Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Hi Everyone.. I'm looking into getting a graphics tablet and wanted your thoughts. I'll be using this for editing in Photoshop (my photography) and wanted a bit more control with brushes, burns, etc. Also, I'd like to use it to perhaps write a paper once in a while. (I know, I know, Dig. Photography forum, but do any of you guys do this?)

Is Wacom the way to go? I really don't have the cash for an Intuos now and I'm wondering if a Graphire will suffice. I won't be doing anything *that* heavy duty and want to stay relatively cheap, as this if my first tablet..

Basically, what do you use yours for? Is it worth it?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Edit: Dumb question, while you hover the pen over the tablet can you see the cursor on screen to see where to drop the pen down at?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Edit: Dumb question, while you hover the pen over the tablet can you see the cursor on screen to see where to drop the pen down at?

Yes

And to answer the rest of your question, the Graphire will be fine for your needs. I used to use them for AutoCAD now I use them for editing my photos. I wouldn't have it any other way.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Is Wacom the way to go? I really don't have the cash for an Intuos now and I'm wondering if a Graphire will suffice. I won't be doing anything *that* heavy duty and want to stay relatively cheap, as this if my first tablet..

I had a Graphire for a while, I don't use it now because it doesn't travel well- but it's fine for photos.

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
The Graphire is good, but I would suggest investing in an Intuos as soon as you can. They are seriously waaayyyyyy better. The pen is more confortable to hold and they come with different types of nibs. (one has a similar feel as a pencil, more friction, more resistance, after using it you will not be able to go back to the plain plastic one.) Not to mention the shortcut and scroll buttons.

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
I know a guy who uses his laptop for everything, so he does math homework on a graphire tablet and it goes onto his laptop. Its pretty cool.

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan

Basically, what do you use yours for? Is it worth it?

Dumb question, while you hover the pen over the tablet can you see the cursor on screen to see where to drop the pen down at?

Wacom is the shitznitz!

Emm, personally I use the Intuos A4 Wide for photoshop.

It really is mindblowingly good. Obviously,I survived fototshopping for 13 years with a mouse, but I wouldnt go back anymore unless threatened with a gun.
Way more easier with almost all tools. Exept the clone tool... I just cant seem to get it work decently..dont know why? :confused:
If I have to do bigger clone works,i use mouse..

Learning curve is quite fast,you´ll be diealed in withing few hours. At first the pressure thing (push harder,get a thinner/stronger line) felt counter intuitive for me.Dont know why.
For other programs the pen is quite crappy thouhg.
Using it for the osx or even Lightroom is slow and eventfull (I do mistakes all the time).
I guess that the main reason is that the cursor speed and sensitivty demands are different in photoshop and other programs.

And to the hoovering thing, it really depends how high you hover it.
I use the table as a reference point,so if i need to move from left to right,i just lift over the tablet straight to the target if you know what i mean...
You get a hunch quite fast anyway...

Personally i tried the A5 wich i found too small (30" display) and the A3 was just too huge to be usefull for me...I mean,it is huge.
Dont have any experience on the graphis though. Never seen personally any professionals using it...

Hopfully that ramble was of any help!:D

EDIT: About the writing part, i quickly tried to write with it and it was useless! Hear me! Useless!! Didnt work for me..

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Hey Everyone. My Graphire came today and I LOVE IT. I messed around with some pictures, and I can already see how it will help. It also is taking a bunch of strain off my hand by using it for web browsing/etc. Oh and I made some cool doodles in the included software. ;) I just wanted to thank you guys for your help and see if you could reccomend any fun little apps to play with. I saw a guy on YouTube play a song with one and wanted to know if that was an app or what.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.