Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SawTooth500

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
Florence, Arizona
just ran accross this on "Mac Elite":

:apple:>

Pareis
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:32 pm Post subject: Using Open Firmware to install Leopard below 867 MHz Reply with quote

It is easy to fake the CPU frequency in the device tree and make the installer happy. Just copy the following code into a file called fastG4.txt, place it in the root of the primary partition on your master drive (originally Macintosh HD, where the System folder usually resides) and reboot into the Open Firmware monitor (holding down Command-Option-O-F).

Code:
\ Claim first G4 runs at 867 MHz, and boot from CD/DVD:
dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4@0
d# 867000000 encode-int " clock-frequency" property
boot cd:,\\:tbxi

After inserting the installation DVD execute the new file at the command prompt using boot hd:\fastG4.txt.
-----------------------

Actually it is even easier than this.

reboot and hold down Command-Option-O-F.

at the prompt > type nvedit<enter> (<enter> means press return)

type the next exactly like here:

dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4@0<enter>
Now pres Cntl +'C' to close nvedit.

save the script:

nvstore<enter>

enable the NVRAMRC:

setenv use-nvramrc? true<enter>

and reboot by typing:

reset-all<enter>

pop in the DVD and restart holding "C" down to get into the install DVD, and away we go! Have Fun!:apple:

ilikecake

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
Thanks to the person who recommended the firmware update for the Kernel Panic issue on old G4s. Leopard installs and works fine on my Sawtooth now.

Also the OpenFirmware trick works great :)

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
Thanks to the person who recommended the firmware update for the Kernel Panic issue on old G4s. Leopard installs and works fine on my Sawtooth now.

Also the OpenFirmware trick works great :)

NP man but it was the OP that thought it could have been the old firmware, and i told him i think that is the issue since i seen something about firmware versions wile i was modding the Osinstall.mpkg (also it came to mind about the firmware version for the 867mhz QS) . that he should get a OS 9 install to install Os 9 just to update the firmware ( at-least OS 9 is still good for something)

it almost reminds me of the iMac G3 in having to update the firmware before it could boot OS X, i would have been in the same boat if i didnt realise (when i first got my DA, i checked the firmware version and checked Apples firmware update page) a few weeks ago that is was running old firmware.

only if i could say the same thing about the Yikes G4 lol

Yea i told that guy from Macelite to come and post it here also, to help spread different way's to install Leopard on unsupported systems, his way is great if you don't have a DVD burner and want to install Leopard.

10.5.1 also installed and it working great.

Fluffy Lemon

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2007
Nearly there but need some help

Bit of a noob here but followed the instructions an all went well. I was left with the sparse image on my desktop and tried to burn with toast but it didnt boot.

I then tried Disk utility to burn in but it wasnt a .dmg file so it wouldnt do it. It wasnt a .dmg or a dvd icon but those kinda rectanguar ones you get when you double click on a .dmg

I then converted it to a .dmg using a utility called dropdmg but it still wont make a bootable dvd.

Im trying to install leopard on a gigabit ethernet G4. The disk wont boot up on my imac 24inch so i know its not a hardware issue.

Any help would be appreciated

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Bit of a noob here but followed the instructions an all went well. I was left with the sparse image on my desktop and tried to burn with toast but it didnt boot.

I then tried Disk utility to burn in but it wasnt a .dmg file so it wouldnt do it. It wasnt a .dmg or a dvd icon but those kinda rectanguar ones you get when you double click on a .dmg

I then converted it to a .dmg using a utility called dropdmg but it still wont make a bootable dvd.

Im trying to install leopard on a gigabit ethernet G4. The disk wont boot up on my imac 24inch so i know its not a hardware issue.

Any help would be appreciated

Correct me someone, if I'm wrong because of the whole PPC/Intel divide

However, you should be able to boot up the PM in Target Disk Mode and connect the it and the iMac with a 6 pin to 6 pin FireWire cable. Run the installer on the iMac and select the PM's hard drive when prompted. Let the installation finish and then shut the iMac and the PM down. Start the PM and you should be in Leopard.

Let me know if you need better instructions.

