Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
Hey everyone, I just thought I'd share my "switch" experience :)

So yesterday I went to the Apple store in Indianapolis and picked up my firt Mac - a 17" iMac w/Superdrive. I had spoken to someone at the store previously and they told me the would be able to update the memory in-store when I bought it, and with the store being 20 min. away I opted to do that rather than ordering. When I got there I saw that they had a preconfigured 17" that you could purchase that came with 512mb RAM, bluetooth, and wireless keyboard/mouse for I believe $1673. I wasn't really planning on getting the bluetooth, but when ahead and got it because I figured if I ended up needing it later and didn't have it I'd be disappointed. Plus wired keyboards are only $29 now, and I wanted one as a backup 'just in case'.

So I went ahead and got that, while they were getting it in back the saleswoman asked if I was a student, I just graduated a few months ago and I told her that. She asked if I had my student ID on me, of course I did. And she replied "I think we're going to save you some money today". That pretty much made my day.

With discounts I ended up getting the actual computer for $1555, the keyboard was $24, and I purchased and ipod dock which cost $35. I left that store very happy with my purchase, the sales people were great, and I was happy about the student discount.

So here I am, on my new mac, everything was switched over with ease using my ipod as a disk drive.

:)

allison.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Is this your first Mac?
If so, welcome to the way all computers should be... :)

Congrats, and also a big welcome to these boards.

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Congrats on your purchase!
If this is your first mac, then you have stumbled into the right place! Any questions you may have, feel free to ask!

and yes, I too love educational discounts :D

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Glad to hear you enjoyed your experience. The staff at the Indy Apple Store are always extra nice and know when to leave you alone b/c you're just having fun and not intending to buy something (b/c I usually order from Apple online instead of buying from their store).
Though I did have to correctly answer a customers question about the iPod and the # of songs it holds after one of their employees failed to do a good job with a customer on black friday (who was about to buy 5 of them for his kids, his wife, and himself....which he ended up doing).

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
Yes, it's the first Mac I've owned, but it's what we used in our college labs as well as what I use at my job now, so I'm quite famililar with them.

I've had no problems at all, except for a minor firefox glitch. When I installed it initally it kept showing up as a drive on the desktop, so I uninstalled it and re-installed it directly to the App folder, that seemed to fix it.

Switching all my songs/pictures/etc. was a piece of cake with the ipod.

I think the only thing left for me to download as far as applications goes is a FTP program and probably Limewire.

When I was at the store yesterday they had a bunch of ipod shuffle's in stock and I was able to check it out. They looked pretty neat, I think I'll stick with my 20gb though :) Unfortunately they didn't have any out of the box that I could really examine.

allison.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Good choice in getting the backup keyboard. Worth having around when you need it. The discount for being a student is usually because you are still associated with your school at least for another semester, incase you come back for some more studies. Like my email account and ability to sign up for classes at PSU just got cancelled a month ago, even though I graduated in May.

No limewire, get Posioned.

For your any other program needs, http://www.versiontracker.com. Just search for what you want the program to do, and you can find something.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
allisonv7 said:
I've had no problems at all, except for a minor firefox glitch. When I installed it initally it kept showing up as a drive on the desktop, so I uninstalled it and re-installed it directly to the App folder, that seemed to fix it.

That's normal for it to show up as a drive--it's called a mounted disk image. Just drag the application inside to your Applications folder or where ever you want, but for most programs it is recommended to keep them inside the Apps folder.

I would recommend downloading either LaunchBar
or
Quicksilver to make your OS X experience that much easier!

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
As a resident of Indiana and a Mac fan, I just have to add how much I love the Keystone (Indy) store. I've had quite a few great experiences in there with the staff.

And as already said, welcome to the Mac side and to MR.

3Memos

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Thanks for coming aboard MacRumors. Now you will be sucked into a vacuous vortex where all your free time will be spent speculating about the next great thing coming out from Cupertino headquarters. Hows that iMac doing?

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
3Memos said:
Thanks for coming aboard MacRumors. Now you will be sucked into a vacuous vortex where all your free time will be spent speculating about the next great thing coming out from Cupertino headquarters. Hows that iMac doing?

Yes, Macs are great, but their downside is they are way too addictive like a drug! It's like drinking alcohol all your life and then discovering ****. Sorry didn't want to corrupt the innocent :)

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
Congrats. I will be doing the same thing you did today, walking into my Apple store and purchasing a brand new iMac although I will be getting a 20". I will be taking that walk into the store and coming out a very happy person within 45 days. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.