Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, Google announced plans for its upcoming Amazon Echo rival, Google Home, a Wi-Fi enabled personal assistant that enables people to ask Google search queries, manage everyday tasks, enjoy music and entertainment, and more using hands-free "OK Google" voice commands.

Yesterday, a few more details emerged about Google Home, which will potentially go directly up against the smart device Apple is rumored to be working on.

google_home.jpg

According to technology news site The Information, Google Home will share many of the hardware components of the company's popular internet-connected TV streaming device, Chromecast, relying on the same dual-core ARM-based microprocessor, 4GB of RAM, and a dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi chip.

The similarities are apparently so close between the two devices because the same team responsible for the Chromecast headed up development of the Google Home. As a result, it is being described as "dressed-up version" of the company's existing device, with the addition of a microphone, speaker, plastic top with LED lights, and a fabric or metal bottom. 

The Home is also expected to run the same Linux-based OS used on the Chromecast, though Google has discussed powering future versions with its Android mobile platform. 

The upshot of all this is that the device could be extremely inexpensive to produce, given that the Chromecast currently sells at $35. That would mean Google being able to significantly undercut the $179 Amazon Echo. Notably, the Chromecast is also one of Google's most successful hardware products, selling 3 million units in the past three years.

Apple's rumored smart home product is a Siri-based device that would include a speaker and microphone that could be used for features like listening to music, getting news headlines, and more. Apple is also planning to introduce an enhanced version of Siri, which the company will open up to outside developers to integrate with their own apps and services.

Apple has reportedly been working on its rival device since before the Amazon Echo debuted in November 2014. Google Home will be available later this year, but it is not known when Apple will be ready to debut its home accessory or how it will fit into the company's existing product lineup.

But given Apple's tendency to place its hardware products at premium price points, consumers are unlikely to see a device as inexpensive as Google appears to be readying for the home.

Article Link: Google's Echo Rival is a 'Dressed-up' Version of Chromecast

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
In the same way an iPod Touch is a dressed down version of the iPhone. Sometimes you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

I hope it becomes a good product, I like the idea of a home assistant and Siri on the iPhone while good is severely lacking in what it's capable of doing.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
"The upshot of all this is that the device could be extremely inexpensive to produce, given that the Chromecast currently sells at $35."

... because Google's way of profiting from this device is capturing and selling user behavior data.

This is news to me. When did Google start selling user data?

Nothing Wrong with that - fits in with Googles business model - sharing anonymous user data.
Small correction Stella - Google collects user data, aggregates it, and uses it to sell anonymous ad space. Advertisers don't know who is displaying their ads. Google really doesn't share it's data, in fact, they guard it as if their livelihood depended on it. Cuz it does. But you're right, nothing wrong with that.

I like the Chromecast. I have 3. If GH is as reasonably priced as it's siblings, I'll pick one up just to see what it can do. I'm really not into the whole IoT-Home Automation, but I do like new tech.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
We must NEVER underestimate the importance of price with these items.

If Apple brings out something for $200, $300 it's dead in the water.
These devices need to be cheap enough to buy multiple ones.

One for each bedroom, can ask the time or play some music from bed, one in the kitchen, in the lounge, perhaps in the workshop.

Make them cheap, and it will win any war.

So expensive you just have one of them it's no good.
[doublepost=1464783065][/doublepost]
Looks like an air freshener.

Looking like an Air Freshener (Google) is better than looking like a Trash Can (Apple) ;)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I think it's silly to call this a dressed up chromecast. Just because it shares some components?

"The upshot of all this is that the device could be extremely inexpensive to produce, given that the Chromecast currently sells at $35."
... because Google's way of profiting from this device is capturing and selling user behavior data.
As others have pointed out - Google doesn't sell data. This misguided rhetoric really needs to end. Posters like you are either ignorant of how Google works or are being deliberate in spewing FUD.

AirunJae

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Curious to see Apple's version, whether it be incorporated into an AppleTV or as a stand alone device. As several have already pointed out, a $35 Chromecast has 4 GB of ram? Yeesh! I hope there's some big difference between the kind it has and the kind that iPhone/iPads have.

Ferry74

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2014
The Home is also expected to run the same Linux-based OS used on the Chromecast, though Google has discussed powering future versions with its Android mobile platform.

Imagine Apple using Linux in the Apple TV...
I mean, what does that say about Android?

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
It is not clear that Chromecast version 1 or 2 has 4 GB of ram.

The specs I found are for storage 2GB for first gen and 256mb for second gen.

RAM 512MB for both gens.

It may be that the article above is alluding to the future Google Home device having 4GB.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

usamaah

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Chicago
Why does Chromecast need 4GB RAM?

Right now it doesn't, I think the earlier poster meant Google Home though I don't know if that spec was made available.

As for the traditional Chromecast, if it's very good at streaming if shouldn't, but for cache purposes you can imagine having more RAM would be good. Especially if it begins streaming 4K or 8K, or VR, in the future (obviously the connector may need to change). EDIT: I mean a future hardware version of Chromecast

EDIT: Right now Chromecast 2015 does indeed have 4GB of RAM, but it's unclear if it NEEDS that much RAM. More than likely it was only marginally more to upgrade the new Chromecast to 4GB of RAM because that's what is in volume production rather than sticking with 2GB RAM. It also allows the device to cache more data.

Last edited:

slprescott

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
As others have pointed out - Google doesn't sell data. This misguided rhetoric really needs to end.

Point taken.

My original post was a poorly worded simplification of what 69Mustang later described more accurately:
> "Google collects user data, aggregates it, and uses it to sell anonymous ad space."

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
We must NEVER underestimate the importance of price with these items.

If Apple brings out something for $200, $300 it's dead in the water.
These devices need to be cheap enough to buy multiple ones.

One for each bedroom, can ask the time or play some music from bed, one in the kitchen, in the lounge, perhaps in the workshop.

Make them cheap, and it will win any war.

So expensive you just have one of them it's no good.
[doublepost=1464783065][/doublepost]

Looking like an Air Freshener (Google) is better than looking like a Trash Can (Apple) ;)
I am on the opposite side from you, make it premium and worthed every penny... 200 - 300 is not a bad price!!!
Oh and I prefere the trash can thank you ;)

Reactions: MrUNIMOG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.