Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
No but yours froze and you got flickering checkerboxes even on the login screen :D

I need things to calm down before paying this much money for a laptop that might have a high failure rate and that I'm honestly not that excited about to begin with, given the port/MagSafe/keyboard/touch bar/trackpad situation.

I have no idea how this is even possible, given it took them ages to come with this rather crappy update, but it seems like a rushed release.

This, along with my 2008 MBP dying because of the Nvidia graphics, makes me appreciate why Apple has been striving so hard to get away from dGPUs in the MBPs.

symphara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2013
This, along with my 2008 MBP dying because of the Nvidia graphics, makes me appreciate why Apple has been striving so hard to get away from dGPUs in the MBPs.
I don't know if the very idea of dGPU is compromised. Does Microsoft have similar issues with their Surface Book? This is not a rhetorical question, I really don't know (that laptop looks super nice but I really wanted a fast 4-core, so I didn't really look into it).

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
I don't know if the very idea of dGPU is compromised. Does Microsoft have similar issues with their Surface Book? This is not a rhetorical question, I really don't know (that laptop looks super nice but I really wanted a fast 4-core, so I didn't really look into it).

Apple has just had some bad luck with dGPUs in the past like with the GeForce 8600M GT in my 2008 MBP. I believe the real reason that was given for Apple not wanting to have dGPUs was the difficulty in supporting GPU switching and maintaining a dual driver stack.

Low country

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2016
South Carolina

Zero issues with 2016 Surface Book Performance Base i7, NVIDIA 965, 16GB RAM, 512SSD

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Apple has just had some bad luck with dGPUs in the past like with the GeForce 8600M GT in my 2008 MBP. I believe the real reason that was given for Apple not wanting to have dGPUs was the difficulty in supporting GPU switching and maintaining a dual driver stack.

I'd gather that Apple would prefer not having dGPUs due to battery life and heat considerations. Unfortunately, Intel's iGPUs are not quite "fully baked" when it comes to yields (ex: Iris Pro 580) and 4K/5K multi-monitor support.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I'm seeing weird glitches (accompanied by system lockup and reboot) as well:

This one is actually interesting. These are the exact same glitches I got after the dGPU on my 2011 iMac broke and I removed the drivers (with a lot of safe mode / command line yoga) to be able to actually boot it up again and recover my data (yes, I did have backups, but it was easier that way).

Try a clean install, it could help (not saying it will).

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
These are the exact same glitches I got after the dGPU on my 2011 iMac broke

This is the scariest part. It's one thing if a small percentage units are DOA, it's another thing if all units are ticking time bombs like the Nvidia 8600 or AMD 6750 series.

Reactions: lympero

Daventry

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2011
This is the scariest part. It's one thing if a small percentage units are DOA, it's another thing if all units are ticking time bombs like the Nvidia 8600 or AMD 6750 series.
Agreed. My MBP mid-2010 had its logic board replaced while AppleCare was still valid.
Then failed again in April 2016 and since then I have to use gfxstatuscard and force iGPU all the time. Also have had to turn off all the energy saving settings, screensaver, etc because all these did cause a kernel panic.
Not only was I looking forward to the new models but also decided to buy a model with no dGPU. But now even people with the 13" one are having issues so...

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Has there ever been a MacBook Pro (with dGPU) without GPUgate?

2006: ATI X1600 - OK
2008: nVidia 8600M GT - Bad
2009: nVidia 9600M GT - OK
2010: nVidia GT 330M - Bad
2011: AMD 6490M/6750M - Bad
2012: nVidia GT 650M - Bad
2013: nVidia GT 750M - OK
2015: AMD R9 M370X - OK for now
2016: AMD 450/455/460 - ?

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
2006: ATI X1600 - OK
2008: nVidia 8600M GT - Bad
2009: nVidia 9600M GT - OK
2010: nVidia GT 330M - Bad
2011: AMD 6490M/6750M - Bad
2012: nVidia GT 650M - Bad
2013: nVidia GT 750M - OK
2015: AMD R9 M370X - OK for now
2016: AMD 450/455/460 - ?
It's not limited to MacBooks, either. Dedicated laptop GPUs always seem to be the first thing to fail. It's why I would prefer not to have them if Intel actually was able to continue to offer high end CPU + GPU combos.

