Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN

dwa2011

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
Northwest Atlanta
Wow, thanks for the photos!

I have the Black/Satin Leverage right now, and I have to say it is my favorite case (out of about 11 that I have sitting around). A great fit, nice feel, and I like the retro look of the lever. Button action is also about perfect.

I agree! it was my favorite case for the 4S and they have made awesome improvements with this version. I'll be giving away that case when i get my review up. Ill let everyone on here know when it is.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Starting to show some "shining" on the edges where the matte finish is wearing off. Isn't that noticeable unless the light hits it just right but makes me wonder about future, more noticeable areas.

Still loving it with my trunket back, one of the best looking combos for i5 IMHO.

stewartlittle

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but the reason case manufacturers add large, non-coincidental camera holes is because according to the Apple official guidelines for "keep out" areas, the recommended holes are actually that large.
To add any "styling" to the camera hole, manufacturers/designers often are forced to increase the size.

Take a look at the data.

https://devimages.apple.com.edgekey.net/resources/cases/dimensions/iPhone-5-dimensions.pdf

More often than not, if a case manufacturer wants the opportunity to sell in the apple store, they must abide by the guidelines. Obviously there are exceptions to every rule, but typically companies aim to follow the guidelines as specific as possible.

bighabeeb

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2010
love it

So I had the leverage for my ip4s, and I have to say, the ip5 version is better in every possible way. Its slimmer, the integrated buttons are slick, and overall I couldn't be happier. The ONLY slight ding I have against them is the lack of a silent/non silent rocker button: the button is sunken pretty deeply into the case so it does take a smidge of digging with my fat fingers to flip the switch. Thankfully I leave my phone in silent mode 99% of the time, so that ding is VERY minimal.

I have the black/chrome version (my ip4s one was black/matte) and I love the way it looks. If they start really cranking on some alternate backs, this thing would win hands down against any other case i've used.

bighabeeb

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2010
Does anyone know if this bumper is thin?

Um, there's a bunch of reviews linked above, not to mention I just said it was slimmer than the ip4 version...

Not trying to be a jerk here, but before you ask a question, maybe give a quick look and see if it's already been answered: generally multiple times....

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Just got mine today, and I'm very happy with the fit & finish. And the feel as well - just the right amount of rubbery grip. Ordered from their website last Friday, and they shipped it out immediately.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Just letting people know that the giveaway has started. Good luck everyone who enters! :D

Where? Don't see it on the website.

For anyone with the i5, can you post close-up shots of the interior of the frame so we can see how smooth/non damaging it is?

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Starting to show some "shining" on the edges where the matte finish is wearing off. Isn't that noticeable unless the light hits it just right but makes me wonder about future, more noticeable areas. Still loving it with my trunket back, one of the best looking combos for i5 IMHO.

This is one of my favorite cases BUT the soft touch had come off way more than I posted above. I had it replaced for free but expected more from such an expensive case. PLUS it took FOREVER for me to get my CC back..... I don't plan on using it but it did take forever to get.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Just got mine for the 5 and really like it. Only problem is the matte is starting to peel from the corners. I am waiting on a response from their CS. Also it looks awesome with the Trunket case I just received. I ordered the jet black but got a dark brown. They are going to replace it with a jet black one. I like it (trunket) because it doesn't attract finger prints and the metal accents look great with the matte lever.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
My replacement is now showing a few very small spots of shine on the edges. Guess I should get the white......

Let us know if they will replace it for you.

Been awhile since I looked at this thread I started. I still love this case, but like you have noted the soft touch peels off around the edges after some light use. I was kinda bummed about it, but expected it. This always seems to happen with all cases with this finish. I never thought about contacting them for replacement though as I figured they would just say tough luck, but maybe I will try that to see.

Overall, I still love the fit and style of this case. It really is my favorite in that regard. I did finally get the CC backplate too. Took months. Only put it on once. I like the flat back much better, but could see how it would be useful if you did not want to carry a wallet with you.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I just got my i5 Leverage. I had been one of the earliest users of the Leverage on my 4S, and I loved that case (used it more than any other). The soft touch eventually wore away on the edges, as I expect this one will too, but I found it wore well, and did it gracefully, so you can only notice it's gone upon very close inspection.

The i5 version I'm finding has improved on the original design in every way...obviously the protection on the clasp, the beautiful volume rocker, and even the fit when only using it as a bumper. I love the way it feels in the hand.

