Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I kind of wish they kept a size similar to the 4S.

4" is still a bit too big for me, I like to be able to completely interact with the phone with one hand. It's a bit difficult to touch the full length of the screen with 1 hand, and I have pretty long fingers.
Long compared to a 5 year old girl or a normal human? I'm 74.5" and can rest the bottom of the 5s on my #5 digit (little finger for the un-informed) and still stretch my thumb to all 4 corners. I can do the same with an s4 and the first note..... with some slight manipulation with it in my hand.

Not sure how a larger phone is going to keep you from using it with one hand (or really why it's that important that you only use it with one hand.... unless of course you only have one hand).

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Long compared to a 5 year old girl or a normal human? I'm 74.5" and can rest the bottom of the 5s on my #5 digit (little finger for the un-informed) and still stretch my thumb to all 4 corners. I can do the same with an s4 and the first note..... with some slight manipulation with it in my hand.
At 6'2.5", I believe you're likely taller than the average American male. :p

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Compared to what I'm used to (HTC one)....I do like it though, just a mini ipad4, but for me the screen's a killer even my reading glasses....does anyone find this

What is sad is there is plenty of screen real estate but Apple chooses form over function. After my 5s contract is done with the provider, I'll be looking elsewhere for a readable screen. Similar can be said for the iPad Mini - soooo much screen and yet very frustrating for people with less than perfect vision.

The iPhone menus are not that adjustable and as such, when going into items like Music, we get this moronic faded hard to read crap at the bottom with an almost as bad icon.

Maybe Apple is planning to put on the market - iGlasses so we can read that ridiculously small text found on their devices. SIGH

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
yea definitely bigger text. The problem is the key boards on android suck

What nonsense, swype is a well liked keyboard.

----------

What is sad is there is plenty of screen real estate but Apple chooses form over function. After my 5s contract is done with the provider, I'll be looking elsewhere for a readable screen. Similar can be said for the iPad Mini - soooo much screen and yet very frustrating for people with less than perfect vision.

The iPhone menus are not that adjustable and as such, when going into items like Music, we get this moronic faded hard to read crap at the bottom with an almost as bad icon.

Maybe Apple is planning to put on the market - iGlasses so we can read that ridiculously small text found on their devices. SIGH

I don't find what you are saying. If apple increases the size of the phone within the form factor, I'd be happy, but the form factor of the 5s is perfect for most of the daily grind. For ghe rest, I have an iPad.

joshdammit

Suspended
Mar 6, 2013
Not the same as Android word wrap in browsers.

This. Safari on iOS (at least for iPhone) needs that word wrap feature. Coolest thing I've ever seen on Android (that is practical to use.) Currently my choices are limited to zooming in and scrolling left and right, or switching to landscape and squinting my eyes.

I'm also wondering why Chrome doesn't have this. I would switch browsers in a heartbeat.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Depends on how good your eyes are. I can jump back and forth between the iPhone 5S/nexus 5/Galaxy Note 2 when I had all 3 of them at the same time.

Literally takes my eyes about a day to adjust.

And I own all the iPads as well.

My eyes adjust quickly.

Will have to agree if you have older eyes (or weaker eyes) than you may have more difficulty adjusting.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
I have a theory that android fans cry harder and longer than everyone else and thus we now have a larger display for the iphone 6.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Compared to what I'm used to (HTC one)....I do like it though, just a mini ipad4, but for me the screen's a killer even my reading glasses....does anyone find this
I know, it's not like it's a phone or anything. The thing should be HUGE! I like holding a loaf of bread next to my head when I talk. Carrying the HTC around in your front pocket is like Human UpArmor.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014
What nonsense, swype is a well liked keyboard.

----------

I don't find what you are saying. If apple increases the size of the phone within the form factor, I'd be happy, but the form factor of the 5s is perfect for most of the daily grind. For ghe rest, I have an iPad.

Well I don't like swype

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Um, whatever?
Assertion..wtf? Are we in debate class or something, I feel like I'm missing something.

This is, in theory, a reasoned discussion...or a debate, if you wish. What you are missing is assuring that your statements are relevant to the discussion, otherwise you are offering a non sequitur.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014
This is, in theory, a reasoned discussion...or a debate, if you wish. What you are missing is assuring that your statements are relevant to the discussion, otherwise you are offering a non sequitur.

You people need a life. Seriously.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014
What you say may be so, but here you are with us sheep:cool:, discussing various things apple and telling us sheep we are "narrow minded" and "need a life". Seriously? You are one of the herd at this point.

Nah I just am not here to debate and use terms like assertion and blabla. I just came her to talk like a normal person.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012

Not sure how a larger phone is going to keep you from using it with one hand (or really why it's that important that you only use it with one hand.... unless of course you only have one hand).

I am 69.5" and my friend is over 6'1" and I have longer fingers than him. Touching the top of the screen with my thumb is a strain.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
My preference is to be able to use my phone via one hand.

When and if the time comes that I cannot reach the far corners of screen by one hand is the time I consider my choices when upgrading.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I am 69.5" and my friend is over 6'1" and I have longer fingers than him. Touching the top of the screen with my thumb is a strain.

I have to rearrange my grip to touch the top when using the i5, so technique is required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.