Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
Apple's a bit like a teenager. It wants to get rid of Google Maps before it's ready to. Google comes off looking like the benevolent parent, letting Apple continue tinkering with its Maps program while it provides the basics in the mean time, even knowing it is giving Apple a chance to eventually surpass Google Maps.

You’re assuming Google didn’t withdraw its support. Remember Google wants to serve ads something they can’t do in the previous App. Conversely Apple wanted/needed turn-by-turn directions, but Google required the ability to serve ads. Both companies had objectives that were in contrast with the other.

Google back in 2010 was getting 10,000 user submitted corrections to maps every single day, that’s a lot of crowd sourced data, not to mention the passive data acquisition like traffic patterns.

Maps is going to be a bumpy ride for a while, but it was always going to be a bumpy ride regardless of when Apple launched the App.

bjones521

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
Apple has very little to gain by keeping Google Maps off IOS and a lot to lose.

They didn't get to be the most valuable company in the world by making bad business decisions for the sake of sticking it to a competitor.

I disagree...If nobody uses apple maps and uses googles, how will apple maps data get better?? The more people using and adding data the better I thought.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
The maps app is ****. We know it.

It takes time to develop such things. The whole AI and ML behind this insane. Google had a pretty big head start. This will only get better if we use it.

I'm not sure people resulted with the same comments when Google launched it back in the day.

To make Apple maps better, you got to use it. I've moved to the US and have been using it for a month. It works great for me but it was pathetic when I was back in India.

Another instance where consumers just need things ready and cannot accept a change and help to make a technology better. Duh!

Hear! Hear!

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
Apple needed to realease native turn by turn, Google wouldn't give them the API for it through Google maps (or wanted to charge too much), thus Apple maps was born.

Google wants iOS users still using its services because that's how they make money. iOS Google Maps submitted to App store, Apple approves. People are in more or less the same position they were before.

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
I disagree that Google should provide an app for their maps. They should keep it as a competitive advantage.

All I know is I'm happy to have an Android phone for navigation and my iPhone for work and occasional nav.

Android remains my go-to for around the country navigation. Why would Google give this competitive advantage back to Apple? It's strange from a business perspective.

Google should keep it's maps on Android. Want awesome maps that took decades to build? Don't get an iPhone.

Google should sit back and watch millions of iPhone users complain about the quality of Apple's maps and smile...Google has a true a competitive advantage here and they should protect it, IMO.

google are in the information business. Maps on iphone gives them vital location data on users and its worth a lot. I guess having that data is worth more to them than keeping google maps entirely on android only.

Also people use the search function on maps and its all clicks on googles searches.

ekcmusic

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
The problem comes down to this. Apple is at 'war' with Google. Call it what you will, but their is no friendship or partnership or alliance that will erase this fact. Look at the numbers. Android is already way ahead in terms of user base. If they 'could', they would put Apple out of business in a heartbeat. And why not? Apple would do likewise, with interest. The purposeful withholding of software by corporations has been going on since the very beginning of personal computing. Anyone remember when Adobe abandoned Photoshop for the Mac? Or how about when Microsoft denied Apple access to Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer? Has there ever been a version of MS Outlook for the Mac? If so, was it not dumbed down on purpose? This business is not just about moving ahead of your competition. It's about closing doors to thwart them, tripping them up, litigating against them and stealing away their users as much as is legally possible. Do you think the Android folks are happy that iTunes is not a native app on their platform? While it sucks to be a victim of this ongoing struggle, the reality is that competition is 'good'. Buying into a computing/mobile platform is sort of like marriage in a way. You owe it to yourself to not think about 'divorce' on your wedding day. There is a bigger picture here. Hoping for the best.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
That is my guess as well and that is why I went out and bought Navigon. But now that Apple Maps has it I no longer really need Navigon. For the very simple (Apple Like) Maps Navigation is great. I will continue to use it unless Google is way better. Have not seen the version on Android.

