Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
because I read some bad things about Yosemite.

Card will work fine for those things with the Nvidia Web and CUDA drivers.

Don't believe everything you read. Yosemite on the latest build runs perfectly on a 2008 MP and El Capitan works even better.

Reactions: jolanyehis

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Biggest issue with 750Ti and OSX is with a specific Asus 750Ti. I have found that the one with a DP port can work but the one with no DP port has the issue.

So, primary lesson is to buy aNOTHER BRAND. I found a thread at InsanelyMac last night where some in the Hack community found this issue last fall. Their fix was to flash a different PC BIOS on to the card. Unfortunately this cuts the RAM in half but at least enabled DVI and HDMI.

As usual, you must have Web Drivers installed and running.

Reactions: jolanyehis

FilthyMcNasty

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2014
Ok dudes hahaha - I just threw a new power supply from dvwarehouse into my 2008 Mac Pro and the answer is YES. EVGA 750ti sc (from B&H) working flawlessly. Haven't tried the display port yet, but the DVI and HDMI work fine - no audio through HDMI. Specs are OS X 10.10.5 NVIDIA Web Driver 346.02.03f01 CUDA Driver 7.0.61. Mac Pro 2008 upgraded to 3.2 Ghz dual Quad-Core, 32gb ram, ASUS GTX 770 and EVGA 750ti sc & CalDigit Fasta USB3/Esata 2 that has 2 internal sata3 connections and I threw a OWC multi-mount into the Superdrive bay with a couple of Samsung 850 500gb SSD (connected to the Fasta card. I had to cut the side of the drive bay so the cables would reach) that have the OS main/startup disk and a second fast storage disk that redline the Blackmagic disk speed test thing. GPU - OpenCL works in all programs. I use it for FCP7, CUDA working in CS6, DaVinci 11 Lite (only runs 1 card the 770 thru trial and error buy full version and you have both), REDCINE X utilizing CUDA - both cards totalling 2176 cores and 13 multiprocessors. Pretty dope little experiment. Hope it helps... The GTX 770 works perfect since OS X 10.8.5. That was long but I wanted that info myself after I accidentally won a 2008 mac pro on EBAY that I had to FU@# with.

Hi.. Can I get an update on this please.. All running OK ??

Can you confirm this is the one you have :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-GeForc..._cp_147_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0M02HPTEF5RT6XFVZQZC

FilthyMcNasty

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2014
Thanks Petelugo..

Saw a very nice deal on nearly new Gigabyte 750ti black edition.

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?page=0&itemid=1378

Couldn't find any user reports.. so I decided to have a gamble. I can report that, thus far, seems to be working nicely in a Mac Pro 3,1 with 10.10.5

I'll write an update once I've had a good play with it

2wquxsp.jpg

FilthyMcNasty

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2014
The system report showed the card as x8 on slot 1. Moved it to slot 2 and it's now showing x16..

Maybe an issue, maybe just not properly seated or something.

Seems to be running great so far!

Very quiet card even under load.

LogicalVue

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2007
USA (Maine)
To add info for others here: I have an EVGA Geforce GTX 750ti 2GB RAM installed it my 2009 Mac Pro (firmware upgraded to 5,1). I go this card on eBay for $130 and it has been flashed for Mac.

Right now it is connected to a Samsung U28E590D (UltraHD/4K) using DisplayPort and running in HiDPI mode (1920x1080) at 60hz. The card remains quiet. The Expansion slot fan speed went from about 900rpm to 1200rpm when using this display (previously I was using a MonoPrice 27" GlassPanel Pro @ 2560x1440). Other modes all display fine at 60hz as well.

petelugo

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2015
Hello,

After reading a pretty good review on the new GTX 750Ti entry GPU with only 60W TDP, I am wondering if Mavericks has drivers for it. I know that all Kepler cards are supported but this one is Maxwell-based.

