Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Looks like they're going to keep making different types of smartwatches until something catches on.....

LOL, lots of companies do this. Apple peeps said the same thing regarding the various sizes of smart phones including phablets too. Now who's chasing who?

Hey, in the mean time, at least Samsung is actually selling smart watches and yes, like any industry, they and others will gain insight on what is actually driving this market.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Trouble with them though is the battery life is even worst then a normal smart watch! You'll get like 2 hours talk time or something equally ridiculous unless battery technology changes, look at the size of battery in a phone and compare that too a watch.

I hear you that is true, I dont have much need for a tethered watch though :)

I think ideally I'd want one that can be used both ways

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I will like for a better connection between watch and phone, that way in the house I don't have to move around with the phone also.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
To be honest it isn't the topic it's how you have worded this subject. Can see why people would overreact. Looks like you are bashing samsung for doing this when I know that wasn't your intention.

He knew. He is playing dumb, and wants to look like the innocent guy that had no idea. I have stated this before. If you post something saying something that Samsung is doing is humorous in the alternates sections. It is not going to go well at all. Also knowing jrwizzle is a huge Apple fan does not help matters. I am in no way a Samsung fan, but I could tell what he was trying to do. Nothing but stirring people up was going to happen.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I hear you that is true, I dont have much need for a tethered watch though :)

I think ideally I'd want one that can be used both ways

Ya - I still don't want a Smartwatch with cellular or camera capabilities. I just don't see any way/reason my watch would REPLACE my phone.

I'm looking for a Smartwatch that complements it. I've posted some ideas on that numerous times on these threads - things like two factor auth for payments ("swipe and scan" - swipe my NFC enabled wrist watch at a payment terminal, the. Scan my fingerprint on my iPhone), iTunes match for music, all the health tracking, loss prevention and extra security measures (ie have to have the watch in proximity to the phone or else it'll beep and you and won't work)....

Those are the types of things I'm looking for. I feel Samsung is going too much for the communications part. Something I couldn't care less about in a Smartwatch.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
He knew. He is playing dumb, and wants to look like the innocent guy that had no idea. I have stated this before. If you post something saying something that Samsung is doing is humorous in the alternates sections. It is not going to go well at all. Also knowing jrwizzle is a huge Apple fan does not help matters. I am in no way a Samsung fan, but I could tell what he was trying to do. Nothing but stirring people up was going to happen.

Sadly too much of that is happening lately.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Sadly too much of that is happening lately.

Again. I know I have been a bit argumentative lately, but I feel like no one has an open mind any more. It I has to be black or white. Either you like Samsung or Apple, but heaven forbid you can respect both. Not saying jrwizzle is doing just that, but there was no other way this was going to go. I can respect a lot of what Samsung is doing, and there is a lot I don't like at all. I normally could careless. It just makes me a bit upset when people on here want to trash Apple in a thread to I guess make them feel better about buying a Samsung phone, or trash Samsung because they have justify buying Apple. Get what you like and respect others choice.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Again. I know I have been a bit argumentative lately, but I feel like no one has an open mind any more. It I has to be black or white. Either you like Samsung or Apple, but heaven forbid you can respect both. Not saying jrwizzle is doing just that, but there was no other way this was going to go. I can respect a lot of what Samsung is doing, and there is a lot I don't like at all. I normally could careless. It just makes me a bit upset when people on here want to trash Apple in a thread to I guess make them feel better about buying a Samsung phone, or trash Samsung because they have justify buying Apple. Get what you like and respect others choice.

Agree completely

No doubt I'm more pro Samsung but I respect apple and think they have great devices with a stunning build. The features just aren't for me anymore but they are still great for other people and that's great. I don't see why it's needs to be this or that.

Who's better is all based on a users personal needs at the end of the day

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Ehh that's better than nothing though. It's innovation at the very least. When they come across something useful, they and/or other companies can work on it and make it even more useful.

That's one thing i like about Samsung ... they include a bunch of pointless and unnecessary features in their devices, but it at least gets the ball rolling. Only con is that there isn't an option to turn the excess features off (ie. stop them from consuming memory) ...

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Agree completely

No doubt I'm more pro Samsung but I respect apple and think they have great devices with a stunning build. The features just aren't for me anymore but they are still great for other people and that's great. I don't see why it's needs to be this or that.

Who's better is all based on a users personal needs at the end of the day

Which is what I was trying to say to jrswizzle from the beginning. It seemed he opened with this kind of "Here we go again Samsung" attitude which is kind of crazy. I like Apple a lot too, but I understand Samsung has had a good plan for selling phones, and I can't fault people for liking them. I think they are trying to do the same with smartwatches.

