Graphics Card For Powermac G3

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Sawtoothdude, Jan 10, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

I am looking to get a PCI Graphics card for the Powermac G3 Blue, I need it to be supported by Quartz Extreme with or with out PCI Extreme Software. I also need it to be inexpensive. What graphics card would suit my Mac?

2. macrumors 6502

I don't know what PCI Extreme software is but the best card you can get for the B&W is the PCI Radeon 9200. The Radeon 7000 is also an option. There are always some on eBay (search for 'Mac Radeon PCI').

3. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

PCI extreme is a hack to enable QE on older, pci-based macs. And it worked great with the 9200 I had in my B&W :D

5. thread starter macrumors regular

I have a G4 upgrade in there making it soar with my media but the Lack Of Quatrz Extreme is hindering some stuff, mostly Front Row because I get the video tearing. I don't need top notch performance or tons of memory as my machine only gets a video work out in DVDs, Front Row and occasionally iMovie.

6. macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Honestly you're trying to do way way too much with that thing. Also, PCI Extreme made DVD playback suffer immensely on my well-upgraded B&W G3.

7. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Wow, you're doing that on a Power Mac G3 w/G4? Get a new machine. You're wasting money on that Power Mac that could be going toward a new one.

8. thread starter macrumors regular

It is my brothers Machine and he mostly uses it for a Jukebox and watches DVDs with his 24" Monitor, It performs fine but we are trying to get Front Row to Not appear Upside down. M Main machine is the 1.8 Ghz G4 in my sig(Now with more memory) Also I rarely Use iMovie, So far it has been used twice for small little projects and when he needs larger projects he uses my G4.

I am just looking for a graphics card that will let me and my brother watch DVDs and use Front Row without it showing up akwardly.

9. macrumors 6502a

spinne1

I never used front row but did have a B & W G3 with a Radeon 7000. It played DVDs fine.

10. macrumors 601

dpaanlka

They play DVDs fine stock. It's only until you do the PCI Extreme hack that stuff like that gets messed up.