Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
well, i took the plunge and installed Leopard on my DA. i took the HDD out o my Yikes and put it in my DA to test it. it didnt give me any issues what so ever.

fb68

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
I Thin I need a little help.
Everything worked fine. Created the sparseimage with CCC, did the terminal commands, edited Distribution and saved as a new file. But when I try to move this file into the image it says that I can't do this cause there isn't enough space. Tried almost everything, changed permissions and so on.... without success.
Any hints?

EDIT: I'm doing all this on an Macbook running Leopard. Does that matter?

Thx from germany,
Frank

liberty4all

Jan 7, 2007
Ok, when you take those first few lines out, let us know if it then works...

what do you think a Yikes G4 is, its just a B&W with a G4 CPU and the ADB port removed in a different color case. it refused to boot the Leopard install disk i modded. but booted just fine on my DA. i should have took that first few lines out.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
Ok, when you take those first few lines out, let us know if it then works...

well i just installed Leopard on my DA using the HDD from the Yikes G4 and leopard runs nice on my DA, as a test i put the HDD that i installed Leopard to back into the Yikes just to see what it would do, guess what, it went into verbose mode KPed every-time the wheel below the Apple came up. i tryed to boot it in safe mode, and got the same results.

i used it for a wile on the DA posting around at a few forums and didn't have any issues, my system has a GF2MX for its video card (i seen reports of the GF2MX having issues ), i put the system into deep sleep and woke it back up with no issues, allowed the system to go to sleep and woke it up with no issues.

here is what it gave me

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x0036C4F0): " unable to find driver for this platform: \'PowerMac1,2\".\n'/sourcecache/xnu/xnu-1228-iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:378
Latest stack backtrace for cpu 0:
backtrace 0x0009AD18 0x000986BC 0x00029DC4 0x0036C4F0 0x00341D14 0x00342E68 0x00344D18

and the rest i could not see cause of the KP message. it seems that since the Yikes G4 has the same mobo as the B&W, and leopard don't have the proper drivers for this system.

now what can be done, is if the maker of xpostfact makes another version to make Leopard run on a G4 upgraded G3 system or lower. cause there is no chance leopard will work on a G3 system since everything is built to require Altvec. the Yikes ( as one can say) got screwed by Apple for using the same mobo as the B&W G3. and i think this will be the only way a G4 upgraded G3 system will ever see Leopard.
so i guess that answers both of our questions

EDIT
i forgot to add, the only issue that i ran into was in disk utility when trying to repair permissions. when i tried to it just sits there doing nothing at all. i rebooted and tried again and it did the same thing. i tried about 1o times to get disk utility to repair permissions with the same result. seems as tho i found a bug

walscobry

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
Sawtooth AGP G4 KP!

I created modified DVD, it boots my dual G5 just fine but it KPs my AGP G4 instantly.

G4 is sawtooth AGP 400 OCed to 500mhz, 1.25GB ram, apple nvidia gf2 32MB video. BTW this G4 has been OCed for years, on 24/7. I must have gotten lucky from what I read about OCing 400mhz cpu cards.

error is:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x0036c4f0): "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"PowerMac3,1\" ...

Anyone else with sawtooth g4 have any comments?

delrayg4

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
Worked flawlessly, first time through. Thanks for the write up.

Attachments

• screenshot_01.jpg
    screenshot_01.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 147

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
Great, but what changes did you make to this file? What Mhz? Should be 400 Mhz and up, as that was the first non-Yikes G4...

TIA

yea that dont sound right, something else has to be wrong cause if done right a AGP mac should be the easiest non supported Mac under 867mhz to get working. i can understand about my Yikes G4 but not a AGP Mac

I wonder what walscobry did edit, and what the cpu speed block was set to. cause obviously it worked for all of us, i didn't have any issues with my GF2MX as allot of people reported as having allot of issues

Brian Deuel

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
I successfully installed Leopard by following the procedure outlined here, and then restoring the modified image to a spare 20 gig drive. I'm now playing around with it for the next few days before I decide to install it on my main drive.

Attachments

• about.jpg
    about.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 184

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
I successfully installed Leopard by following the procedure outlined here, and then restoring the modified image to a spare 20 gig drive. I'm now playing around with it for the next few days before I decide to install it on my main drive.

it don't run to hateful does it. it is rather slow at first cause its indexing the HDD, but after it was done it seems rather nice to toy around in

has anyone tried to repair permissions in disk utility yet, cause that function seems not working

Evolve

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
I have a Gigabit Ethernet model Power Mac G4 (powermac3,3) and suffer from a the problem. I've been trying to get OS 9 to boot so I can perform the firmware upgrade, as I'm running the older version (3.34.1f or something similar). I'm not 100 percent sure this is the likely cause, but it's one of the few things left I've got to try before I throw in the towel. :'( :p

walscobry

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
Some More info on my AGP KP

First, for the edit I changed all three 'return false;' statements to 'return true;' for the CPU, machine and memory size tests. This modded install DVD works on my 2xG5 (4GB) and a PB G4 1.33 (512MB).