Also, I got Leopard running on my PowerMac G4 Sawtooth (400 MHz, 192 MB RAM, Rage Pro 128) for those interested... it's actually quite fast! I'm using i as a file server at our church.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio

However, you should be able to boot up the PM in Target Disk Mode and connect the it and the iMac with a 6 pin to 6 pin FireWire cable. Run the installer on the iMac and select the PM's hard drive when prompted. Let the installation finish and then shut the iMac and the PM down. Start the PM and you should be in Leopard.

Also, I got Leopard running on my PowerMac G4 Sawtooth (400 MHz, 192 MB RAM, Rage Pro 128) for those interested... it's actually quite fast! I'm using i as a file server at our church.

are you using sever, or just the standard Leopard version. Yea i think Leopard is quite fast on my DA as well. but there can be a few moments. watching activity monitor i seen a few background processes taking up allot of CPU, and sometimes the HDD will swap like mad when this is happening. but it dont do it all of the time, it a random thing.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
are you using sever, or just the standard Leopard version. Yea i think Leopard is quite fast on my DA as well. but there can be a few moments. watching activity monitor i seen a few background processes taking up allot of CPU, and sometimes the HDD will swap like mad when this is happening. but it dont do it all of the time, it a random thing.

I'm using the client version.

The only time I notice a slowdown is when I click "OK" to apply something.

agvrobot

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2007
just ran accross this on "Mac Elite":

:apple:>

Pareis
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:32 pm Post subject: Using Open Firmware to install Leopard below 867 MHz Reply with quote

It is easy to fake the CPU frequency in the device tree and make the installer happy. Just copy the following code into a file called fastG4.txt, place it in the root of the primary partition on your master drive (originally Macintosh HD, where the System folder usually resides) and reboot into the Open Firmware monitor (holding down Command-Option-O-F).

Code:
\ Claim first G4 runs at 867 MHz, and boot from CD/DVD:
dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4@0
boot cd:,\\:tbxi

After inserting the installation DVD execute the new file at the command prompt using boot hd:\fastG4.txt.
-----------------------

Actually it is even easier than this.

reboot and hold down Command-Option-O-F.

at the prompt > type nvedit<enter> (<enter> means press return)

type the next exactly like here:

dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4@0<enter>
Now pres Cntl +'C' to close nvedit.

save the script:

nvstore<enter>

enable the NVRAMRC:

setenv use-nvramrc? true<enter>

and reboot by typing:

reset-all<enter>

pop in the DVD and restart holding "C" down to get into the install DVD, and away we go! Have Fun!:apple:

Help
I accidently put the wrong code in and on pressing enter after typing reset-all

my ibook is in a continuous loop on start up as it tries to access the dvd drive (my leopard dvd is in the drive )
the symptoms are the chime then the dvd drive starts up the laser scans for few seconds then the drive slows down the chime sounds again this continues all the time
Iv,e tried all the normal keycommands resets ie the shift,option,command power button reset , the command option P, R reset and also tried the all the well known resets to reset the computer but to no avail.
Also my dvd won't eject
Any Ideas?

Qianlong

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2004
Running OSX 10.5.1 on my G4 800 QS

Get an image

Clone with CCC -> read & write sparseimage

change permissions (read & write)

use Tinkertool to make invisble files and folders visible

change the OSinstal.mpkg with a moded one

burn the sparseimage using Diskutility

thanks for the Op and all the other posters

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
Help
I accidently put the wrong code in and on pressing enter after typing reset-all

my ibook is in a continuous loop on start up as it tries to access the dvd drive (my leopard dvd is in the drive )
the symptoms are the chime then the dvd drive starts up the laser scans for few seconds then the drive slows down the chime sounds again this continues all the time
Iv,e tried all the normal keycommands resets ie the shift,option,command power button reset , the command option P, R reset and also tried the all the well known resets to reset the computer but to no avail.
Also my dvd won't eject
Any Ideas?

press and hold command+option+R+P till you hear it restart 3 or 4 times. then it should be fine. or try to reset the PMU by holding the button for 30 seconds (if it has one). sorry i could not be of more help i dont know much about iBooks or any Mac laptop

have you tried to go back into open firmware, command+option+O+F and type
reset-nvram (press enter/return)
set-defaults (press enter/return)
reset-all (press enter/return)

that should get rid of that code and return it back to normal.