I finally got it for the iPhone 5 after using an Elago Outfit for most of the past year. I originally didn't want to get another, since I had used the 4S version for so long and wanted a change, but then decided when I wanted a little change from the Outfit (which I really like), I'd go back to the Leverage, especially since I still had my half off coupon from the first one, given to original purchasers for the 'scratching' issue with the original clasp, so I only paid $24.95 for the new case. Good deal!

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I don't know why they can't change the plastic used so it doesn't peel off? You would think after a couple of years they would do something about it. I received mine for the iPhone 5 a couple of weeks ago and it started peeling. I got a replacement I have only had for 2 days and I expect it to peel soon as I can already see a spot in the upper left corner.

I really like the look and design of this case especially with the Trunket wood back.

The peeling looks crappy. I showed it to my friend and he said he would never pay 50 for a case where the paint peels of after a few days.

I just got my i5 Leverage. I had been one of the earliest users of the Leverage on my 4S, and I loved that case (used it more than any other). The soft touch eventually wore away on the edges, as I expect this one will too, but I found it wore well, and did it gracefully, so you can only notice it's gone upon very close inspection.

The i5 version I'm finding has improved on the original design in every way...obviously the protection on the clasp, the beautiful volume rocker, and even the fit when only using it as a bumper. I love the way it feels in the hand.

I finally got it for the iPhone 5 after using an Elago Outfit for most of the past year. I originally didn't want to get another, since I had used the 4S version for so long and wanted a change, but then decided when I wanted a little change from the Outfit (which I really like), I'd go back to the Leverage, especially since I still had my half off coupon from the first one, given to original purchasers for the 'scratching' issue with the original clasp, so I only paid $24.95 for the new case. Good deal!

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Can anyone tell me if the Official Apple 30 pin to Lightning CABLE adapter fits into this case? I use the adapter cable all the time, and it's slightly larger the the standard Apple lightning cable. I want to pick up this case, but I need to know if it works.

Thanks!

bighabeeb

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2010
Can anyone tell me if the Official Apple 30 pin to Lightning CABLE adapter fits into this case? I use the adapter cable all the time, and it's slightly larger the the standard Apple lightning cable. I want to pick up this case, but I need to know if it works.

Thanks!

Paul - it does not. The bottom of the case has a very small opening and the 30pin adapter won't make it in, unfortunately (as such, neither will a majority of the dock type solutions out there).

The saving grace is that the case goes on and off VERY easily.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Paul - it does not. The bottom of the case has a very small opening and the 30pin adapter won't make it in, unfortunately (as such, neither will a majority of the dock type solutions out there).

The saving grace is that the case goes on and off VERY easily.

Thank you for the answer! Does it look like the opening could be opened up to accommodate the adapter with a dremmel or file?

bighabeeb

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2010
Thank you for the answer! Does it look like the opening could be opened up to accommodate the adapter with a dremmel or file?

Possibly, but I suspect it would destroy the finish of the case around it since many folks have reported the finish peeling a bit. I'll take a photo of the bottom in a few and post it up so you can have a look. I suspect it would be easier to dremel off some of the plastic from around the lightning adapter on the 30pin to lightning....

bighabeeb

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2010

Here's a photo of the bottom. You would need to take off the two bars surrounding the charger port, and then thin the front and/or back a smidge as well - which would likely weaken the case to the point of being unusable. I'd say modifying the adapter would definitely be the way to go.
Iphonecase.jpeg

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Here's a photo of the bottom. You would need to take off the two bars surrounding the charger port, and then thin the front and/or back a smidge as well - which would likely weaken the case to the point of being unusable. I'd say modifying the adapter would definitely be the way to go.

That give me a good idea on how I would do this. Thanks for all your help! It's much appreciated!

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
Anyone have any issues with the buttons falling out? I'm on my 3rd case...
A7E72B1F-92C5-4237-90A0-6958C66CE702-29956-0000054DE962E8C7_zpsaec94d22.jpg

D723FC6D-15F4-4AA3-BE01-414DB6DF2DC3-29956-0000054D99A0ADBF_zps9cd0f9ae.jpg

They've been great about sending replacements.

prezasti

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
That sucks about buttons falling out. On a similar note, are the buttons hard to press? Are their advantages to chrome over matte or vise versa?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.