The machine was a stock Sawtooth AGP G4 400mhz, a few years back I changed the resistor block on CPU card to set the speed to 500mhz. (5x100mhz). The rage 128 was replaced with gf2 pulled from another mac and is *not* a flashed card. Memory is 1.25GB in the form of 1 512MB and 3 256MB sticks. I still have the rage card and I taped the spare resistor to the inside of the case so I guess I could undo it but...

I have not upgraded firmware in this machine for fear of disabling non-apple RAM if anyone remembers that fiasco.

Also since I last posted I attempted to install via Firewire Target Disk Mode from the PB G4 1.33. I tried 3 times and if failed on each try at a different pkg I think it was mail.pkg the final time with only 11 minutes to go after a 1.5 hour install. This was with the original install DVD.

Next using the PB G4 again, I installed directly to a different hard disk in a Firewire case that I then put into the G4 AGP internally, instant KP. Took the drive back out, put back into Firewire case and booted the PB with it...ARGH!

So it KPs with the install DVD and it KPs with a pre-installed system with the same error.

I'm down to thinking it is the firmware or the OCed CPU card that is the trouble, either way I have been messing with LEO on the G5 and so far I have nothing positive to say about it. I seems to me to be the biggest piece of spyware ever. Built-in screen sharing and automated indexes of all my stuff behind a firewall the decides on its own who to let in from the internet...um scary scary stuff.

I guess that steve *needs* to know, anyway have a Happy Halloween everyone!

Brian Deuel

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
it don't run to hateful does it. it is rather slow at first cause its indexing the HDD, but after it was done it seems rather nice to toy around in

has anyone tried to repair permissions in disk utility yet, cause that function seems not working

It's not too bad, although my Geforce 6200 won't allow it to boot, so I put my old Geforce2 back in for now. As with Tiger; with the Geforce2, things don't feel as snappy as they should. But it's definitely fun to tool around in, and not dog slow as I had feared. In fact, Leopard is quite useable on this old machine. Don't know why it hates the 6200 though.

I've got to put it through her paces for the next few days before I can report anything definitive.

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
Here is what I've been through. First, I have an upgraded Digital Audio 533 that is at 1.4 Ghz. I have Tiger installed. I have four internal hard drives. I found that Leopard is not supported for my machine so I did not buy it (yet). I wanted to see if buying it and using it was feasible, so I got an illegal copy of Leopard off a torrent. It was too big for a single layer DVD, so I then had to dupe the disc image using Disk Utility and made the target a sparse image. Then, I opened TinkerTool and told it to make invisible files visible. Then I deleted all the foreign languages and the x11 and Xcode stuff and then duped that into another sparse image in Disk Utility. It was now small enough to fit on a DVD. I tried to burn it in Disk Utility but it did not burn (it hung for over an hour). I then rebooted and burned it in Toast 5.2.3. It seemed to burn fine, but the resulting DVD would not mount. Nevertheless, the information was on the DVD. I tried to reboot with the DVD, which it did eventually (VERY slow boot up). It reported that it the OS was not supported on my machine and would I like to restart. I had to go back and reburn the same disc image again. I had to first change out the OSInstall.mpkg file to one that would install on my old Mac. [NOTE: this seems to confirm that an upgraded but unsupported machine will NOT install Leopard straight off the original install disc] I then tried to restart again from the newly-burned DVD.

Up came the Leopard space shot screen. The installer came up eventually. The install failed however because it said that things it needed to install were missing on the disc.

Next, I tried a more direct approach: boot into Tiger on my normal startup disk, and mount the original Leopard disc image. Then, I opened OSInstall.mpkg with Pacifist 2.5.1. I then went to the menu item which says to install to another drive and I picked my duped backup drive which also has Tiger on it. I hit install and waited for a few hours. Then, when it finished, I went to Startup Disk and selected my newly installed Leopard installation and restarted. It first went to a blank grey screen for several minutes and then to the grey screen with the apple and the circling bars. It has been at that screen for at least thirty minutes and I'm still waiting to see what happens. If I get it working right I may buy Leopard, but all my apps and such will have to work before I do it. As of now Tiger is working great and I'm happy with it.

I'll update with further info as it happens.

