Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Hey all,

I was going back and forth between a BTO 20" iMac and just getting the stock one from the Apple Store and then adding RAM later. I've read here and other places that Apple retail stores charge much more for adding RAM. Well, I went to one of my local stores and asked if the RAM upgrade cost more than online. The rep said it would be the same price so I went for it.

They took 45min to install the RAM. When I came back to pickup my reciept listed:

AppleRAM 2GB(2x1GB) 667MHA DDR2 $600

$ Off Customer Service ($225)

AppleRAM 1GB (2x512MB) ($200)

Pretty cool! Is this Apple's new policy? Why are other people being told it will cost $600 to upgrade the RAM?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
$175 is the standard Apple price to upgrade 2x512MB to 2x1GB on a BTO model. :confused:

I don't know why the 2x1GB cost $600 alone online.

bossass

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
sigamy said:
Hey all,

I was going back and forth between a BTO 20" iMac and just getting the stock one from the Apple Store and then adding RAM later. I've read here and other places that Apple retail stores charge much more for adding RAM. Well, I went to one of my local stores and asked if the RAM upgrade cost more than online. The rep said it would be the same price so I went for it.

They took 45min to install the RAM. When I came back to pickup my reciept listed:

AppleRAM 2GB(2x1GB) 667MHA DDR2 $600

$ Off Customer Service ($225)

AppleRAM 1GB (2x512MB) ($200)

Pretty cool! Is this Apple's new policy? Why are other people being told it will cost $600 to upgrade the RAM?

It's not policy, but some will do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.