Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Could try a fresh install of the os just to make sure, although it does look like hardware issue.

That makes more sense if you had it for some time. If the install is already corrupt in some way, that's also a sign of hardware/driver problems.

It could. May as well troubleshoot and do everything you can before sending the thing back and waiting weeks for a BTO replacement.

I don't think I could rule anything out.

Have you seen a single example of this? It regulates speaker volume, the order in which device locations are checked at boot time, and a couple other things. It has nothing to do with the gpu. It's also extraordinarily unlikely that NVRAM was corrupted on a new machine. Assuming it's not a hardware problem, the most likely cause would be an issue with graphics switching. If that is the case, we'll see an update in the very near future. Otherwise it's most likely just bad luck on hardware.

CreativeC

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2016
Nothing is perfect and things are reasonably allowed to be defective in small numbers.

I think I would be pretty pissed of if my 4K investment bought me an unusable piece of garbage, the same way spending 100K on a Porche and finding out the engine goes to **** would make you feel.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I think I would be pretty pissed of if my 4K investment bought me an unusable piece of garbage, the same way spending 100K on a Porche and finding out the engine goes to **** would make you feel.

I mentioned something similar on another thread - a lot of people would go ******* if something similar happened with Dell - or if HP started using soldered SSD's on these expensive beasts. But it's Apple so its OK, because they can do no wrong?

Perhaps the comfort of knowing if anything goes wrong they can just send it to an Apple store makes them forgive? I honestly am counting more issues on these MacBooks than Dells/HP's etc yet, the noise seems to not be there for Apple.

Perhaps its because Apple only make up <10% of the market, or maybe when someone makes such a large investment, they always try to see the positive side of things? Maybe the "niceness" of the machines makes one strive to ignore the imperfections. Or perhaps, going back to my previous point, all the venting is left at the Apple store, so there is no need to come to forums/threads when things go wrong.

I guess the only thing I can definitely say is, Apple support is probably much better than everyone elses. But I am not sure if their products are anymore.

In 2014, I truly felt nothing compared to the rMBP in the market - and when I bought my iPhone 4S, I truly felt it blew everything else out of the competition.

Now in 2016, both with iPhones and MacBooks, I don't feel the same - and I think I am inconveniencing myself greatly investing in Apple.

Reactions: CreativeC

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
i think a fresh install would be ok if he back up from a previous model

It would be okay in that it wouldn't hurt anything. It also wouldn't fix anything, because of all the things that could go wrong, this provides zero reason to suspect a corrupt installation. I don't typically recommend people voodoo rituals.

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
What happens if you take a screenshot (CMD + SHIFT + 3) when these artifacts appear? Do they appear in the screenshot as well?

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
What happens if you take a screenshot (CMD + SHIFT + 3) when these artifacts appear? Do they appear in the screenshot as well?

The images he posted in the original post appear to be screen shots. Usually GPU artifacts do not appear in screen shots. It could be that OS X does this differently than Windows, but I tried to show off some artifacts when I had an issues on Windows back in Vista/7 days but it would never appear in my print screen.

triumph71

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2014
I also have a new 2016 MBP with the Radeon 460. I tried to replicate with safari and 4-finger-swiping between desktops, and I had no issues or visual artifacts. Maybe there will be some 15" demo displays at the Apple Store when you go for your appointment. I would definitely try on those also.

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
CMD-SHIFT-3 is a full screen grab
CMD-SHIFT-4 is a selective screen grab (drag with the mouse)

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
CMD-SHIFT-3 is a full screen grab
CMD-SHIFT-4 is a selective screen grab (drag with the mouse)

No I know, but do you think this would make a difference? I will have to try and recreate the issue, it is intermittent, I was hoping its just a driver issue with Mac OS and the new Radeon cards.

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
No I know, but do you think this would make a difference? I will have to try and recreate the issue, it is intermittent, I was hoping its just a driver issue with Mac OS and the new Radeon cards.

I think it might depend on how macOS implements the screen grab functionality vs. where the potential hardware fault is. i.e. does the OS render into a new RAM buffer when doing a screen grab, or does the OS scrape the VRAM frame buffer? Is the artifacting present in the VRAM frame buffer, or is the GPU mangling it on the way to the display? Etc.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
Looks exactly like what happened with my 2012 and 15 models. It's because of how the graphics card is attached into the motherboard via soldering. Theyll keep replacing the parts, but you'll keep getting this.

