Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
... I find the color of the display a bit washed out, in fact it is a bit too bright and contrasty compared to what I am used to, how can I adjust it?

Damned, this thing is fast, I am feeling like an idiot for holding out for a Merom MBP, come Merom I may not even sell this MB after all... :p

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
generik said:
... I find the color of the display a bit washed out, in fact it is a bit too bright and contrasty compared to what I am used to, how can I adjust it?

You're not the only one, I find that the default setting of the displays on Apple Portables in general to be washed out and too bright

Go to System Prefs and then to Display

Then click on the Color Tab and press the button "Calibrate"

An Assistant will now pop up and you can go through and adjust the settings

JPT

macrumors regular
May 4, 2006
generik said:

Damned, this thing is fast, I am feeling like an idiot for holding out for a Merom MBP, come Merom I may not even sell this MB after all... :p

I believe it is one of the "F" keys... Not quite sure though...

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I highly recommend SuperCal to calibrate your screen, I found it a lot easier than using the OS X Calibration tool, and I think the results are better.

I don't know how these displays are calibrated in-factory, because my MBP default colour calibration was absolutely horrendous compared with a manual calibration through SuperCal.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
How does Supercal work? Are the calibration settings burnt somewhere into the firmware or would they be lost when I reinstall OSX?

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
It's just a little file located in your Library, which you can select by opening System Preferences > Displays > Color. There'll be a list of pre-set calibrations including Color LCD, sRGB etc.

SuperCal allows you to create a new calibration which more closely matches the characteristics of your display. Once you're finished, you can go into System Preferences and compare your calibration to the preset ones.

You will lose the SuperCal calibration if you reinstall Mac OS X, but if you back it up, you'll be able to restore it easily.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
generik, what pb did you used to own???

i've been using my 1.67 17" for almost a year now and i am ready to upgrade to a mbp merom when they are released. what was the speed difference like? huge difference?

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
generik said:

It only really hit me the other day, but I agree - my MB looks a little washed out. I couldn't calibrate it using system pref though, it just wouldn't work. I'll give supercal a go though, it looks great.

fatties

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
do a search on these forums i think... because someone has been very kind and gave precalibrated settings which i think is pretty good (because i can't calibrate it so everything is not yellow... evn now i think its a little pink...

or google it if you can't find it... there are zillions to choose from, no need to do it yourself! (unless you are really picky)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.