Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davg

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2015
OS X Extractor v1.2 Beta 5
Here is OS X Extractor v1.2 Beta 5. It is for Developers and people who can diagnose their Macs if something goes wrong.

This update includes:
• Fixed File Checksum Error
• Refreshed GMA 950 and X3100 Kexts
• Dock Glass Effect Manager added.
• Slight adjustments to OpenGL Beta Patches
• Kexts for iSight camera, Graphics Power Management, and SMB sharing

Other Features:
• Fixed the JavaScript Error that was previously shown in Beta 1
• OpenGL Beta Patches for Developers Only (You have been warned if you decide to use these).
• Ability choose which version of OS X they want patches for (Yosemite, Mavericks, or Mountain Lion)
• Supports French Language.
• Now better detects whether your Mac meets the requirements as stated in Post 1.
• Includes Kexts for Bluetooth
• Mountain Lion AutoPatcher Beta (May not work on some models)
• LeopardAssist for 10.5
• Improvements to OS X Mountain Lion AutoInstaller

Coming soon in the next Build(s):
• BootCamp Patch for Windows 8

Developer Focus Areas:
• Photos for Mac if installing 10.10.3
• General Reliability
• OpenGL Framework
• Wifi/Bluetooth Connectivity Issues
• File Sharing Issues

Download Size: 261 MB

Download Link (Compiling. . .)

External Link (Mega)

https://mega.co.nz/#!HUBEjQDT!Jwkr8EmAwUtE-VDs6HbhTlJLeR80yVNIUwNAWp5wAQs

Beta 2 is now considered a stable release on the site and post 1. OS X Patcher Beta 1 (automated installer) should come later this week

----------

When you have a complete or close to complete working installation can you list the computer you installed it on. It helps as some comps seem to work better than others. I'll try a 10.3 install as that may speed up my networking/file sharing. On 10.5 AFP is a little slow to connect to.Wifi is fine though.

As for imessage thats a known issue. I had to call apple and give them the code that imessage gives you when you try to connect with your apple account.

Cheers

External Link (Mega)

https://mega.co.nz/#!HUBEjQDT!Jwkr8E...VNIUwNAWp5wAQs

Beta 2 is now considered a stable release on the site and post 1. OS X Patcher Beta 1 (automated installer) should come later this week

How do one use these Patcher Beta??

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR

OS X Extractor v1.2 Beta 5
Here is OS X Extractor v1.2 Beta 5. It is for Developers and people who can diagnose their Macs if something goes wrong.

This update includes:
• Fixed File Checksum Error
• Refreshed GMA 950 and X3100 Kexts
• Dock Glass Effect Manager added.
• Slight adjustments to OpenGL Beta Patches
• Kexts for iSight camera, Graphics Power Management, and SMB sharing

Other Features:
• Fixed the JavaScript Error that was previously shown in Beta 1
• OpenGL Beta Patches for Developers Only (You have been warned if you decide to use these).
• Ability choose which version of OS X they want patches for (Yosemite, Mavericks, or Mountain Lion)
• Supports French Language.
• Now better detects whether your Mac meets the requirements as stated in Post 1.
• Includes Kexts for Bluetooth
• Mountain Lion AutoPatcher Beta (May not work on some models)
• LeopardAssist for 10.5
• Improvements to OS X Mountain Lion AutoInstaller

Coming soon in the next Build(s):
• BootCamp Patch for Windows 8

Developer Focus Areas:
• Photos for Mac if installing 10.10.3
• General Reliability
• OpenGL Framework
• Wifi/Bluetooth Connectivity Issues
• File Sharing Issues

Download Size: 261 MB

Download Link (Compiling. . .)

External Link (Mega)

https://mega.co.nz/#!HUBEjQDT!Jwkr8EmAwUtE-VDs6HbhTlJLeR80yVNIUwNAWp5wAQs

----------

When you have a complete or close to complete working installation can you list the computer you installed it on. It helps as some comps seem to work better than others. I'll try a 10.3 install as that may speed up my networking/file sharing. On 10.5 AFP is a little slow to connect to.Wifi is fine though.

As for imessage thats a known issue. I had to call apple and give them the code that imessage gives you when you try to connect with your apple account.

Cheers

I did the install on a late 2006 iMac 5,1.

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
connection failed

Thanks pgfif I am running 10.8.4 with mlpostfactor and just can't get file share to work?? Neither can i get any macpostfactor installer to boot but I did not try 10.8.3 using macpostfactor?? On 10.8.4 my desktop computer that I uses as a server show up on the network but when I try to access it I get a connection failed??

