Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
It all depends on how you value your time. If you and your co-worker are McDonald's employees, maybe $100 is a nice score for you. For those who are calculating the per-hour charge, and figuring it to be less than minimum wage, keep in mind that he's just waiting in a line. It's not like he's taking part in any significant amount of labor.

Personally, I would never want to wait in a line overnight. Maybe if I was younger and was doing this with some friends, but to be waiting in a line overnight on my own? That sounds horrible.

I assume you're taking into consideration how you'll handle needing to go to the bathroom, accounting for poor weather, etc.?

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Ok, context. I'd wait in a queue all night if I was guaranteed a private half hour with Jessica Alba. I would not wait in line for an iPhone that is not guaranteed.

Nikomanz

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Washington, D.C.
So my co worker last night at work offered me 100 bucks to wait in line at the apple store here in SoCal.

He wanted me to be there at 8pm (hour before apple store closes), and he'll come at 750am to take my place in line.

I was originally gonna wait anyways, but reconsidered since I already have a 6 on order (which I probably won't open till I get my hands on the plus).

Anyways,
What you think? Good deal? Should I ask for 200?

Unless you got the phone you really wanted you can cancel your order, ask him for like $150 and wait in line and just get two phones. One for you that you really liked, one for your coworker, and you get like $150

But if you already have the phone you want on release date then ask for more money.

Souskei

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2013
Now that I think about, maybe I'll need a friend to wait in line with me so I can use the bathroom. But then if a friend is with me because he doing me the favor, then ill have to offer some kind of compensation for him as well, cutting into my initial price agreement, and my sandwich.

My best friend is going to wait in line already, but he's going to a different store in south San Diego because he'll be visiting family down there this week. And that's an almost 2 hour drive.

But if I drive to San Diego, that will cost money. So I'll probably just end up netting far less than what it's actually worth to wait in line.

I'm feeling like this is a bad idea all together..

But then again.

I should just wait in line, eat his sandwich, hope he's a few minutes late, buy myself a 6 plus, and tell him they ran out and keep some of his money for being there and tell him they ran out!

Actually, I don't want to do it anymore. This is a bad idea.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Why don't you pay your friend $100 to wait in line for you? Get there a few minutes before your co-worker does to switch places, and then collect the $200 from your co-worker.

-Knight-

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Miami, FL
Camp out all night for only $100? Screw that lol. Some co-worker.

I myself wouldn't do it for less then $200 (MAYBE), Plus i'm sure you might get higher offers if you happen to be first line lol.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Do you believe 12 hours of your time is only worth $100? If so, more power to you.

If it were me I'd charge what I get paid per hour at my workplace, which is about $220/hr.

AceMason

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
Do people still pay you for standing in line if you're one of the first few in line but they still don't end up getting the one they want?

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
Bear in mind that Apple store employees actively kick people out who "position swap".

Is this true?? I thought I remember articles about people posting Craigslist ads to wait in line for iPhones before.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
Do you believe 12 hours of your time is only worth $100? If so, more power to you.

If it were me I'd charge what I get paid per hour at my workplace, which is about $220/hr.

tumblr_msjo8dOAJC1s8nkdqo1_250.gif

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Ask him for more if he don't want accept the offer and buy another iphone 6 + 128 and sell it to your friends or in ebay for $1000 or more

megadon

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
So my co worker last night at work offered me 100 bucks to wait in line at the apple store here in SoCal.

He wanted me to be there at 8pm (hour before apple store closes), and he'll come at 750am to take my place in line.

I was originally gonna wait anyways, but reconsidered since I already have a 6 on order (which I probably won't open till I get my hands on the plus).

Anyways,

I'm from Vancouver so we probably have more homeless people. But me an my buddies always get them to wait in line for us.

Just did it at the Lego store at the start of the month and also did it for our phones.

Just don't be stupid and pay them upfront, but out source it to some bum sleeping

est1738

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Last year, a guy was waiting in line for another person. He got there at noon the day before the iPhone 5s was released. The guy he was waiting in line for paid him 500 dollars to wait in line for him if he was 1st in line. I was 2nd in line. I got there at 11 the night before. So he was there almost 12 hours before me. Essentially he made 25 bucks an hour. I would ask for more money.

malochico1

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2012
I have a perfect solution.

Ask for $200.00

Find another friend or a younger cousin, pay them $75-$100 to this for you instead and pocket the rest.

Everyone wins.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I have a perfect solution.

Ask for $200.00

Find another friend or a younger cousin, pay them $75-$100 to this for you instead and pocket the rest.

Everyone wins.

Great suggestion. I can't believe no one thought of that before you did...oh wait....:eek:

Why don't you pay your friend $100 to wait in line for you? Get there a few minutes before your co-worker does to switch places, and then collect the $200 from your co-worker.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida

Anyways,

I got to the Apple Store (Metairie) at 2000 hours for the iPhone 4 launch and was 33rd in line.

darkflounder

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
SF Bay Area, California
I've camped out in front of businesses for concert tickets (it's what we did before the internet, kids), Black Friday sales (at a WalMart, never again) and the iPhone 3G (Valley Fair Mall, San Jose, party atmosphere, met Woz!). I pre-ordered the 6+ so I WOULDN'T have to do it again.

That being said, a comfy chair, cooler of beverages, power outlet and decent wifi, I could do it for $100. Sure, it comes out to less than minimum wage, but to sleep or watch Netflix, it's not that bad.

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Nope.

$100?

If it was a really really really good friend and I had nothing better to do..possibly.

Anyone less then that $200+ for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.