Google Showing New 'Relevant' Ads in Google Maps iOS App

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 8, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google is now showing ads in the Android and iOS versions of its Google Maps app. Google is calling them "relevant ads" and they will appear at the bottom of the screen following a search.

As The Next Web notes, Google believes the new ads will be "more attractive for users and more effective for advertisers".

[​IMG]
    Google Maps is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Showing New 'Relevant' Ads in Google Maps iOS App

2. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I get that I'm in the minority on this, but I'd rather pay for a maps app or use Apple's "evolving" Maps rather than being force fed ads by Google.

Luckily we have those options.

3. macrumors 6502

Taking a page from Waze playbook. This may put Apple's Maps ahead, with its better map cache and ad free.

4. HMI
    macrumors 6502a

HMI

Unrelated

I already feel like I'm compromising and sacrificing by watching the ads before YouTube videos, and the "skip ad" button is the only reason I keep using YouTube. It's probably the only way to find a middle ground between free ad-supported content and not watching those ads.

5. macrumors regular

Knew it.

6. macrumors regular

I think I'll stick with Apple maps, where I'm the customer and not the product.

7. macrumors 6502

Suddenly became a lot more interested in revisiting Apple's maps app....

Yesterday google's maps app asked me to submit a review... While i was in my car trying to pull up traffic data. Highly agitating.

8. macrumors regular

I hate ads. No wonder Apple removed Google maps from iOS, because Google wanted to bring ads and not allowing any new features to be implemented unless Apple allows their ads.

9. macrumors G5

nagromme

I'm glad Apple's maps have been so nearly flawless in my city, because I'd much rather be the customer that gets courted, rather than being the product that gets sold (to advertisers).

10. macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Really. Who didn't see this coming.

11. macrumors 68040

We knew this was coming.

If only Apple would clean up the garbage in the Yelp POI data...

Apple maps have been flawless around here as long as I have an address. The POI data, not so much.

12. seamer, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013

macrumors 6502

seamer

I get ads on Waze

--
    Derp, misread the original post. Please disregard

13. macrumors 68020

Google Maps now deleted from my iPhone.

14. macrumors 6502

Ok Google Maps....delete yourself...

It's so true, we all secretly knew this was coming. Considering we use maps mostly in CARS, I think Google is showing that they would rather you have a car drive itself while you are force fed ads with your eyelids propped open with toooooth picks while Apple would prefer you drive the car and keep your eyes on the road.

15. macrumors newbie

Google Maps and Ads

Well I love Google Maps as it is used everyday on my phone. I hate ads more and if this is the way Google is headed I'll gladly revisit using Apple Maps. There are just some things I wont tolerate no matter how good the app may be and thats stupid ads. First time i see one, app get deleted.....

16. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

You may be less in the minority than you think. Google gets more obnoxious by the day.

17. macrumors member

I will not be ditching Google's Maps because of ads. In fact, if they are targeted, then they might even be beneficial to me. Use whatever mapping app you want though, of course.

18. macrumors 6502a

Well they couldn't even resist not putting them in their beloved android platform, so I guess they really don't hate us apple users too much!

19. macrumors 68020

Deleted from iPad.

On my nexus 7, I use TomTom.

20. macrumors 68020

Gee, thanks for giving me permission.;)

----------

Of course they don't hate Apple users. In fact, they love Apple users who install Google products on their phones. They can sell those users for a very good price...

21. macrumors 604

Anyone have a recommendation for a good alternative mapping app on android?

22. macrumors 6502a

pirg

Ads in maps? Really?

23. macrumors 6502a

No ads for me :)

24. macrumors 6502

Google's relevant ads stink. I am a bankruptcy attorney. I get lots of ads asking me if I want to file bankruptcy or need help with other debt issues. I also get ads regarding whether I want to go to law school.

25. macrumors 6502a

Same here. I will pay whatever it takes not to see that crap. That is the reason I returned the android phone.

----------

And by "targeted" you mean you are the product that Google is making money off, using your location, and God only knows what other information

----------

Same. Bigger screen would make me happy again