I somehow knew Apple wouldn't fix this issue for these laptops. If you guys still order these after something like this, you're absolutely blind.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Looks exactly like what happened with my 2012 and 15 models. It's because of how the graphics card is attached into the motherboard via soldering. Theyll keep replacing the parts, but you'll keep getting this.

I somehow knew Apple wouldn't fix this issue for these laptops. If you guys still order these after something like this, you're absolutely blind.

Not likely to repeat after replacement since this obviously is not the situation where it fails over time - it failed out of the box. Burn-in is designed to catch 99.999 of component failures, which means a few get through. They would have to increase the burn-in time substantially to avoid all out-of-box failures.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
Not likely to repeat after replacement since this obviously is not the situation where it fails over time - it failed out of the box. Burn-in is designed to catch 99.999 of component failures, which means a few get through. They would have to increase the burn-in time substantially to avoid all out-of-box failures.

Time is there only factor that separates a completely working one from another that shows up like this. Whether that's time in-between you getting the computer or time after you get it and use it, it doesn't matter.

I welcome any conversations about this, but having two mbp's that went through this same thing and going to the Apple store a dozen times to resolve it, this just solidified to me that Apple is officially done with dGPU laptops

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I am bringing it to a Genius appointment tomorrow! Since it is two days old, will they most likely just reorder me a new one and I can return this one as defective when the new on arrives? I couldn't afford to be without a laptop for 5-6 weeks :eek:

P.S If it was an intermittent sodering issue would it be discovered in their diagnostics?

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Has there ever been a MacBook Pro (with dGPU) without GPUgate?
My late 2008 MBP 15" with Radeon 9600 seems to be the model that escaped dGPU issues. My son still uses this machine daily for Minecraft and .io websites as well as TF2 and Borderlands games. My MBP has been locked to dGPU only for last two years.

Was hoping to get a replacement for this model.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
I am bringing it to a Genius appointment tomorrow! Since it is two days old, will they most likely just reorder me a new one and I can return this one as defective when the new on arrives? I couldn't afford to be without a laptop for 5-6 weeks :eek:

P.S If it was an intermittent sodering issue would it be discovered in their diagnostics?

No, they will never admit it is a soldering issue, even though it's been apparent since the 2012 retina models. They will most likely say something vague like, "Oh, we see a problem with your motherboard!" (Which is not really untrue, as everything's soldered onto it)

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007

If it was an intermittent issue and not acting up it would probably be missed. It's like going to a garage because your car sometimes makes a thinking noise. If your car doesn't make the noise while it's at the shop, it's going to be very difficult/impossible to find the issue.
[doublepost=1479312500][/doublepost]Also, someone else seems to have this problem:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/red-blocks-graphical-issue-bto-15-radeon-460.2015327/

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
If it was an intermittent issue and not acting up it would probably be missed. It's like going to a garage because your car sometimes makes a thinking noise. If your car doesn't make the noise while it's at the shop, it's going to be very difficult/impossible to find the issue.
[doublepost=1479312500][/doublepost]Also, someone else seems to have this problem:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/red-blocks-graphical-issue-bto-15-radeon-460.2015327/

(That's the same person lol)

Reactions: phloo

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
so 1 mbp= all the mbp are with problems???!?!! or this guy works for microsoft marketing?
[doublepost=1479314069][/doublepost]i wonder if anyone can answer this: a lot of MBP with 650M,750M and R9 M370X are broken because dGPU?

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
so 1 mbp= all the mbp are with problems???!?!! or this guy works for microsoft marketing?
[doublepost=1479314069][/doublepost]i wonder if anyone can answer this: a lot of MBP with 650M,750M and R9 M370X are broken because dGPU?

It has the similar symptoms of my 2012 and 2015 rMBP's. Apple officially acknowledged 2012's model, but has yet to do so for the 2015 one. So I think I can make a safe bet that it's the same issues with the 2016 models. But yeah, let's go with the knee-jerk "HURR DURR MICROSOFT MARKETING."

I know for sure that regardless of NVIDIA or AMD, these dGPU MBP's have had way too many problems BECAUSE of these cards (People with the models with no dGPU's have had none of these aforementioned issues)

Sincerely,
Microsoft Marketing Team

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.