I had some trouble with file sharing until set up sharing in the SHARING control preference on all of the computers in the network.

davg

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2015
I had some trouble with file sharing until set up sharing in the SHARING control preference on all of the computers in the network.
Ya I tried all the share settings in preference still no go? I had no problem in 10.7 but 10.8.4 don't seem to work?? I am waiting for Macpostfactor release to try Mavericks hope something will come soon. With the present version no problem to build the installer but I just can't get any of them to boot to the installer?? I tried ML and Mavericks

----------

Thanks for the info I read through the posts. Mountain lion runs fine for me using MACPOSTFACTOR the issue is filesharing and my having to toggle WIFI for it to work properly.
So you have gotten macpostfactor to install??

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
Ya I tried all the share settings in preference still no go? I had no problem in 10.7 but 10.8.4 don't seem to work?? I am waiting for Macpostfactor release to try Mavericks hope something will come soon. With the present version no problem to build the installer but I just can't get any of them to boot to the installer?? I tried ML and Mavericks

----------

yes, I had no problem with my macpostfactor install. I created the installer on Yosemite tho and used and external usb stick. I read somewhere that you need to be on lion to create an installer, not sure if that's true tho. There is an updated version of OSEXTRACTOR on OSXHACKERS that came out a day ago. Try that it's a couple of posts up.

Cheers

Last edited:

davg

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2015
yes, I had no problem with my macpostfactor install. I created the installer on Yosemite tho and used and external usb stick. I read somewhere that you need to be on lion to create an installer, not sure if that's true tho. There is an updated version of OSEXTRACTOR on OSXHACKERS that came out a day ago. Try that it's a couple of posts up.

Cheers
Thanks again sumer I downloaded that file but I am not sure how to use it. I extracted the file tried to install the software but it fails? which files inside the package to you install?

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
Thanks again sumer I downloaded that file but I am not sure how to use it. I extracted the file tried to install the software but it fails? which files inside the package to you install?

what os are you using? it's better if you start on lion. Then you choose the patches (ML. mavericks, etc) for the OS you want install. I'll fool around with it later on report back.

Cheers

davg

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2015
what os are you using? it's better if you start on lion. Then you choose the patches (ML. mavericks, etc) for the OS you want install. I'll fool around with it later on report back.

Cheers
I'm running ML 10.8.4 I wanted to run mavericks and later try yosemite but just no luck with macpostfactor?? I installed the new software but when I run it I get a blank screen whats up with that. How is the patches applied?? Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
can't connect

----------

When I tried to connect but couldn't, I opened the "Connect As" choice and made sure the destination computers user name and password was there.

Last edited:

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
I'm running ML 10.8.4 I wanted to run mavericks and later try yosemite but just no luck with macpostfactor?? I installed the new software but when I run it I get a blank screen whats up with that. How is the patches applied?? Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

You've gotten further than me. When Install or at least try to install The osx extractor app I get install failed-Thats when I check mountain lion auto patcher option. When I just install the open GL patches the install is successful but when I launch the app it crashes. I'll just wait for an update to MPF.

----------

Am I the only one who can't install ML because of an ad that won't go away?

What version of OS X are you using? My laptop has Yosemite that runs natively no hack and I created the installer from there (to an external usb) adfly never showed up at all. I did notice when I tried to make another installer from the unsupported mac running mountain lion and my laptop with a lion partion it was giving me the adfly loop. I know there is a bug that affects some computers.

Cheers

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
farewell

I'm giving up on trying to install ML since I am unable to get past "ad fly" on MPF. I'm not going to use the other method of installation.

davg

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2015
I'm giving up on trying to install ML since I am unable to get past "ad fly" on MPF. I'm not going to use the other method of installation.
I've gotten past the ad fly just by persistence I think because I don't remember doing anything other then try and wait?? having said that it did not work for me because it will not boot to the installer so it is not working anyway at least not on the macbook 4,1 early 2008? ML with MLPF is quite easy but file share the one thing I needed most is not working so I've gone back to Lion. I am not optimistic that the dev will do any more work on ml and from what I read there are a lot of issues with Mavericks and Yosemite So I'm with you at least for now. I will keep watching to see what happens???

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
Update

I've gotten past the ad fly just by persistence I think because I don't remember doing anything other then try and wait?? having said that it did not work for me because it will not boot to the installer so it is not working anyway at least not on the macbook 4,1 early 2008? ML with MLPF is quite easy but file share the one thing I needed most is not working so I've gone back to Lion. I am not optimistic that the dev will do any more work on ml and from what I read there are a lot of issues with Mavericks and Yosemite So I'm with you at least for now. I will keep watching to see what happens???

