Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
today at school i asked some techs to let me see the new G5's they got in (they got two 1.6 g5's)

i didnt get to use them. just see them in person sitting on a desk.. one was running.. and i was very very very impressed.

the fit and finish of these machines is amazing utterly magnificent.
the one wasnt quite as silent as i had hoped.. i could hear the hard drive chatter. a bit. but it was still fairly silent

it sure feels like a protoype.. so finely contructed and solid looking.

and i agree..much better in person. and i didnt find the front as translucent as i thought it would be.

its a absoluely beautiful machine.

cant wait for mine to come in

cant wait till my class gets the 25 g5's its waiting for (ill post pictures one we do)

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
yeah, i'm hoping that Apple Australia starts shipping some G5's to stores here soon. :p i'm dying to go and see one in person. although i didn't even go and see a 17" PowerBook until about a month ago... so who knows? :eek: ;) :)

Jodge407

macrumors member
May 28, 2003
USA Orginally UK
I saw some 1.6ghx G5's in Compusa the other day and while they might be an amazing computer the design absolutely sucks. I hate it and I think it one of the worst designs Apple has come out with from what I can remember. The best designs by far are the G4 iMac, G3 iBook and the G4 Powerbook. I think Sony's new design knocks the socks of Apples G5.

Foucault

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2002
Pasadena, CA
I just touched and felt the new G5. The first thing i noticed was the size and beauty of the thing. It was almost intimidating the way those tiny grills looked at you, like tiny eyes following your every step. I then slowly proceeded to walk my fingers on its smooth surface. And I felt the electricity and the power reverberate through my flesh. I have to admit, I was a little aroused. I closed my eyes and slowly placed my ear in one of the of the airholes, and I listened to its smooth whisper. This is a beautiful result of engineering and design coming together in one beautiful dance of joy. I want one...

colinet

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Australia
Originally posted by cb911
yeah, i'm hoping that Apple Australia starts shipping some G5's to stores here soon.

I saw, touched (got static from), smelt and generally knelt before and adored a 1.8 G5 at the Apple dealer in Coff's Harbour (NSW - Mid North Coast) on Thursday. They said they only ordered it on Monday. They also say the Apple Australia is still claiming twin 2 G5s next week. I've got one on order but I'm not holding my breath.

The inside of the machine is a total work of art - light years ahead of anything else in design.

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
just to remind everyone that these are computers... not significant others.. please remember to try and pay this much attention to that special someone in your life as you do the "God Like" G5

:D

colinet

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Australia
Originally posted by adamfilip
just to remind everyone that these are computers... not significant others.. please remember to try and pay this much attention to that special someone in your life as you do the "God Like" G5

:D

No problem. My Significant Other makes the G5 look like a Sinclair ZX81 (If you're in the U.S. - Atari 400)

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by colinet
No problem. My Significant Other makes the G5 look like a Sinclair ZX81 (If you're in the U.S. - Atari 400)

Dangit! Macrumors hasn't got a thumbs up smiley. ;) (I just googled for an Atari 400 pic... wow that thing is fugly) Foucault really needs to get his priorities in order... :)

colinet

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Australia
Originally posted by Catfish_Man
Dangit! Macrumors hasn't got a thumbs up smiley. ;) (I just googled for an Atari 400 pic... wow that thing is fugly) Foucault really needs to get his priorities in order... :)

Yet there was a time when that was almost state of the art. I remember my first Acorn BBC micro, loading stuff off cassette and 7 completely different colours. Now look at the G5 and see where we've come in 20 years!! My Significant Other (known as a wife) is also a much better model than I had 20 years ago, but I better keep away from that place. . . .:)

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
I finally got to see G5 Power Mac. I thought the design was great. We'll have to see how it will deal with dust bunnies, with all those ventilation holes.

But I was kind of disappointed with the performance. One I saw was 1.8Ghz G5. I went through iMovie and did some rendering and etc to see how it performed. It was fast. Actually, let me rephrase that. It was fastER than current G4's. But not jaw dropping fast which I was hoping for. I didn't get to check out Dual 2Ghz G5 machine, but so far I'm kind of disappointed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.