Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
It seems like Google is probably rushing into this haphazardly without giving it much thought. Google has a huge problem with the little details when it comes to launching new products. Everything is in a constant state of beta. This could be a huge disaster for them.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
The more I read about google 'heading off' or 'rushing out' products ahead of yet to be confirmed Apple stuff, the more i'm convinced it's a giant troll by Apple to see what they can get others to build on the back of "If Apple are planning it, lets beat 'em to it!"

Hopefully, Apple will let it slip to the mole that they're working on the iFlush toilet, the iWeed auto gardener, and the iMoon personal rocketship, then sit back and laugh whilst the competition devotes resources into beating them to market.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
We're likely to see a new Apple TV soon (to add ac Wifi, at least), so I wonder if we'll see any more. It might even function as a "pipe cleaner" for the A7 chip. I wonder what else we might see.

The support for 3rd party controllers in iOS7 is a funny one. If they intend on bringing out a console / making the AppleTV a gaming console then you'd think they'd want to bring out their own standardised controller (and perhaps offer the option for 3rd party controllers at a later date) rather than let the 3rd parties pave the way.

mnbob1

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2013
Once again, gaming on the Apple TV is something I'd absolutely love to see; Apple already has the app store infrastructure, all that would be required is a hardware update for the Apple TV (which it's really due already) though support for the current generation wouldn't hurt if apps can be loaded via a computer (to overcome the low capacity). A bigger capacity drive so the device can function on its own is the main hardware requirement, though of course a better GPU and a CPU bump wouldn't go amiss.

Things are pretty simple on the software side as well, as the main thing Apple needs to do is provide an API for a controller, and they could easily release a controller app that allows you to use any iOS device as an ad-hoc controller in a leu of a proper physical one (which could be left to third parties to produce). Game Centre covers things like multiplayer and achievements, so there really isn't much else that's needed.

It really is a fantastically small amount of work since the hardware is something that would presumably be upgraded anyway, and the software is mostly just an API away from being gaming ready, though there are other things I'd love to see (e.g - support for running a big version of an app on your Apple TV while running the same app as an interface on your iOS mobile device, with the ability to pick up save games and take them with you). Opening up the Apple TV would also have the side-benefit of eliminating the need for Apple to keep apps for Netflix, YouTube etc. up to date and the services can do that themselves (though I believe some may do-so already, which suggests some kind of dev kit already exists?).

The Apple TV would slot easily into the same kind of budget indie gaming space as the Ouya, except that Apple could potentially provide it with superior hardware to give it an edge. Porting apps also wouldn't be that hard as anything supporting the high-res iPad is already rendering at better than 1080p, so it's really just an issue of adapting controls to support controller style commands.

Controller awareness is something I'm dying to see anyway, as I'd love to have an adapter that can turn an iPhone/iPod Touch into a Vita style handheld, and if you could just sit down in front of an Apple TV to switch to playing on a big screen then it'd be great.

I dunno, analysts keep saying this, and Apple keeps staying silent, but it's an opportunity to add huge value to the Apple TV with a tiny amount of effort; I mean, you could hash out a controller API in about a day at which point you're most of the way there. Add Apple TV to the iTunes store, release a new model with the latest hardware and write up a simple controller app for portable iOS devices and you're done.

My personal opinion on what could be holding up an announcement of a new Apple TV:

1 - They are going to incorporate the new A8 chip into it
2 - They are going to include the new wireless 802.11ac networking protocol (The new iPads and iPhone that include this new protocol haven't been introduced yet either) Airplay using the new protocol resolves some of the latency with wireless 802.11n.
3 - Apple is either designing or working with a third party to create a dedicated gaming controller that uses wireless 802.11ac protocol
4 - Apple is working with some key developers on game development. This could even include key players in the marketplace. They won't announce a new product until they have significant game content.

I have no actual knowledge of Apple development but based on recent rumors and some product announcements (Airport Extreme) plus Apple's previous secretive "leaks" I think we'll see something announced in time for the holidays and maybe along with the new iPhone and iPad announcements.

Just my opinions and conjecture.

SP19

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2013
Unless what they come out with can run Battlefield 4 at 1080p and 60 fps and dance the Kalinka, I ain't buyin it.:rolleyes:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Do the math.

What math? You really think people want Angry Birds and the like on their TV? Casual gaming is big, but it is of no threat to console or PC gaming since it only really works out on handheld and portable devices.

I say this rumour is total rubbish personally.

LFMNX

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
Faster response (WiFi) required for gaming

Wouldn't 802.11 ac WiFi be required end to end for gaming to work? AppleTV is great for playing movies and pictures but the lag time to use it as a monitor to have reasonable response with a mouse is not there yet. Can't imagine how poor the response to games would be.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
What math? You really think people want Angry Birds and the like on their TV? Casual gaming is big, but it is of no threat to console or PC gaming since it only really works out on handheld and portable devices.

The only question mark for me is the control method - Angry Birds on a touchscreen makes sense, how you'd control it holding a controller while watching the TV would be very different.

There's no reason casual games couldn't be very lucrative on TV. Would you buy a Xbox One for 500 euros, with games in the 40-60 euro range. Or buy a 120 euro AppleTV, with games in the 90c - 10 euro range; which - if Universal - can also then be played on phone and iPad.

I think there's a big gap there that Apple can fill.

