Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Upgraded w Verizon for an iPhone15 ProMax. Using iOS17.4. Google blocks my new device using Google mailboxes. Anyone know how to get Google to accept my new iPhone?

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Previous years Migration was never an issue w Google mailboxes. Bingo, disaster in iOS 17.4.1. Have worked on this process all week. I finally figured out what Google needs to re-add my mailboxes in Apple Mail, and how to reassure Google I am not a thief. I hope I can remember. You will need 2 devices, if 2 before the new iPhone DISASTER:

1. On the new iPhone/Settings/Mail/Accounts. Trash any Accounts in Apple Mail on new iPhone EXCEPT iCloud.
2. Trash Google, Google Mail, Google Authenticator, Google Maps apps on new iPhone.
3. Trash Safari History and Website Data on new iPhone
4. Reboot new iPhone, then, re-add Google app, Google Mail, Google Authenticator, Google Maps to both devices.

On any mailboxes you add to the new iPhone, you must be SIGNED OUT of them on ANY device.

5. Starting on the new iPhone, Settings/Mail/Accounts, add 1 mailbox address. First box, enter email account address. Next box, the account password. C A U T I O N: Afterwords read the paragraph order below the authenticator number. Where is it telling you to go? An app, a second device, where? Go and select the number you were given from the 3 #s. Sometimes I was immediately given a second authenticator number for the same address, READ where to authenticate, don't fail this.

6. If a mailbox was signed out, if you authenticate following instructions correctly, you can add mailboxes back to your new iPhone. I spent most the week doing it wrong. But this worked for Google mailboxes. Oh, despite following these instructions, Google will demand you authenticate over and over. I can't explain it. I think Googles authentication rules suck big time. I just did not want to change all my email addresses I have collected buying software and using the computer for 20+ years.

7. Sometime this week I found a menu to shut off Google Two step authentication. I did. But I don't know if it had an affect at all. If I remember anything more I'll add.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.