I like the Apple Maps navigation, too (the maps I've used so far are accurate, so no problems there).

But don't delete Navigon -- it works fully offline, something that Apple Maps and Google Maps don't do. (In Google maps you can download maps, but apparently it doesn't do directions or navigation when offline. That defeats the purpose, partially.)

Renzatic

Suspended
Another instance where consumers just need things ready and cannot accept a change and help to make a technology better. Duh!

When it comes to a regularly used tool that, as of yesterday, worked 4x as well as what we've just received, I can understand why a few people are getting a little uppity.

Basically, you're betting on future convenience for current setbacks. Yeah, it's true Apple Maps will eventually get better, but forcing the change so early, when the app obviously isn't anywhere near complete, isn't the way to go about doing things. What Apple should've done was offer the new app as a beta through the App Store. People would've flocked to it, used it, and improved upon it while still using the Google original as the meantime fallback option. As is, they've kicked a bunch of people in the teeth just so they could say "olol, we've got Apple maps now".

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
You see? It's simples? Apple dropped the You Tube app and Google have released one MILES better.
Apple has ditched Google maps and Google will launch an app MILES better again.

The only bad point is Apple's thing will take up wastes storage space.

votdfak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Well, instead of displaying that flyover "beep", Apple should've released Maps with Beta status. Year from now it would be much better with user feedback.

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
ok i have one rule about this and every other part of iOS. IF THERE IS ALTERNATIVE TO A PROBLEM YOU HAVE WITHOUT HAVING TO PAY ANY MONEY, DON'T FU**IN COMPLAIN ABOUT IT! For example, no native youtube app built in, or even maps because there are web apps and other services that work just as well.

I AGREE... there are 700,000 apps on iphone and they cover all needs..

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
google are in the information business. Maps on iphone gives them vital location data on users and its worth a lot. I guess having that data is worth more to them than keeping google maps entirely on android only.

Also people use the search function on maps and its all clicks on googles searches.

Google would make more money from Android handset sales / Play Store purchases / Android users than simple users of it's software on iOS.

Draw a line in the sand. iOS or Android. For the time being, those who need quality navigation and maps would lean towards the best, which certainly isn't Apple at this point (and for the foreseeable future). Google's head start with it's mapping data warehouse is worth a lot of cash.

But oh well.

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
For 90% iOS 6 is a huge improvement on my iPhone 4, the music app's bugs are finally squashed, the OS is faster and the battery lasts about 15 - 20% longer.

But that 10%, the maps app is just HORRIBLE.

Aside from missing content (villages, streets, HR satellite images, company info), it has a lot of bugs and other things that are useless.

Most of the businesses can only be found when typing in the exact name for example.
Horrible annoying is that when zooming in and the next zoom level isn't preloaded you'll see a background texture instead of the lower resolution stuff until the full zoom is loaded.
All those trees they tried to convert to 3D are horrible too.

I'm wondering how many e-mails Scott Forstall is receiving each second about this issue. He is profiled as wanting to be the best, but now he made something that's the worst in it's category.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
If apple don't approve it? Well, it could be bad for them, and lets hope they know that. The best thing they can do is swallow their pride, admit they did an abysmal job of the maps app and approve googlemaps.

No. The best thing they can do is prioritize map development and continue to improve it as fast as they can until it is as good as gmaps.

Blueflame1138

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Apple , Google, Maps : Some thoughts.

Apple have really dropped the ball on this one, I think. They've blown an opportunity to shine. I don't doubt that they will (eventually) pull it off. It's taken Google many years to get to where they are after all.

The problem is that we expect Apple to have had something close(ish) to what Google have done, not something that is orders of magnitude worse.

What Apple have given us is a less than half baked attempt, admittedly there are splashes of class, but it's not ready yet.