Some Info regarding progress and development

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20879114/

"OS X Extractor will get one last Beta before final on Friday so we can clean some things up, fix some X1600 issues and pull it out of debugging. Thanks for the PMs and bug reports. It really helped.
OSXPatcher Beta 1 will come tomorrow with full release notes including shell scripts and what we did inside the package for developers. OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Mavericks (10.9.5), or OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5) can be optionally downloaded during the installation process. Internet Connection is required!
I can promise you that it may not work for most of you and are extremely at risk if you test it out. We just need the data from error logs.

OpenGL Beta Frameworks will not be in this Beta yet."

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
sorry, I've went out of updates for a while, what macs are supported? how much "better" are those new gma kexts?

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
finally

After many attempts with MPF and 3 trys with MLPF I have a working install of 10.8.3. The only thing that doesn't work is Wifi, my WPA password is not accepted, so I have to use Internet Sharing.

Marcool

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2015
Fixing "no mountable file system" errors

Hi all,
I thought I would share here my method for fixing the "no mountable file system" error some users reported way back when having installed Mountain Lion through the MLPostfactor hack.
I have followed the above method, using MLPostfactor v0.3, and installed Mountain Lion 10.8.5 on a MacBook Core 2 Duo, late 2008 (more prosaically know as the Macbook 4,1).
All seems to function properly, including things that are said to be problematic like iSight (which works fine), sleep on laptop close (also fine), graphics and so on...
The one problem I was having, was when trying to mount .dmg, .iso or other disk images, I would get a "no mountable file system" error. This thread shows other users had experienced such issues with the hacked version of MLPostfactor.
Here is my fix, with as much explanation as I can give.

First, I noticed the following error in syslog.log:
Code:
com.apple.kextd[12]: Request from non-root process 'netbiosd' (euid 222) to load /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext - not allowed.
This was fixed by adding to the kext's Info.plist file, namely /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/Info.plist the following code allowing non root users to load the extension:
Code:
<key>OSBundleAllowUserLoad</key>
<true/>
This should be inserted inside the main <dict> tags which are inside the <plist> tags.

Next I noticed the following error when trying to mount the disc image itself:
Code:
com.apple.kextd[12]: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/cd9660.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.
This, I would think, is a 32 bit vs 64 bit issue. In any case, in order to fix the issue the same extension with code for a different architecture was required. I just so happened to still have the files from my previous installation of Mac OS X (which was 10.6.8, Snow Leopard). I copied the cd9660.kext file from that version of mac, noticed it was almost twice as large as the one in ML, and so inferred it might contain the code needed to run on this machine.
I made a backup of the old extension with the following at the command prompt:
Code:
#cd /System/Library/Extensions/
#sudo mkdir cd9660.kext.BAK/
#sudo cp -R ./cd9660.kext/* ./cd9660.kext.BAK
Then used kext helper to install the "old" cd9660.kext.
The machine needed rebooting at this point.

On reboot, one error still remained, similar to the one dealt with previously: in file /System/Library/Extensions/cd9660.kext/Contents/Info.plist it was necessary to add the code for allowing non root users to load the extension:
Code:
<true/>

This done, without restart, all previously un-mountable disk images worked.
No further error messages were output to syslog. I guess that does it.
I'm not sure to what extent it's portable, but I will attach the kext file from Snow Leopard if somebody needs it. It could probably also be found inside the install .pkg on a pre Mountain Lion version of Mac OS X installer.

Hope this helps.
Regards.
Marcool.

Attachments

• cd9660.kext_from_snow_leopard.zip
    44.3 KB · Views: 123

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
Hi all,
I thought I would share here my method for fixing the "no mountable file system" error some users reported way back when having installed Mountain Lion through the MLPostfactor hack.
I have followed the above method, using MLPostfactor v0.3, and installed Mountain Lion 10.8.5 on a MacBook Core 2 Duo, late 2008 (more prosaically know as the Macbook 4,1).
All seems to function properly, including things that are said to be problematic like iSight (which works fine), sleep on laptop close (also fine), graphics and so on...
The one problem I was having, was when trying to mount .dmg, .iso or other disk images, I would get a "no mountable file system" error. This thread shows other users had experienced such issues with the hacked version of MLPostfactor.
Here is my fix, with as much explanation as I can give.

