Google's Two-Factor Authentication App Pulled From App Store After Broken Update

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 5, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Google has pulled its Google Authenticator app from the App Store following an update that removes all stored accounts when installed.

The app is used with Google's two-factor authentication service to make logging in to Google accounts more secure.

TechCrunch reports that users who don't have a trusted computer will need to reset their all stored tokens on Google that allow other services like Dropbox or Evernote to connect to users' Google accounts.
    The update points to a larger potential problem with iOS 7, where app updates will download automatically onto iOS devices. MacRumors has heard from several iOS 7 beta testers who lost their account info on Google Authenticator because the update was downloaded automatically when it was released.

iOS 7 users do have the option to revert to the manual update scheme used in prior versions of iOS.

There is no word from Google on when the app will be updated and returned to the App Store. The update also includes a new design with a flat icon to match Apple's iOS 7 look-and-feel.

Google Authenticator is normally available free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google's Two-Factor Authentication App Pulled From App Store After Broken Update

2. macrumors 601

HiRez

We've removed all your accounts to make your iPhone more open. You're welcome.

3. macrumors 6502

This isn't an OS problem. It's a problem with developers not properly testing apps before they are distributed.

4. macrumors regular

Slightly annoyed that as well as wiping all my accounts it also no longer shows with number it is generating is for which account!

5. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

This will be one of the things I'll be doing when iOS 7 comes to my devices.

6. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

iOS 7 autoupdated the app for me. Whoops.

All I had to do was to go into Gmail and tell it to change to a different device for 2-factor and just reselected the device.

7. macrumors 68000

The text of this article is inaccurate. The Authenticator app has nothing to do with allowing "other services like Dropbox or Evernote to connect to users' Google accounts", and it does not "store tokens on Google". It just needs to be re-synced with with any accounts that you use it for (e.g. Dropbox, Google etc.).

8. macrumors 65816

Does it erase the data upon install or after you open it? I've updated but haven't opened it yet.

9. macrumors 68030

More reason to use Authy or Duo Mobile.

My wish is for 1Password to add TOTP generator, freeing me from entering pesky TOTP code altogether.

10. macrumors 68030

baryon

Software updates: Ruining everything, every time, for everyone since 2001.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

11. macrumors 6502

Not a problem for iOS7 users cause previous version of Authenticator already blew away all the entries :mad:

12. Contributing Editor

jlgolson

Depending on how you have to resync the phone, you may have all services previously connected to Google disconnected.

13. macrumors regular

Use Authy...MUCH better :)

14. macrumors 68000

Again, it has nothing to do with services being "connected to Google". The app is an offline one-time-password generator (the codes are generated according to IETF standards). You don't even need a Google account to use it.

15. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Except for all the bugs and security issues that are fixed by updates...

Google should be reconsidering their delivery process here for this screwup.

16. macrumors 65816

Not for me, it just wouldn't show which entry belonged to which number. Luckily I only have 3.

17. macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'd just like it if all auto-updates kept the old app in my phone's memory for 48 hours. Anytime within that limit I can select a "revert to last version" option in the settings.

I feel like these kind of problems usually get fixed in a day or 2 by the developer. Having that option would make me feel safe enough to use the auto-update feature.

18. macrumors member

Single, biggest reason I will not be enabling iOS 7 auto updates.

I really do wish 1Password would incorporate this though.

19. macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Big freakin' deal. :rolleyes:

All you, people, had to do was re-scan the barcode found in your account settings and you'd be good to go.

People love to dramatize, I tell ya.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

20. macrumors 68040

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.

21. macrumors regular

Whoa, really? I've had plenty of times I've held off updating an app for one reason or another. This sucks.

----------

Sure. For your GOOGLE account yes. But you're aware Authenticator works for other accounts too, right? And that resetting their tokens as well can be an annoying, time-consuming task?

22. macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

Yes, but if you don't have a trusted computer, you'll need the code from the (now broken) authenticator app, meaning that you can't get into your account to re-scan the barcode! Of course if you also have a phone number listed on your account (in addition to authenticator), then Google can text or call you with your code.

23. macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Or Apple's app review team approved something they shouldn't have.

24. macrumors 68000

Google also gives you a set of backup codes that you should store somewhere safe in case you lose your ability to get new one-time passwords. Same for Dropbox and some other services.

25. macrumors 6502

So either of those can just straight up replace Google Authenticator and getting the Facebook code through the Facebook app? If anything, it'd be worth having your sites set up in both apps for occasions like the one in this article.