Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chobit

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2003
NY
I think the analogy is a bit silly since one of the most common reactions I've heard to Siri is, "It's like the computer in Star Trek". Also ineffective in that their operating system is named Android, and some of their flagship phones are branded 'Droid', yet Apple is the one compared to droids.

Munkypoo7

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Hanover, MD
I suppose imitation is the greatest form of flattery?

Now fandroids will go crazy calling this the best thing since sliced bread :rolleyes:

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
“I don’t believe that your phone should be an assistant,” he said. “Your phone is a tool for communicating. You shouldn’t be communicating with the phone; you should be communicating with somebody on the other side of the phone.” - Andy Rubin

Looks a bit like Heidegger's classic "zuhanden", "vorhanden" to me... and in that sense, he certainly have a point. The phone itself is also a good example of this. When we're on the phone, were not talking to technology - we are talking through technology. The technology itself is in the background (ideally) invisible to us. That said, i'm not sure that i totally agree with Rubins point. In fact, i'd say that NUI (e.g. Siri) could in fact work towards the goal of making the technology disappear; that we are talking to "it" does not necessarily mean that technology itself is brought to the forefront of our attention. And if not, we have certainly succeeded to "communicate with the other side of the phone".

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
Yeah, about as original as the notification pull down in iOS 5 ;)

Upranking / downranking is for those unable to convey opinions effectively, so I'll take the time to say "well played, sir!"

Let's sit back and watch the fanboys - for with a MBP, iPad 2, SGS2 and the rare ability to make my own decisions, I consider myself unbiased - conveniently forget that the Android OS has had voice integration for a long time now, and that its evolution was always going to happen, regardless of Siri.

The pulldown notifications is an interesting point; I can only imagine the furore should that have been the other way around.

Still strange that people get so worked about phones, though. Perhaps if I'd less to worry about.

terrymr

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2006
Upranking / downranking is for those unable to convey opinions effectively, so I'll take the time to say "well played, sir!"

Let's sit back and watch the fanboys - for with a MBP, iPad 2, SGS2 and the rare ability to make my own decisions, I consider myself unbiased - conveniently forget that the Android OS has had voice integration for a long time now, and that its evolution was always going to happen, regardless of Siri.

The pulldown notifications is an interesting point; I can only imagine the furore should that have been the other way around.

Still strange that people get so worked about phones, though. Perhaps if I'd less to worry about.

iPhone has had voice control for a long time too. Siri is a whole different thing.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Not surpassing. It isn't as if Google have copied anything from iOS before. I guess it's Apple's turn to copy something else in return next time.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I bet Google's version will hugely deal better with split infinitives.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
"everything is voice-aware”

We’ll see how true, how useful, and how soon that really turns out to be from Google!

If “everything” means the keyboard (dictation) then Google had that ages ago and now so does iOS. But that’s only useful in certain rare cases. Siri goes far beyond that. Can Google copy it quickly and effectively (sans the human “attitude”)? Or will be a halfway attempt that only includes Google’s own services—good enough for a bullet point in marketing hype? If it comes out any time soon, I fear the latter.

Trivia note: the word “android” does not mean robot. It means a robot in the form of a human; so C-3PO is properly a droid, while R2-D2 is not. For disembodies assistants, I’d say Siri is more android than the Enterprise. The More You Know!
Capek_play.jpg

The original robots ; )

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I think the analogy is a bit silly since one of the most common reactions I've heard to Siri is, "It's like the computer in Star Trek". Also ineffective in that their operating system is named Android, and some of their flagship phones are branded 'Droid', yet Apple is the one compared to droids.

True. It's also odd that one of Google's biggest carriers (Verizon Wireless) actually pays George Lucas royalties to use the name "Droid" and yet Google is the one mocking Star Wars.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Great for the consumer over all. Apple will be improving Siri to keep ahead of its competitors, likewise, so will Google. Others will be also coming up with their own versions.

Each will try to keep ahead of the pack.

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
Great we can look forward to hearing "This Voice is brought to by...." Followed by Tampon ads.

Yay Google

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
The more I read about Duarte, the more I realize he must have had a very strong support team at Palm/HP, because so much of what he’s done and said after moving to Google has been complete drivel.

There’s a seminal study of voice recognition, I can’t recall the lab or year off the top of my head, but the outcome of the study was basically voice recognition accuracy was considerably higher when the computer “behaved” more like a human. They studied phone conversations and found, absent body language, humans have a series of verbal cues and responses to let the person on the other end of the phone know they are still listening. It’s something Siri does quite well, and I assume will only get better.

Google will have a tough time matching that concept, they simply don’t have the corporate culture that fosters delightful experiences.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
The more I read about Duarte, the more I realize he must have had a very strong support team at Palm/HP, because so much of what he’s done and said after moving to Google has been complete drivel.

There’s a seminal study of voice recognition, I can’t recall the lab or year off the top of my head, but the outcome of the study was basically voice recognition accuracy was considerably higher when the computer “behaved” more like a human. They studied phone conversations and found, absent body language, humans have a series of verbal cues and responses to let the person on the other end of the phone know they are still listening. It’s something Siri does quite well, and I assume will only get better.

Google will have a tough time matching that concept, they simply don’t have the corporate culture that fosters delightful experiences.

I am pretty sure there are more capable people at Google.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I've always been parcial to the HAL 9000 computer from the movie 2001: A Space Odessey.

Star Trek computer? Puh-lease.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I really hope they didn't simply hire a voice actor that sounds like Majel Barrett, as a publicity stunt.

She was a great person, and it's sad that only her computer voice is her biggest legacy .

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
"Everything is voice aware"

This is what SIRI should be. I do not think it will be hard for android since everything is more tightly integrated anyway within the OS. Between Native and 3rd party apps.

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
Huh!!?? What are you talking about!!!???
Nothing beats sliced-bread, specially after it got upgraded with peanut butter and jelly! :D
Speaking of which..

Baby mama was upset I fixed the kids PB one day. I informed her it was Fresh baked Multigrain bread, with organic peanut butter with a hint of sea salt, topped with Italian blackberry preserves with no sugar added...

that's how daddy rolls :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.