There are two main questions I'd like Apple to answer:

1: What is Apple's long term commitment to the Maps app? Buildings get torn down and built, roads are constructed. Our environment is continually changing.
We need to know what Apples strategy is for the future maintenance and updating of the data sets is.

2: Steve Jobs' advice to Tim Cook was "never ask what I would have done". I believe that this is an occasion where we have to ask that question. Would Steve have given the go ahead at this time? Would he have insisted that the product was fit to release? Of course he would.

Apple need to step up and say "We've let our millions of users down on this, but stick with us, we'll get there, we're committed, we won't let you down"

A native Google Maps app MUST be approved by Apple. Then they must knuckle down and get it right. Get us to the state where we can say "Well, I guess I don't really need this Google Maps app anymore."

MobileMe wasn't Apple's finest hour according to Jobs. Tim now has his own "not our finest hour" to deal with.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
ok i have one rule about this and every other part of iOS. IF THERE IS ALTERNATIVE TO A PROBLEM YOU HAVE WITHOUT HAVING TO PAY ANY MONEY, DON'T FU**IN COMPLAIN ABOUT IT! For example, no native youtube app built in, or even maps because there are web apps and other services that work just as well.

Ehh, this is the native mapping solution that all other apps leverage - it's not just about being a single app that doesn't work well, it extends all over the place.

natural1

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
Give Me Back My Google Maps!

Apple's map app sucks big time. I want Google Maps back, but I'll stick with MapQuest for now - free, accurate turn-by-turn voice navigation.

Directions from Boulder to Denver airport landed me in a field 20 miles from my intended destination.

What a joke.

Apple needs stick with what they do best - ripping off customers with half-baked software upgrades and dead-end hardware releases.

:mad:

Last edited:

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Apple not approving a standalone Google Maps app, or any app that could possibly take away from Apple's native apps, infuriates me. If you're proud of your own apps you shouldn't have any problem with other companies creating their own.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
When it comes to a regularly used tool that, as of yesterday, worked 4x as well as what we've just received, I can understand why a few people are getting a little uppity.

Basically, you're betting on future convenience for current setbacks. Yeah, it's true Apple Maps will eventually get better, but forcing the change so early, when the app obviously isn't anywhere near complete, isn't the way to go about doing things. What Apple should've done was offer the new app as a beta through the App Store. People would've flocked to it, used it, and improved upon it while still using the Google original as the meantime fallback option. As is, they've kicked a bunch of people in the teeth just so they could say "olol, we've got Apple maps now".

Do you even how the map data is collected? Do you even know what it takes to gather crowd source information? Do you understand how this thing really works?

Let me know be more condescending please.

There's a reason why Apple released and there's a reason why every AI professor will tell you this was the right thing to do. Locations in the world change every minute. Apple cannot wait to restructure its efforts cause in this scenario, they will never get that information.

Understand it this way — effort and release at t-2 years = release at t years = release at t+2 years. Apple would be in the same situation had they released the product with a future version of iOS say iOS 8. Things would be more or less the same.

There's nothing you can do to force AI. Even Google knows this; they have been through all of this; and they are themselves rapidly improving. There's a lot of data on Google maps that is wrong. Doesn't mean they are **** or I should stop using them. This is a part of technology which people have to adjust to. If they cannot, tough.

airwaytostation

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2010
I don't have any issues with the new apple maps app. I like it much better than google's and it works fine for me in LA and Chicago. I understand it will only get better like everything I've seen throughout the years with apple products.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Apple's map app sucks big time. I want Google Maps back, but I'll stick with MapQuest for now - free, accurate turn-by-turn voice navigation.

Directions from Boulder to Denver airport landed me in a field 20 miles from my intended destination.

What a joke.

Apple need stick with what they do best - ripping off customers with half-baked software upgrades and dead-end hardware releases.

:mad:
Not being a jerk here, but there are MANY signs for a major airport. Did you look up while driving or just put the destination into a cellphone and blindly drive, placing 100% trust in the little voice in the speaker?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.