doubting the numbers, but it feels like something is skewing the results they're presenting. How could it be possible for Android to have THAT many more phones in the wild, yet iOS users are the ones that create most of the traffic?

Good points. I also have the GS3. I probably dont use it like most though. I dont game much..or even use it as a phone. Man I hate talking on the phone. Id rather just text. I know anti-social. I guess I just like to tweak and flash custom ROM's to try out. To me its kind of a "toy".
But there are 2 ipads in the house (not mine) and I have a galaxy tab. But any surfing browsing i just use my phone.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Good points. I also have the GS3. I probably dont use it like most though. I dont game much..or even use it as a phone. Man I hate talking on the phone. Id rather just text. I know anti-social. I guess I just like to tweak and flash custom ROM's to try out. To me its kind of a "toy".
But there are 2 ipads in the house (not mine) and I have a galaxy tab. But any surfing browsing i just use my phone.

Since I've had my S3, I've found that I use my Nexus 7 a lot less than before. It's just easier to have it nearby and the fact that I can have a SD card in my phone allows me to save whatever I come across on Twitter or Reddit and not have to worry about space (I love finding funny memes or pictures and texting them later on).

I don't game at all, really. I have all the Angry Birds games sitting in the App Store waiting to be downloaded to my iPhone, but since I rarely carry it, I haven't bothered to re-download them.

I can totally see how a phone like the S3/S4 and Note/Note 2/Note 3 can easily take the place of a tablet. It's more portable, you've got it with you all the time, and you have the option of expanded memory. And the obvious thing is, you've got that huge screen, so it's much easier to surf/Reddit/whatever on.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
Cool!

I'm very ready for this to be integrated into the Google Search app!!

I use the Google Search app all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.