First, I noticed the following error in syslog.log:
Code:
com.apple.kextd[12]: Request from non-root process 'netbiosd' (euid 222) to load /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext - not allowed.
This was fixed by adding to the kext's Info.plist file, namely /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/Info.plist the following code allowing non root users to load the extension:
Code:
<true/>
This should be inserted inside the main <dict> tags which are inside the <plist> tags.

Next I noticed the following error when trying to mount the disc image itself:
Code:
com.apple.kextd[12]: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/cd9660.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.
This, I would think, is a 32 bit vs 64 bit issue. In any case, in order to fix the issue the same extension with code for a different architecture was required. I just so happened to still have the files from my previous installation of Mac OS X (which was 10.6.8, Snow Leopard). I copied the cd9660.kext file from that version of mac, noticed it was almost twice as large as the one in ML, and so inferred it might contain the code needed to run on this machine.
I made a backup of the old extension with the following at the command prompt:
Code:
#cd /System/Library/Extensions/
#sudo mkdir cd9660.kext.BAK/
#sudo cp -R ./cd9660.kext/* ./cd9660.kext.BAK
Then used kext helper to install the "old" cd9660.kext.
The machine needed rebooting at this point.

On reboot, one error still remained, similar to the one dealt with previously: in file /System/Library/Extensions/cd9660.kext/Contents/Info.plist it was necessary to add the code for allowing non root users to load the extension:
Code:
<true/>

This done, without restart, all previously un-mountable disk images worked.
No further error messages were output to syslog. I guess that does it.
I'm not sure to what extent it's portable, but I will attach the kext file from Snow Leopard if somebody needs it. It could probably also be found inside the install .pkg on a pre Mountain Lion version of Mac OS X installer.

Hope this helps.
Regards.
Marcool.

Thanks for the info on the unmountable disk images problem. I sometimes had that issue with MPF and was using daemon tools to mount the stubborn ones.

cheers

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
After many attempts with MPF and 3 trys with MLPF I have a working install of 10.8.3. The only thing that doesn't work is Wifi, my WPA password is not accepted, so I have to use Internet Sharing.

So what method worked MPF or MLPF? just curious why you used 10.8.3 instead of 10.8.5. Did you set up WPA2 password in internet sharing?

Try deleted the wifi network in system prefs and create a new one with a new name like wifi 1. Wifi didn't work form me with MLPF.

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
Why?

So what method worked MPF or MLPF? just curious why you used 10.8.3 instead of 10.8.5. Did you set up WPA2 password in internet sharing?

Try deleted the wifi network in system prefs and create a new one with a new name like wifi 1. Wifi didn't work form me with MLPF.

MLPF worked after a few tries. I used 10.8.3 instead of 10.8.5 because that's what I had. 10.8.5 was really unstable when I did install it. I didn't set up password for internet sharing. If I decide to go to 5 I have Tiamos boot.efi so it won't be too hard.

Last edited:

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
upgrade to 10.8.5

MLPF worked after a few tries. I used 10.8.3 instead of 10.8.5 because that's what I had. 10.8.5 was really unstable when I did install it. I didn't set up password for internet sharing. If I decide to go to 5 I have Tiamos boot.efi so it won't be too hard.

I went up to 5 and found it to be virtually useless. Nothing worked and the screen tearing was awful. Back to 10.8.3 for me.

davg

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2015

MLPF that I have will not make an installer for 10.8.5 only up to 10.8.4 is there a newer version? How do you use Tiamos boot.efi? I was hoping to try 10.8.5 just to see if file share was working?? What did you use to install 10.8.5? and did you by any chance try file share?

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
MLPF that I have will not make an installer for 10.8.5 only up to 10.8.4 is there a newer version? How do you use Tiamos boot.efi? I was hoping to try 10.8.5 just to see if file share was working?? What did you use to install 10.8.5? and did you by any chance try file share?

Even tho the installer says it patches up to 8.4 it will patch 8.5. When i used MLPF filesharing with 10.8.5 it worked fine the issue was wifi for me. With different systems it seems that some things work better than others. Mine being a macpro 1.1.

I'm curious to try 10.8.3 but I can't seem to find it and i've also read that some people had issues with that build.

The Tiamo boot EFI is whats being used in SFOTT I believe. It's discussed in the Yosemite on unsupported macs forum.

A new update/ app to help install on unsupported macs is coming this Friday or on the weekend.

P.S there's also pikers method I think it'll work for ML. You can choose either the grey or black EFI boot screen:)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1740775/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.