Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
aquajet said:
True. I doubt any person at that stage of addiction could possibly hold a legitimate job. Or maybe he was independently wealthy.
Actually, one psych textbook I had stated something like around 70% drug addicts do hold legitmate jobs-- how else do they support their habit?

An alarming number of surgeons and doctors use drugs as well... while they're on the job! :eek:

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
What is it with doctors and other academics? When faced with the problem of thinking up a false name to protect the identity of a a guy who's taken 40,000 ecstasy tablet the best they can do is 'Mr A':eek: Mr E, Mr E it's so obvious the answers in the question. You just know it was that kind of mind that thought up 'Superman' "Hmm let's see you're a man and you do suer stuff...............er, Superman?"

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
if you're buying ecstacy in bulk (over 1000 tabs at a time) it can get as low as $1 US each. the actual cost of production, not including secrecy, time, and legal fees ( :p ) is really more like a couple cents a pill, the precursor chemicals necessary are really cheap.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
VA
devilot said:
Actually, one psych textbook I had stated something like around 70% drug addicts do hold legitmate jobs-- how else do they support their habit?

I'm sure. But we're not talking about a textbook example drug addict, are we? :eek:

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
eva01 said:
depending if he got a bulk discount or not lets just go on the general for what i know of a price per pill

25-35 is the norm for what i see. multiply that by 40,000

1,000,000 for 25 a piece and 1,400,000 at 35 a piece

Hell lets say he got a great discount and they were 10 dollars a piece that is still 400,000 dollars. That is a ridiculous amount of money and only a fellow drug dealer could have that much money i believe. Unless he was making them himself

and per day he was spending 625-875 on the 25-35 average.

Where do you live? street price in my neck of the woods is 10 bucks a pill...
Not that i would know or anything :eek:

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
zach said:
if you're buying ecstacy in bulk (over 1000 tabs at a time) it can get as low as $1 US each. the actual cost of production, not including secrecy, time, and legal fees ( :p ) is really more like a couple cents a pill, the precursor chemicals necessary are really cheap.

Yes but pure MDMA is not that cheap...

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
devilot said:

An alarming number of surgeons and doctors use drugs as well... while they're on the job! :eek:
Oh yeah. I've partied with one too many a Doc, some on their way in to work :eek: ! Frightening.

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
jadekitty24 said:
Oh yeah. I've partied with one too many a Doc, some on their way in to work :eek: ! Frightening.

When i was living in Ohio there was a neuro surgeon from cleveland clinic that was arrested a few blocks from the hospital (in his scrubs in between surgeries) buying crack. :eek: NO JOKE!

Sure doc... go ahead and stick that ice pick into my frontal lobe...

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Electro Funk said:
Where do you live? street price in my neck of the woods is 10 bucks a pill...
Not that i would know or anything :eek:

Of course you wouldn't. ;)

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
While alcoholism and drug use are relatively common in the medical profession, to assume that we're all drug addled freaks is a bit tough - some of us go days without securing a fix. They always used to tell us that you'd be better off being treated by a heroin or crack addict than an alcoholic because the alcoholic's hands start shaking and then your done for if he's chopping up your frontal lobe at the time.

Glad to see this guy checked into merry, merry George's (aka Tooting School of Medicine), shame they didn't have him around until june, pity the poor student who would have met him in finals and had to take a lifetime's substance abuse history in 5 minutes!

krimson

macrumors 65816
Wow, 40,000, that's amazing.. i'll admit ive probably taken close to 700-800

probably spent maybe $500 total, we picked up boats (that's a 1000 bag slang used here) for about $4,000 and turned it around $8 each for friends, $20 inside clubs. It easily paid for itself.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
thing is, ecstacy (MDMA) is a totally different drug at those doses. i can't (rather won't) go into specifics but this is not a dose a person can function even semi-normally at. i wonder what he was trying to accomplish there.
it can be bought in "bulk" for a few dollars a pill pretty easily, it's not the cost that is so prohibitive, it's the effects when taking that much. wow.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
During a stint in a mates band 6 pills would cost £20. Just before I left (they were all junkies, i never touched the stuff :) ) they were getting them for 50p each. None of them died either. infact, the lead guitarist is off recording an album with Paul Weller. And they played at Glastonbury.

*grumbles*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.