Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Does anyone here have a Gtech or OWC external hard drive case? I am thinking about purchasing one of them. Only positive that I can see for the OWC is that I can put all my extra hard drives in there. I have to say, the look of the Gtech drives are really nice.

hsilver

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
New York
OWC & G-Raid

I use a lot of OWC drives and they are very reliable. CHeck the new OWC Alu drives and the Black Aluminum SATA Raid drives -y similiar to G-Raid's look

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Now, I havent used OWC's hard drive, but their customer service is great which also matters when buying something. I ordered a DVD burner from them, got it on Friday, and it was DOA. Called them Friday evening, they were very helpful, and a new DVD burner is on a UPS truck right now making it's rounds around town, waiting to be delivered to me.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I bought an external USB hard drive from OWC, but I've never bought the larger cases for multiple drives.

FWIW, OWC has the best customer service of any online vendor I've bought from, they ship fast and are generally good to deal with.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
I like mine G-Drive made by G-Tech, specs in sig. It pretty fast too, I got up 60MB/s of transfer when I was playing a 10bit uncompressed video file at 3x time the play back speed. :D They are bit laud though, the aluminum case kinda amplifies all the noise.

RHMMMM

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2005
I have the RAID-0 OWC Case and I love it - works great and looks awesome too - super fast over FW800!

Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Okk, I bought the g-tech drive, it is kinda loud for my taste, even though the design is awesome. I took it apart, and I was surprised to see no rubber anything to dampen the noise, the drive is mounted directly to the aluminum. How do the hard drives mount in the OWC. If it is the same way, Ill def take the g-tech over the owc, I like the design better. Its still so loud though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.