Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arcite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I just noticed there feels like 'something' stuck under my L key. It still works, but is only depressing half way, like there is a tiny crumb underneath. I don't want to risk removing the key, is compressed air the way to go?

za9ra22

Suspended
Sep 25, 2003
Removing the key would not be wise, and I'm not sure that I'd want to use compressed air on it either at this stage. Is it not possible to get the machine back to Apple or your supplier to look at it and deal with it appropriately?

If you absolutely must have a go yourself, the guide at https://www.macrumors.com/guide/butterfly-keyboard-vs-scissor-keyboard/ is a good place to start, understanding how these scissor-switch keys work.

arcite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I was not wise.

It was driving me nuts all day. Found this youtube video that detailed removing the keys

Took a bit of courage, you have to really BEND the key to get it to pop off and come free. But it worked!

And dammit.... wouldn't you know it, it was a CAT HAIR, stuck underneath right on the sensor. The whole operation took about ten minutes as I was REALLY CAREFUL. Anyway, would not advise unless you have steady fingers and good lighting.

Finally the L works again!

Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 10.40.45 PM.png

Reactions: Burnincoco

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
i was getting flashbacks to when my Air keys broke after a few days of use. the microscopic pieces of plastic that held the cap onto the hinges broke off. i couldn't press down my key and a piece of plastic fell out. Apple said nothing was wrong with it LOL even though the poor caps were hanging onto the single remaining clip with their dear life.

thankfully the newer Air seems to have a better keyboard... but i still feel like it's going to break. that's why I'm buying Applecare this time. I'll force Apple to fix it. I'm not spending almost £2k on a laptop for the keys to break for a third time.

Reactions: Saturn007
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.