My point has been neither them or Apple will change the game with Smartwatches. I just don't see this as going the same way as smartphones. Smartwatches are a add on to a phone, so thinking either will steal customers from the other is crazy. We know Apple's smartwatch will only work with iOS. We know Samsung's will only work with Samsung phones. Oh are either going to change the game of smartwatches? People are pretty much established with a brand of smartphone. A smartwatch is not going to change that. So yes both can make great smartwatches, but we can expect either to revolutionize the smartwatch industry can we?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Which is what I was trying to say to jrswizzle from the beginning. It seemed he opened with this kind of "Here we go again Samsung" attitude which is kind of crazy. I like Apple a lot too, but I understand Samsung has had a good plan for selling phones, and I can't fault people for liking them. I think they are trying to do the same with smartwatches.

My point has been neither them or Apple will change the game with Smartwatches. I just don't see this as going the same way as smartphones. Smartwatches are a add on to a phone, so thinking either will steal customers from the other is crazy. We know Apple's smartwatch will only work with iOS. We know Samsung's will only work with Samsung phones. Oh are either going to change the game of smartwatches? People are pretty much established with a brand of smartphone. A smartwatch is not going to change that. So yes both can make great smartwatches, but we can expect either to revolutionize the smartwatch industry can we?
Not true....rumor is Samsung is working on a smartwatch that does not need to pair with a phone to work and make calls....

Samsung may launch its standalone smartwatch – which rumors and leaks have suggested will be called the Gear Solo – as early as next month, according to a report published by the Wall Street Journal. According to WSJ, the Gear Solo will not only be able to make calls without needing a connection to a smartphone, but also feature things like GPS, Bluetooth, a heart rate monitor, and a camera. The probability of the watch having GPS might not be that high, however, as a Samsung official had earlier said that the battery technology for smartwatches doesn’t allow for power-hungry features such as GPS, though it’s possible the company has since found a way to get around the issue.

Of course, the fact that the watch is expected to run Tizen should also help battery life, as Samsung’s in-house operating system has been found to be more frugal than Android in power usage (well, almost every other OS seems to sip less power than Android, though that’s a different story.) Samsung is reportedly in talks with major carriers in the U.S., South Korea, and Europe about launching the Gear Solo (again, a tentative name) – the Gear Solo was found to be under testing in India earlier this month, which is a good hint that a market release could happen soon.

A standalone smartwatch isn’t the only thing Samsung is said to be working on. Rumors suggest that a virtual reality headset compatible with Galaxy phones and tablets is also in the works, along with smart glasses that might combine a head-mounted display and a Bluetooth speaker, with a possible announcement in September.

http://www.sammobile.com/2014/05/23/samsung-to-launch-standalone-sim-enabled-smartwatch-as-early-as-june/

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Gotta love Samsung & their "see what sticks" approach

Not true....rumor is Samsung is working on a smartwatch that does not need to pair with a phone to work and make calls....

http://www.sammobile.com/2014/05/23...lone-sim-enabled-smartwatch-as-early-as-june/

Great good for them. I was talking about what is currently out, and what is rumored for Apple. A smartwatch stand alone does not appeal to me at all. I don't know how many people that want another data plan for a watch. Really I am not getting into this with you again. You like Samsung, and I prefer Apple at the moment. No need to start this with you again.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Great good for them. I was talking about what is currently out, and what is rumored for Apple. A smartwatch stand alone does not appeal to me at all. I don't know how many people that want another data plan for a watch. Really I am not getting into this with you again. You like Samsung, and I prefer Apple at the moment. No need to start this with you again.
Not looking to start anything either :) Just giving the latest rumor. But this one seems pretty legit.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Ya - I still don't want a Smartwatch with cellular or camera capabilities. I just don't see any way/reason my watch would REPLACE my phone.

I'm looking for a Smartwatch that complements it. I've posted some ideas on that numerous times on these threads - things like two factor auth for payments ("swipe and scan" - swipe my NFC enabled wrist watch at a payment terminal, the. Scan my fingerprint on my iPhone), iTunes match for music, all the health tracking, loss prevention and extra security measures (ie have to have the watch in proximity to the phone or else it'll beep and you and won't work)....

Those are the types of things I'm looking for. I feel Samsung is going too much for the communications part. Something I couldn't care less about in a Smartwatch.

Yea I'd say I'm complete opposite. I want the watch to be more of a beeper of sorts. So I dont have to keep the phone on me. I more so want notifications than the ability to actually communicate from it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
yeah....hows that going for them so far?

Wish they would innovate more, and work on optimizing iOS7 more.

And that brings me onto the OS of smart watches, the Google one looks really slick and cool and is centered around voice control, Samsung is pushing it's own OS too and I've forgotten what it's called, and I wonder how iOS will migrate to a watch size device.

mattbaar26

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
I'm not saying it in a negative way - but Samsung is unique in taking the above practice to another level....

How many GS4 variants were released last year? Does any other smartphone manufacturer do that?

