Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Abs

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
Collected my Space Gray 1.3 M7 512GB MacBook on Wednesday from the Munich Apple Store, over the moon with it although I haven't had as much time with it as I would've liked yet due to travelling. Accidentally (on purpose) didn't pick up a sleeve for it yet because €80 is simply insane for one. I'm looking for literally the most basic sleeve, plain (black with an apple logo ideally but seems non existent?), no zippers, no magnets, no leather, no fancy design - just protection from scratches when it's in my backpack. Any recommendations?

Peter Abs

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
NazgulRR - Thank you sir! That is the right sleeve for the right money, gotta love simplicity!

AFEPPL - Sleeve, I'm not a fan of those hard shells to be honest.

MacEver - Thanks! I missed it, still getting used to the forum.

David58117 - That's the one I'd really love, but it's just too pricey.

Kis - Yea I came across them while searching and thought they'd be perfect but they don't seem to cater for the 12" MacBook unfortunately.

Thanks for the replies folks, you're a helpful bunch ;)

Edit: Radtech DO cater for the 12" MacBook! Have a couple of options now :)

Last edited:

Peter Abs

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
Just found this in a shop in Prague for 169 CZK (or ~€6.50) It's for tablets but it's exactly what I'm looking for and the MacBook fits perfectly, so I had to have it! Don't think one can get a sleeve cheaper! :)

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota
The incase ICON is the only one worth owning.

x2
I love this sleeve....a bit spendy but nice and thin and sleek and very protective for a sleeve.

cl60518-mbp15-impct-blck-hero1-web_1.jpg

glindon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
Nothing beats the Incase icon with Tensaerlite sleeve. It's actually protective, and they last. I switched to them on both my 15" and my 12".

Although - they're probably the €80 one you saw (at least they're $80 USD here)..but they're worth it!
Seconded. Picked mine up at a local Apple Store for $79. Got mine in heather grey which looks and feels great. Super thin and the edges are firm and protective. Has a magnetic latch so no zippers.

Reactions: jlsm511

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Nothing beats the Incase icon with Tensaerlite sleeve. It's actually protective, and they last. I switched to them on both my 15" and my 12".

Although - they're probably the €80 one you saw (at least they're $80 USD here)..but they're worth it!

I agree with this, Incase makes a lot of great products customs made for our devices. I liked the icon a lot, the only thing I don't like is that it increases the footprint. And then Incase released another sleeve more formfitting and the same footprint as the MacBook. The Slimsleeve:

https://www.incase.com/shop/cases/slim-sleeve-for-mb-12/heather-black/

Picapau21

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2015
x2
I love this sleeve....a bit spendy but nice and thin and sleek and very protective for a sleeve.

cl60518-mbp15-impct-blck-hero1-web_1.jpg

There is a review on the apple website that the magnet causes problems with the macbook not waking properly.

Have you had any of these issues?

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota
There is a review on the apple website that the magnet causes problems with the macbook not waking properly.

No issues here..........although most of the time I put it in the sleeve I shutdown the machine first.
It boots so fast I normally don't put it in sleep mode.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ

I believe those reviews are based on people that remove the Macbook from the sleeve and place the macbook on the sleeve. When they try to wake the Macbook up, the cover's magnet is placed in the same area the lid magnet is located which tricks the Macbook as if the lid were closed. The move the Macbook off the sleeve and it works fine.

Picapau21

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2015
I wanted a rigid case to protect a bit against knocks and bending.

Thule do a case called the gauntlet. For the life of me I couldn't find the MB specific model and so bought the 11inch MBA version which just about fits. The top left and right corners are lightly exposed.

http://www.amazon.com/Thule-Gauntle...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Although it seems good anybody know of any other rigid cases out there? I would prefer them to the soft ones.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Just found this in a shop in Prague for 169 CZK (or ~€6.50) It's for tablets but it's exactly what I'm looking for and the MacBook fits perfectly, so I had to have it! Don't think one can get a sleeve cheaper!

Too late for you, but to others passing through this thread- you don't get a 'cheaper' sleeve. Saving $15 on a sleeve will cost you in the long run if you drop or bang your notebook. Get the Incase Icon. It's what's best for the RMB.

BJ

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota
Too late for you, but to others passing through this thread- you don't get a 'cheaper' sleeve. Saving $15 on a sleeve will cost you in the long run if you drop or bang your notebook. Get the Incase Icon. It's what's best for the RMB.

BJ

Absolutely...
$50 on a $1500 purchase is cheap insurance IMHO....

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Get the Incase Icon. It's what's best for the RMB.

I'm probably going to bit the bullet and pull the trigger on this. Any thoughts on the narrow edge entry in contrast to the long-edge entry on other versions such as the 11MBA version? For my purposes I'd actually prefer the latter, but that just might not be in the cards.

davys

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Lanark
I wanted a rigid case to protect a bit against knocks and bending.

Thule do a case called the gauntlet. For the life of me I couldn't find the MB specific model and so bought the 11inch MBA version which just about fits. The top left and right corners are lightly exposed.

http://www.amazon.com/Thule-Gauntle...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Although it seems good anybody know of any other rigid cases out there? I would prefer them to the soft ones.

I can thoroughly recommend the Booq Viper 12 if you're looking for a harder case. Very happy with mine, although beware that the slots for accessories are pretty useless unless the accessories are quite thin. If a harder case is your main concern, it fits the bill perfectly. MacBook will be nice and snug and well protected.

Picapau21

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2015
I can thoroughly recommend the Booq Viper 12 if you're looking for a harder case. Very happy with mine, although beware that the slots for accessories are pretty useless unless the accessories are quite thin. If a harder case is your main concern, it fits the bill perfectly. MacBook will be nice and snug and well protected.

Thanks for the recommendation. The viper looks like a useful case but probably a bit too big for me. The MB will travel in my laptop bag. Basically looking for a sleeve.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013

This complaint is so stupid..

There's a magnet in the sleeve, that's maybe about 1/4 an inch.

Once you take your computer out and rest it on the sleeve (which I do, since it protects the bottom) - if the magnet touches a small area on the computer, the screen turns off.

All you do is move it 1/4th an inch, and it comes back on.

davys

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Lanark
Thanks for the recommendation. The viper looks like a useful case but probably a bit too big for me. The MB will travel in my laptop bag. Basically looking for a sleeve.
It's actually the same size as a sleeve (Incase) and not much deeper at the sides. It probably looks bigger on the website than it actually is!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.