Google Releases Updated Maps for iOS SDK, Opens API Keys to All Developers

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 21, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    When Google released Google Maps for iOS in December, it also announced an SDK that iOS developers could use to implement Google Maps in their apps rather than Apple's mapping solution.

Tonight, Google announced an updated Maps SDK that adds ground overlay support and makes API keys available to all developers via the Google API Console. Previously, developers had to register and wait to be granted access to keys.

Now that keys are freely available, it's likely that more developers will use Google Maps in their apps. Some developers may decide to allow users to choose between Google and Apple's maps, much like the recently released Sunrise calendar app.

Google has also included a sample app in the SDK that developers can use to learn how to use Google Maps in their apps and released a video (above) demonstrating some of the SDK's features.

Article Link: Google Releases Updated Maps for iOS SDK, Opens API Keys to All Developers

2. macrumors regular

nice, but I still need my public transportation back that was lost when iOS 6 came out

3. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

I'm just wondering when 1.0.1 will come out. I want night-mode!

4. macrumors 6502a

Maybe Apple should think about using this API in their Maps app :D.

5. macrumors G5

jav6454

Oh man, this means all those Bing maps driven applications are now, bye-bye.

6. macrumors 6502a

a0me

Public transportaion is available on the current Google Maps app. What do you mean?

7. macrumors member

KazuSnow

Down under

Not in every country - Australia lost it with the "upgrade" :(

8. macrumors 68000

lamina

Where is Google Maps for iPad? Apple Maps is cool too, but COME ON.

9. macrumors G5

jav6454

Agreed, although... I bet Google is working on something better. More real estate better interface.

10. macrumors 6502

Please, developers, yes!!

11. macrumors 6502

Nice! Choice is good, though I'll probably be using Apple Maps except for navigation (since the iPhone 4 cannot do turn-by-turn with it, only with Google Maps).

----------

I really do not like the Google Maps interface, and lags for me. But I'm really glad they brought turn-by-turn to the iPhone 4 and earlier!

12. macrumors 68000

What upgrade? There's been only one release of Google Maps and it has transit directions for Australia according to Google's website. Apple Maps lost built-in transit directions in the iOS 6 update not Google Maps.

13. macrumors member

Okay thanks Googz now can we have an update for the App itself? I wake up in the middle of the night and check the AppStore and go to sleep disappointed.

For serious:
    Addresses from Contacts
    Recent Searches
    Massage spots with happy endings

14. macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

Am I the only one that actually likes Apple Maps? :p

15. macrumors regular

I like them too, but I live in an area where I have had no issues with Apple maps.

I do think that choices help foster competition, and competition between Google and Apple, albeit outside of the courtrooms, really will benifit the consumers the most.

16. macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

It's alright. I don't have a big problem with the inaccuracies, as Google's own maps are hardly flawless.

17. macrumors 6502

OtherJesus

Wow google sure works fast when they are totally cut off from stock iOS.

Goes to show that they do not have our best interest in mind.

18. macrumors regular

lwapps

Phew I was wondering when I could stop subjecting people to Apple Maps.

----------

Very true! Although I do fail to see how Google profit from making a maps application which makes their competitors phone a lot more valuable.

19. macrumors regular

Google never developed the stock iOS app, nor did Apple give them any advance warning on its demise. If Apple Maps wasn't such a disaster, I doubt Apple would even have allowed apps to use competing maps services.

----------

Advertising. It's Google's bread and butter. Far more valuable than Android or any of their hardware.

20. macrumors 6502a

Why do you need Google maps for iPad? Do you need 8-10" GPS display in your car? Plug in 40" Plasma then, and get over with it.

21. macrumors Core

alphaod

That's good, but I do hope it's a choice. I wouldn't want to be forced to use one map over the other. For example in the US, Google maps is great but in China, Apple maps seems to have more up to date maps and POIs.

22. macrumors 6502

Trying to grow from a search company

23. macrumors 6502a

mw360

The same way they profit from giving away Android for free, or Docs, or GMail.

24. macrumors G5

gnasher729

Since Apple was paying Google major amounts of money every year for Google Maps (high eight or low nine digits), and stopped paying a penny to Google for map data since, I doubt that Google didn't know about this.

25. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I thought Apple's contract still had over a year left to run when they dropped Google?

If so they must still be paying (or have paid off) Google.