Again, not making any negative comments about it. Obviously its working for them.

You are too saying it in a negative way because you are calling it a see what sticks approach. That's not their approach, they make phones tailored to different needs

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The smartwatch (as I envision it anyways - as a useful device for me) IS an accessory/paired with a smartphone. Not a standalone device.

For me, I won't buy a smartwatch unless it is capable of being used independent of a smartphone. That said, I'm not looking for it to completely reproduce all of the functions of my smartphone.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
You are too saying it in a negative way because you are calling it a see what sticks approach. That's not their approach, they make phones tailored to different needs

They've taken it to a new level....variant upon variant of the same phone....

You take it negatively, that's not my problem. I wasn't putting any positive or negative spin on it. Just telling it like it is.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
They've taken it to a new level....variant upon variant of the same phone....

You take it negatively, that's not my problem. I wasn't putting any positive or negative spin on it. Just telling it like it is.

Your not telling it how it is, you are expressing your opinion nothing more.

Take the Galaxy S5, they HAVE to make different versions with different GSM radios in because globally different countries have different GSM network, and because of this they HAVE to use different CPU's because not one CPU won't support all GSM radios.

They are not making different versions to see what sticks, the are making different versions in order to sell the product globally.

Now, in regards to the smartwatch all they are doing is developing and evolving the product, they started with the first version, then decided to use their own OS much like the Sony smartwatch does and have launched a higher and lower end version. And now they are merely treading old ground and looking into making one that doesn't need a phone, they have made a watch like this already years ago:

attachment.php

The above image was posted by kdarling in another thread. Just because you have never seen it, does not mean they have not already made it.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
I don't know what invention any of these companies think they are going to create. The smartwatch is already been done, and works. My Pebble does everything I could ask for in a smartwatch. I honestly don't need or want anything else. The design is the only thing these companies need to work on.

I am sorry, but Apple can't recreate the wheel, and nothing they can do is going to be revolutionary. It is just going to have an Apple logo on it, and be call the next great .

If Steve jobs was here , he would have stopped you right here, fired you, and said" let's show these people how a real watch is made" ..

Dude, just because according to you a smart watch cannot be any good doesn't mean it cannot! 2001 saw the iPod, Apple never made a new device! They reinvented the MP3 player! The iPad was a new device, there were a couple of tablets, apple just gave it their own operating system, the iOS, and gave the world thousands of apps! They made it right! .. Now with the watch, I think exactly like you, I don't think it can get any more functionality. BUT, the only company can prove this wrong is Apple.. They always "reinvent" stuff and make it greater..

Edit: I read through all the 3 pages of the argument, so I know what's going on, better late than never..

Last edited:

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
If Steve jobs was here , he would have stopped you right here, fired you, and said" let's show these people how a real watch is made" ..

Dude, just because according to you a smart watch cannot be any good doesn't mean it cannot! 2001 saw the iPod, Apple never made a new device! They reinvented the MP3 player! The iPad was a new device, there were a couple of tablets, apple just gave it their own operating system, the iOS, and gave the world thousands of apps! They made it right! .. Now with the watch, I think exactly like you, I don't think it can get any more functionality. BUT, the only company can prove this wrong is Apple.. They always "reinvent" stuff and make it greater..

Edit: I read through all the 3 pages of the argument, so I know what's going on, better late than never..

I was not saying the smartwatch is not any good, and want be. I am saying there is not much more that I can see a smartwatch being than what we have seen now. Sure they may add iOS to it, but making something that changes everything might be a bit much to ask.

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
I was not saying the smartwatch is not any good, and want be. I am saying there is not much more that I can see a smartwatch being than what we have seen now. Sure they may add iOS to it, but making something that changes everything might be a bit much to ask.

a plethora of health sensors should be enough to change everything. it will make health mainstream which is extremely important. you can expect this only from apple, other companies lack vision and/or know-how in the race to be the first to market and then to the bottom. apple cares more about its brand, so we can expect something radical and new but with a huge price.

after that, rinse and repeat, samsung/android copies, and then we have a horde of android geeks installing custom rooms and overclocking their heart...

but if it doesnt have health sensors, then apple isnt what i thought it is.

keep in mind, im young, i eat fast food and im not obsessive about my health but im hoping for a way to streamline my health monitoring. looking at the past, only apple is capable of such radical change of a very expensive industry.

samsungs see what sticks approach cant do that. they need to focus on a couple of product pipelines that extend further into the future. thats not samsungs MO, they are famous as a nimble copycat in every industry they compete in, so one can conclude that their r&d doesnt extend much into the future - they really dont have their vision... let alone the ego to think they can do something great that isnt a result of market research. apple does.

you heard this before - people would want faster horses...

i dont want someone to listen to me what i want - i want someone to show me what i might want. and thats not samsung.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.