PS: I also found an alternate OSInstall.mpkg file already edited here:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/r0/...2c6f2be47c4b7280666aff6/NewOSInstall.mpkg.zip

sah

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
Sawtooth with Dual 500Mhz?

I have a Sawtooth that I have installed a dual 500Mhz CPU from another apple in. When I boot the install DVD I get the kernel panic and the "No driver for this platform PowerMac3,1" (not exact msg) error. What I am trying to find out is if this is just because of the CPU being less then 876Mhz or is the installer confused by the Dual CPU in the Sawtooth? I find it very strange that Apple would make the boot CD kernel panic vs. just having a nice msg telling you that this platform is unsupported.

Thanks for any information!

Oh, with regards to making the DVD image. I used CCC to make an image and also ran into the issue of being told there is not enough space to move the file over. It seems that the re-xar'd file is bigger then the original. Anyone know why that is?

eschw95458

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
Yikes

Madmax Are you running an upgraded zif in your yikes? I have been trying to get mine to load also with no luck I get the kp.

Yikes! g4
Sonnet 1ghz
768 mem
Radeon 7200

serenadedfs

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
Hi!

I'm also having the suspend/wake issue on an Imac G4 800mhz. If anyone found a fix for it, please post it :)

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
Madmax Are you running an upgraded zif in your yikes? I have been trying to get mine to load also with no luck I get the kp.

Yikes! g4
Sonnet 1ghz
768 mem
Radeon 7200

when it KP before Leopard even loaded it was saying that it cant find the drivers fir the system. My Yikes is at the stock speed 400mhz.

Here is what I've been through. First, I have an upgraded Digital Audio 533 that is at 1.4 Ghz. I have Tiger installed. I have four internal hard drives. I found that Leopard is not supported for my machine so I did not buy it (yet). I wanted to see if buying it and using it was feasible, so I got an illegal copy of Leopard off a torrent. It was too big for a single layer DVD, so I then had to dupe the disc image using Disk Utility and made the target a sparse image. Then, I opened TinkerTool and told it to make invisible files visible. Then I deleted all the foreign languages and the x11 and Xcode stuff and then duped that into another sparse image in Disk Utility. It was now small enough to fit on a DVD. I tried to burn it in Disk Utility but it did not burn (it hung for over and hour). I then rebooted and burned it in Toast 5.2.3. It seemed to burn fine, but the resulting DVD would not mount. Nevertheless, the information was on the DVD. I tried to reboot with the DVD, which it did eventually (VERY slow boot up). It reported that it the OS was not supported on my machine and would I like to restart. I had to go back and reburn the same disc image again. I had to first change out the OSInstall.mpkg file to one that would install on my old Mac. [NOTE: this seems to confirm that an upgraded but unsupported machine will NOT install Leopard straight off the original install disc] I then tried to restart again from the newly-burned DVD.

Up came the Leopard space shot screen. The installer came up eventually. The install failed however because it said that things it needed to install were missing on the disc.

Next, I tried a more direct approach: boot into Tiger on my normal startup disk, and mount the original Leopard disc image. Then, I opened OSInstall.mpkg with Pacifist 2.5.1. I then went to the menu item which says to install to another drive and I picked my duped backup drive which also has Tiger on it. I hit install and waited for a few hours. Then, when it finished, I went to Startup Disk and selected my newly installed Leopard installation and restarted. It first went to a blank grey screen for several minutes and then to the grey screen with the apple and the circling bars. It has been at that screen for at least thirty minutes and I'm still waiting to see what happens. If I get it working right I may buy Leopard, but all my apps and such will have to work before I do it. As of now Tiger is working great and I'm happy with it.

I'll update with further info as it happens.

PS: I also found an alternate OSInstall.mpkg file already edited here:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/r0/...2c6f2be47c4b7280666aff6/NewOSInstall.mpkg.zip

what you experienced with the 6200 installed was the boot freeze, if you would have let it sit there for 2 - 6 minutes it would have continued, i dont know if its a bug or driver issue or what. but try again with the 6200 installed and let it sit there for a few minutes

eschw95458

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
Re Yikes

Thanks thats what I needed to know, I had thought about pulling the 1ghz and putting the stock g4 back in to make sure it wasn't the upgrade, BBBUUUUT, since yours is already stock there is no point. Also just for fun I tried XPF on my beige DT (which has a 450 mhz g4 ) same deal say kp no drivers for platform:(

chzsteakguy

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
successful install

i got leopard running on a Quicksilver G4 733. Everything is going great. Although i have noticed that the menu bar is not translucent like it is on my MacBook. Anyone know why?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.