Brian Deuel

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
no u can't ... u hv to use dvd dl, i think you have 2 options

1. convert dmg to iso then burn it with any PC eqiupped with dvd dl recorder
2. restore(clone) your dmg to a USB HDD and install via target disk mode (hold option key before you turn on your mac)

actually i found out that using TDM is faster than using DVD

Another way to do it is to restore your modified sparseimage onto a slave drive using diskutil and set it as the startup drive. Reboot, and the installer starts. That's the way I did it and it worked like a charm. I did an archive and install, but I don't see why swapping master drives wouldn't work after setting the slave to startup.

Now if I could somehow modify my GF6200 ROM to avoid the bootup delay (2 minutes in my case).

Brian

-----------
PowerMac G4 Gigabyte Ethernet dual 500mhz, 1gig RAM, flashed Geforce 6200 256meg, Mac OS X 10.5.1

alienx

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
Running OSX 10.5.1 on my G4 800 QS

Get an image

Clone with CCC -> read & write sparseimage

change permissions (read & write)

use Tinkertool to make invisible files and folders visible

change the OSinstal.mpkg with a moded one

burn the sparseimage using Diskutility

thanks for the Op and all the other posters

There is no really need for CCC or other software, Disk Utility can do it just fine:

For those who are having problems with permissions trying to delete the file and replace it (using leopard (probably Tiger too):

using the guide already mentioned but creating/editing/replacing the file under Leopard:

Create the Image using Disk Utility as sparseimage as mentioned before.
Mount the image.
Right click on the image and make sure the read/write permissions are correct for you (and everyone).

Now Open a Terminal window.
Using Terminal, browse to where the image was mounted (not the sparseimage but the image).
In order to delete the file you need to "su" to root while on terminal, then use the command:
(if I remember the path correctly, it will be:
/Volumes/<mounted_image -not the sparceimage->/System/Installation/Packages)

#su root
#sudo rm <file_name_to_delete>
and then
#sudo cp <path/file_you_changed> <path/to_the_file_deleted>

Using the 'sudo' command let you delete and replace the repacked OSinstal.mpkg file you changed.

Burn the image (selecting the sparseimage) using Disk Utility as mentioned on the guide.
I have done this with Leopard and Server with no problems.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

Fluffy Lemon

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2007

Thanks for trying to help, but the G4 Just wont work in Target Disk mode. It just tries to boot then swithes itself off.

I also tried SawTooth500 way of making a file called fastG4.txt with all the code in it but when in open firmware mode it says 'unknown word'

Gonna try the original suneohair's way of doing it again, and try to not make too many coasters out of the DVD's. I dont get any errors that way but im stuck on how to burn the sparse image when edited. It wont boot when burnt using toast. Disk Utility wont burn it unless i convert it to a .dmg and when i do that it wont boot up either. :mad:

SawTooth500

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
Florence, Arizona
This was sent to me by a newbie looking for help.::confused::D

Fisk said:
Hi there,
I tried your trick here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/371302/

to pretend that my old iMac has a faster CPU... The problem is that it didn't see the install DVD is is now acting weird on good old tiger.

Could that be traced down to what I did in the open firmware? I'm a complete newbie concerning this.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Greetings from Germany,
Sebastian

Fisk. Most likely it is the commands you entered while in OpenFirmware.

reboot, hold down the Command (the key with the butterfly shaped symble) Option, P and R keys and wait for the boot chime to chime 5 times. this will reset NVRAMRC and everthing else that is listed when you type "printenv" in openfirmware. Back to the original factory settings.

Did you upgrade your firmware? And go ahead and post all this stuff to the forum. There are others that can help, I don't have any experience with the I-Mac.

Any one with experience with the IMac that can help this poor soul?:apple:

SawTooth500

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
Florence, Arizona
Thanks for trying to help, but the G4 Just wont work in Target Disk mode. It just tries to boot then swithes itself off.

