Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
ChrisBrightwell said:
Get the most powerful calc that you can use on the SAT/ACT.

When I was taking them, that would've been the TI-86.
It's the 89 now.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
MacFan25863 said:
It's the 89 now.

yeah rumor is that not going to last for much longer. They are just going to ban all programible caluculator to remove the fact that the 89 are to powerful.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
MacFan25863 said:
Yeah, but as I said earlier, I have to buy a new one no matter what, so the question is to go for the 84 or the 89.

And yeah, I have a Ti-36 Solar (or something like that) that I used in my chemistry class last year and for times when I can't use my graphing calculator.

Not being able to do the math without the calculator is not really an issue for me, I've always done very well in math and can solve an equation by myself without a calculator with no issue. The calculator just lets me shave time and focus on more important things (I always like to at least try and go over the test, or at least the hard problems, at least twice, and using a calculator helps me with that).

I think I'm going to go with the 89. If anything, the extra $14 will be worth being able to play all the cool games that are out for it :D.

Hmm I could see how it could save time but in the case of the 89 and above it even worse that it can do the upper level stuff for you. It can intergrate and take derivitives (sp), and solve impericily (no numbers just varibles) and it can solve with numbers plus do almost all the algreabra work for you.

Problem comes is when you start relaying on that and never learn it. Getting the 89 I would do so under the plan never to use the advance features until you get past cal I becaues you never learn the stuff. Calculas is 90% algreabra and only 10% of it is calculas but I think it very imporant that the algreabra skills get toned because quite off you need to be able to do good at them to solve some problems.

Yeah I know you say you are good and it will save time but it will hurt you in the long run if you use its upper level function of a 89 at the math leval you currently are at. I know a lot of the things you do in pre cal it will hurt you if you use it thinking it will save you time because you not going to be able to learn it. You are starting to hit trig and this is where people who historicly have been really strong at math will all of a sudden be stugglily to get by. Not everyone has that problem but the people start hitting there limits at about trig and really stuggle with math from that point on. Even if earily on they where very strong at math.

I see a lot of people who have always been good at math just hit the brick wall at about precal and I do help them but they struggle for a while until they get over that hump which is quite offen trig. It is what got me and it took me a while get over it and when I did all of a sudden a lot of stuff made since and Calcus and trig was easy for me. And you using a TI-89 power can easily cause you to miss that hump and not relieze that it there until you passed it and then you are SOL because when you all of a sudden are struggling in high levels you will not know what is holding you back and just will struggle from that point on. That is exactly what got me. I was struggling in Cal I and did in precal. I went back and took trig and all of a sudden all of Caclus made sence it was like a magic wand was waved.

Just though I would give you some advice though experices. Yeah now I am extremly strong at math and I rememeber what I had trouble doing in cal I and in precal and now that stuff to me is a joke (minus drevitives by proof meathod, Every time I have to do that I have to look it up and relearn it.)

cruxed

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2005
Hong Kong
I am just going into 11th grade now and our school standard is either the TI-83 plus or the TI-84 Silver Edition. But some new students coming in decided that the TI-89 platinum edition would be a better bang for their buck cause of it's display of summations, integrals, derivatives, etc. Yet the interface on these advanced calculators are so hard to figure out (they are almost like a computer's- File, Edit menu etc.) one of the new students got fed up and bought a TI-83 plus.

Regardless of your choice, graphing calculators are awesome... hahah just my little tale.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
cruxed said:
I am just going into 11th grade now and our school standard is either the TI-83 plus or the TI-84 Silver Edition. But some new students coming in decided that the TI-89 platinum edition would be a better bang for their buck cause of it's display of summations, integrals, derivatives, etc. Yet the interface on these advanced calculators are so hard to figure out (they are almost like a computer's- File, Edit menu etc.) one of the new students got fed up and bought a TI-83 plus.

Regardless of your choice, graphing calculators are awesome... hahah just my little tale.

lol I am not surpised. The 89 and above are designed for engineers and high math people in mind. It requires a understanding of some basic math skills to use. It took me a little of adjusting to get to but pretty print is something I dont want to give up. So much easier to understand. Once people learn how use the 89 and up general they dont want to go back. But if one is not planning being an engineering or science major or not going past at least cal I the 89 is just a waste of money. Now for engineering majors the 89 and up is a gift from God. It a great tool but rememeber it is only a tool.

As for the OP of wanting to put games on it. You will figure out pretty quickly that it not worth it and will cause more problems that it is worth.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
SurfinSHELL23 said:
I would recommend you at least look at an HP. I have one and really like it, but it might not work for all people.

http://www.hp.com/calculators/graphing/49gplus/

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense if everyone else in the class is using a TI...

There's almost no room for HP calculators in the current high school classroom. Everything is TI based.

As for your calc class...there's not a whole lot of reason to get the 89 and figure out how to use it if the rest of the class is going to be using the 83 or 84, and everything will be taught on an 83 basis.

Save your money, the features are nice but not amazing, especially if you can't get help from your teacher or the rest of the class in how to use them. At least with an 83 you can turn to your neighbor and ask "wtf is she talking about, how do you do that??" and get an answer. :)

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
I took my TI-89 Titanium back for a TI-84 Silver Edition because the book and instructions that I was using called for the 83 or 84, just get the most updated version of the 84, I love it. My Professor did not recommend the 89.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.