It would be nice to use a card like this with decent performance and no power pcie cables, plus it is super cheap :)

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-GTX750TI-OC-2GD5-ASUS-Graphics-Cards/dp/B00IB9P1KG/

Thanks
[doublepost=1454718537][/doublepost]Yes, I am pretty sure it will work. The best performance I've seen in my machine is running Yosemite 10.10.5. I actually have 2 Maxwell based cards in my config - EVGA GTX 980 and Evga GTX 750 ti. Both work great - Neither are flashed. No logo on start-up but don't care. Download Nvidia web drivers and Cuda for Mac 1st. Select web drivers and good to go..
[doublepost=1454718790][/doublepost]
Card will work fine for those things with the Nvidia Web and CUDA drivers.

Don't believe everything you read. Yosemite on the latest build runs perfectly on a 2008 MP and El Capitan works even better.

How are the Nvidia web drivers in El Capitan?

bingr001

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2015
To add info for others here: I have an EVGA Geforce GTX 750ti 2GB RAM installed it my 2009 Mac Pro (firmware upgraded to 5,1). I go this card on eBay for $130 and it has been flashed for Mac.

Right now it is connected to a Samsung U28E590D (UltraHD/4K) using DisplayPort and running in HiDPI mode (1920x1080) at 60hz. The card remains quiet. The Expansion slot fan speed went from about 900rpm to 1200rpm when using this display (previously I was using a MonoPrice 27" GlassPanel Pro @ 2560x1440). Other modes all display fine at 60hz as well.

I have a 2008 Mac Pro and have the same graphics card. I crash often when using Adobe CC Premiere. Would you recommend upgrading the Mac Pro's firmware to 5,1 ? Also should I flash the card for Mac?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I have a 2008 Mac Pro and have the same graphics card. I crash often when using Adobe CC Premiere. Would you recommend upgrading the Mac Pro's firmware to 5,1 ? Also should I flash the card for Mac?

2008 is the 3,1 model, CANNOT be flashed to 5,1.

I personally always prefer a flashed card, however, I doubt if it help for the crashing.

bingr001

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2015
2008 is the 3,1 model, CANNOT be flashed to 5,1.

I personally always prefer a flashed card, however, I doubt if it help for the crashing.

Darn and darn. Thanks for the heads up! I didn't know that.
I'll double check that it does have to do with the graphics card and not the power supply.

LogicalVue

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2007
USA (Maine)
Recently I have been having trouble with my Mac Pro with the EVGA Geforce GTX 750ti not waking properly from sleep. The Mac itself does wake up, but the display never wakes up. Nothing I've tried wakes the display. I have to hold down power to force a reboot. I haven't found a solution, so now I'm shutting down my Mac Pro each evening instead of sleeping it.

G4-power

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2004
Vaasa, Finland
Despite hearing some having bad luck with the Asus 750 Ti, I tried my luck with a Asus GTX750TI-OC-2GD5. It was both cheap and easily available. I have a MacPro5,1 running 10.11.6.

Installed Nvidia web drivers at first, installed the card, needed an extension for the 6-pin PCIe power cable, and as expected, only VGA worked.
I flashed the card with the VBIOS for a similar Asus STRIX 750 Ti as per instructions and the BIOS found on this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302628-gtx-750-ti/page-2
And now both DVI connectors and HDMI work. VGA not so well, but that doesn't matter to me. Of course no boot screen, but sleep works.

DelMurice

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2018
Hello,

After reading a pretty good review on the new GTX 750Ti entry GPU with only 60W TDP, I am wondering if Mavericks has drivers for it. I know that all Kepler cards are supported but this one is Maxwell-based.

It would be nice to use a card like this with decent performance and no power pcie cables, plus it is super cheap :)

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-GTX750TI-OC-2GD5-ASUS-Graphics-Cards/dp/B00IB9P1KG/

Thanks
GTX 770 should work with 10.8.5 onward as it's a rebranded GTX 680. Most "TI" cards aren't supported as far as I can tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.