I also tried SawTooth500 way of making a file called fastG4.txt with all the code in it but when in open firmware mode it says 'unknown word'

:DI came accross that one some where else. I couldn't get it to work right either. that is why I entered the command into NVRAMRC it's self.
ST500.:apple:
Gonna try the original suneohair's way of doing it again, and try to not make too many coasters out of the DVD's. I dont get any errors that way but im stuck on how to burn the sparse image when edited. It wont boot when burnt using toast. Disk Utility wont burn it unless i convert it to a .dmg and when i do that it wont boot up either. :mad:

You might want to shut down the poor beastie, unplug it from the wall, open it up, and pull the pram battery out. Remember which way it pointed so you can put it back the same way. wait a couple of hours - or do this just before you go to bed for the night- then put the battery back, shut her back up, plug her in, and turn it on. All of your settings will be gone. We all hope it will boot up right after this. Sounds almost like you might have a powersupply problem developing. Hold down the 'C' key and start up with the install disk for your system - 10.4, or 9.1 - and let us know what happens.
:apple:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Thank you for the guide. Managed to install leopard on my aging G4 800 ibook.

Suprisingly though it seems faster than tiger on it :confused:

Dashboard, Expose & Spaces are all flying no problems, the only thing missing is the transparent menu but guess thats no big deal.

So again. Many thanks all.

screen.jpg

bentolila101

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2007
problems on a G5

Sorry, newbie here.
I've tried installing the upgrade on a dual 2Ghz G5 with 2GB RAM running on tiger and got the message that it can't install on this computer ...?!
I've followed all the steps in this post, but can't find any reference to G5's in the distribution file, and I can't begin to guess what the problem might be...
help!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ But all G5's are supported by Leopard - so you should not need to jump through hoops to install the operating system. :confused:

bentolila101

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2007
^ But all G5's are supported by Leopard - so you should not need to jump through hoops to install the operating system. :confused:

This is my confusion...
I tried installing using an upgrade disk and it doesn't allow me to.
Is there any other issue I'm not aware of? are the upgrade disks machine specific?

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
This is my confusion...
I tried installing using an upgrade disk and it doesn't allow me to.
Is there any other issue I'm not aware of? are the upgrade disks machine specific?

I didn't know Leopard had upgrade discs, but yes that is your problem. You need a retail box version of Leopard. It can be installed on any supported (or unsupported if you use these guides) G4 Sawtooth or newer computer.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried this install on a G4 upgraded Pismo? I still have the G3 CPU in mine, but will be upgrading soon and wonder if it'd be worth it to try installing Leopard on it.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried this install on a G4 upgraded Pismo? I still have the G3 CPU in mine, but will be upgrading soon and wonder if it'd be worth it to try installing Leopard on it.

using google would have taken you here

http://lowendmac.com/osx/leopard/unsupported.html

scroll down a bit, and you will see that people has Leopard on G4 upgraded pismo's.

the only issue yopu will run into is the slow video card in the pismo. and Leopard like a fast video card with a bit of vram. and the fact there is no support for that GPU in Leopard, much like my rage pro (6mb vram) in my Beige G3 AIO in tiger

ElGuappo

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2007
Tried the method SawTooth500 provided via the following:

1.) Started up in Firmware mode and set the clock-frequency var
2.) Successfully navigated install options and installed Leopard
3.) On restart I get the startup chime then the computer hangs at the grey apple logo screen with the rotating black pinwheel.
4.) Let this go on for two hours with nothing just sounds like the disk is cycling.
5.) Zapped PRAM, cleaned the clock-frequency var and set everything back to default.
6.) Still hangs at the grey apple logo screen with the rotating black pinwheel.
7.) This was a clean install so the iMac now is dead with a supposed Leopard install on the disk that won't startup.

Any ideas? Any help is much appreciated. I am hesitant to use the alternative disk image method as that will just let me install Leopard which I already achieved via the firmware option (bypass clock-frequency). I suspect I would hit the same result.

FYI: 17" iMac G4 800 mhz Thanks in advance for any help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.