Daventry

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2011
It's not limited to MacBooks, either. Dedicated laptop GPUs always seem to be the first thing to fail. It's why I would prefer not to have them if Intel actually was able to continue to offer high end CPU + GPU combos.
True but this time they haven't given us the option to get the latest 15" model with no dGPU.

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012

Unfortunately it appears that the Intel Iris Pro experiment is over. There are no 45W GT3e or GT4e parts on the roadmap.

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...lake-in-2018-digitimes.2485480/#post-38464586

This is probably because 45W chips tend to go into laptops with dGPUs.

On the bright side, the Intel roadmap says they will be moving to 6C+GT2 for 45W and 4C+GT3e for 28W. That should mean hex-core 15" MBPs with dGPU and quad-core 13" MBPs with Iris landing in late 2018 or early-mid 2019.

That will be perfect timing for my next upgrade.

Reactions: xmonkey

max0981

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2016
Mine keeps on freezing. It usually happens when I am doing graphic intensive stuff live playing 4k videos and steam games. The only time it stopped freezing is when I disabled "Automatic Graphic Switching".
I am not sure if this is a hardware issue or software issue

Quasselstripper

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2016
Southern Germany
This one is actually interesting. These are the exact same glitches I got after the dGPU on my 2011 iMac broke and I removed the drivers (with a lot of safe mode / command line yoga) to be able to actually boot it up again and recover my data (yes, I did have backups, but it was easier that way).

Try a clean install, it could help (not saying it will).

There is actually a free exchange program for 2011 iMac GPUs. I had the problem as well and they repaired it earlier this year for free: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203787

Reactions: ManuCH

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I'm seeing the same graphical issues on my non-Touch Bar 13". It seems to occur most frequently when waking from a longer (3+ hour) sleep, and the screen flashes with distortions seemingly at the same rate as the text cursor.

After logging in, the windows/apps continue to remain distorted for a few seconds until I move some things around and the display seems to 'refresh' itself, and the display is fine until it sleeps again.

Bootleg Gucci

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
NoVA
anyone's BTO 15" MBP TB have scratches on the finish straight out of the box? lol, I haven't even checked for possible Radeon 460 issues because I am requesting a replacement for the factory scratch. IMG_6630.JPG

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
I'm seeing weird glitches (accompanied by system lockup and reboot) as well:
Got exact same as you 2 times yesterday, and also another one, did apple support tell you to replace it?
[doublepost=1480935263][/doublepost]
No, all fine here.
Mine was perfectly fine until the glitch came, after i had it for 1 week, and now i got like 10 serious glitches only yesterday

matixryder

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
Have you guys tried to perform a clean install yet? I had a few buck on my first set up too, but after I did the clean install on my machine everything is fine now.

MMPascal

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
Germany
While I was rendering proxys out of 4K video material I first had this glitch in Adobe Media Encoder and it keeps coming back. It came yesterday 3 times in a row, after that I deactivated the file vault cause somebody said it would drive his machine crazy but still happining. I let the machine run over night and this morning it was also stuck and got like 10 out of 40 proxys done so I guess it happens after a hour or two.

It gets super hot while doing it so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it and this morning after I restarted I even had it during restart.

So what did you guys do with it? Did you return straight away and did it fix the problem? Or same same? Or since it's a huge problem and a lot of people seems to have it are you waiting for Apple?

Thanks

Pascal

felixswensson

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
While I was rendering proxys out of 4K video material I first had this glitch in Adobe Media Encoder and it keeps coming back. It came yesterday 3 times in a row, after that I deactivated the file vault cause somebody said it would drive his machine crazy but still happining. I let the machine run over night and this morning it was also stuck and got like 10 out of 40 proxys done so I guess it happens after a hour or two.

It gets super hot while doing it so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it and this morning after I restarted I even had it during restart.

So what did you guys do with it? Did you return straight away and did it fix the problem? Or same same? Or since it's a huge problem and a lot of people seems to have it are you waiting for Apple?

Thanks

Pascal

Same problems here, haven't been able to solve it yet. Apple wants me to do a clean install before they can/wants to help me further. Will try to do that today and see if that fixes it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.