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
Apple should just buy Nintendo. Or kidnap Miyamoto and force him to make Mario games for iOS. I don't know. I haven't thought this through. I just want Nintendo games on iOS.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Am I the only one who has no desire to game on an Apple TV or Android based console? The last thing I want to do is play a gimped iOS version of a game on my TV when I have a real gaming console and decent gaming PC. I have yet to find an iPhone/iPad game that can hold my attention for more then maybe 5 minutes. They all pretty much suck and are just good for killing time when waiting for a bus/train/plane/doctor/etc.

I just don't really see the market for these "console"s that are just mobile devices in a hard-wired box. Hard-core gamers don't care about them and casual gamers don't sit down in front of a TV to play games (they are fine with Angry Birds on their tablets/phones).

Apple should just buy Nintendo. Or kidnap Miyamoto and force him to make Mario games for iOS. I don't know. I haven't thought this through. I just want Nintendo games on iOS.

That would probably change my mind about iOS gaming. I wish Nintendo would just give up on hardware.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007

There’s been a massive increase in mobile gaming, particularly with free-to-play models and even Nintendo has said it’s going to be using that model.

According to some analysts (personally, I take this with a pinch of salt as it’s coming from analysts), within a couple of years, the gaming industry is going to be worth $83 billion dollars. Over half of that will be from mobile gaming and over half of that (about $30 billion by my crude calculations) from free-to-play revenue.

People said the Wii had no chance as there wasn’t a market for casual games in the living room and we know how that turned out.

etrinh

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Wait I thought the next big thing is samsung's GSIV??? That's what the ads tell me anyway...

/S

Are you saying that Apple is an expert in video games and smart watches? Haven't seen any products from Apple in these areas either.

Everyone- Apple, Google, MS and all the rest are trying to predict the next big thing. Not all bets will come off so they either pick and choose (and pray they have got it right) or use the shotgun approach and dip a finger in everything to be ready when the market is.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
The only question mark for me is the control method - Angry Birds on a touchscreen makes sense, how you'd control it holding a controller while watching the TV would be very different.

There's no reason casual games couldn't be very lucrative on TV. Would you buy a Xbox One for 500 euros, with games in the 40-60 euro range. Or buy a 120 euro AppleTV, with games in the 90c - 10 euro range; which - if Universal - can also then be played on phone and iPad.

I think there's a big gap there that Apple can fill.

You are aware many of these causal games including angry birds are already available for today's consoles?

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
Looking at Infinity Blade, Infinity Blade II and Blades of Fury (starting to see a pattern), that I play on my iPhone, I would say that Apple has the potential to throw some great games on the AppleTV.

Biggest problem will be getting some interesting titles, I bought the xbox and xbox360 just for Halo and afterwords I bought a Playstation 2 to play the older games of SoulCalibur and Tekken.

Even if the price would increase from, $99 to $199 or $299, it would still be a bargen compared to Microsoft and Sony, ifit plays the same quality of games.

BoxBrownie

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
I would definitely buy their console.. getting sick of PlayStation and Xbox and Wii.. I want Apple iPlay or something. :apple:

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Looking at Infinity Blade, Infinity Blade II and Blades of Fury (starting to see a pattern), that I play on my iPhone, I would say that Apple has the potential to throw some great games on the AppleTV.

Biggest problem will be getting some interesting titles, I bought the xbox and xbox360 just for Halo and afterwords I bought a Playstation 2 to play the older games of SoulCalibur and Tekken.

Even if the price would increase from, $99 to $199 or $299, it would still be a bargen compared to Microsoft and Sony, ifit plays the same quality of games.

You need to play better games.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I agree with your entire premise on cable providers protecting their business model, but on point 1) actually cable companies have much better margin on being an ISP/dumb pipe than their cable packages. Search The Verge's interview with Vizio's CTO Matt McRae. But yes none-the-less they do want to offer subscribers the entire package and not simply bandwidth.

Good point, but margins are only one part of the story. Cable is a significant revenue generator and protecting that revenue (and the resulting impact on stock price) is high priority; which will drive their actions.

At any rate, their business model will become increasingly difficult to maintain; especially if Apple figures out how to make it simply work. If I were a cable exec, I'd be in secret talks with Apple to figure out how I can use my bandwidth capacity and deals with content providers to partner with Apple to deliver content via Apple TV.

I'm going to sit back, grab some popcorn and watch the show.

sanook997

macrumors regular
May 29, 2012
Bangkok
Well you can be sure of one thing: Not Google or Samsung or any A list tech company will dare bring out a game device or watch before Apple.

Apple has to lead so the rest can have a benchmark to copy and improve upon, if they go first they will most likely be trumped and they know it......

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Some, certainly. But tens of thousands (as on the App Store)? I don't know.

Nope. But that's like saying the many AAA game titles available on PCs and Consoles aren't available on iOS. Everything has their place. Causal games work on portable devices because they allow the user to play them anywhere where they might have to kill a bit of time. No casual gamer is going to purposely sit down and play a game on their TV, because if they did, they wouldn't be a casual gamer.

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
You need to play better games.

I play the full series of:
- Prince of Persia
- Tomb Raider
- Tekken
- Soul Edge/Calibur
- Mortal Kombat
- Grand Theft Auto
- Halo
- Assassin's Creed
- Need for Speed
- Red Dead Revolver/Redemption
- D.O.A.
- Call of Duty
- Splinter Cell
- Metal Gear Solid

If I like a game series and there's one game of it on a Console that I don't have, I'll buy the Console.

Arias21

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2005
I hope these rumors are all a rouse by Apple and they come out with something from left field. Just to screw with all these companies following their every step.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.