Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
Getting an external display really helps, and gives you far more flexibility, right now i use itunes/messaging on my macbook display and have photoshop or garageband (well, i'm meaning to get logic express) on my external

vaderhater245

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
From my experience as a Graphic Design Student, I didnt start to use my MBP potential until last semester as a junior. And now the thing is ancient. Reason why i got a 2.4 MB to pick up the slack until graduation. Then the big things come. lol

Benchmob31

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2008
West Sacramento, CA
I am starting my own graphic design company and would suggest the 15.4 MBP. As far as HD, go to dealmac.com. You will find the best prices their. I would suggest the 320 gig hdd at 7200rpm. It will give you better speed then the stock harddrives. You can get one for like $80. Also make sure to bump your ram up to 4 gigs. It makes a huge difference.

redsteven

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Thanks Designer! I found the RAM on the http://www.macsales.com website to be much cheaper than on http://www.apple.com The other question I have then is...what size hard drive should I start out with? I was going to max it out at 320 serial ATA buut if that's something I don't need to do I don't want to waste the money. What would be your recommendation?

Check http://www.dealram.com also.

The website is about as easy to use as it could possibly be, and it's a great tool. Lists price comparisons for a ton of website, AND tells you whether the RAM is namebrand or not, AND it includes the shipping price in the comparisons.

ImYourVillain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Ohio, USA
OK! Wow more advice, thanks so much. Now...my question is...is it easy to buy and install both the RAM and the hard drive for the MBP? I know it's a dumb question but I don't really know how to do that sort of stuff and well heck I might as well lean.

SO would it make sense, (and it's going to be cheaper this way, I think) to get the 15.4 MBP with the standard 2 GB RAM and the 250GB Serial ATA @5400 hard drive and THEN buy 2 more gigs of RAM and the 350GB hard drive from the website listed above? Think that's the way I'm going to go...

rake_mistry

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
🇨🇦
OK! Wow more advice, thanks so much. Now...my question is...is it easy to buy and install both the RAM and the hard drive for the MBP? I know it's a dumb question but I don't really know how to do that sort of stuff and well heck I might as well lean.

SO would it make sense, (and it's going to be cheaper this way, I think) to get the 15.4 MBP with the standard 2 GB RAM and the 250GB Serial ATA @5400 hard drive and THEN buy 2 more gigs of RAM and the 350GB hard drive from the website listed above? Think that's the way I'm going to go...

Yes. That would be ideal for someone in your situation. :)

citycm

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008

Bear in mind, you might actually need to buy 4GB of Ram as I think the Macbook Pros come with 2 x 1GB sticks rather than 1 x 2GB stick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.