Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Srico

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
Can anyone please specify what exactly are the brightness/sleeping issues with the X3100?
The mac will not wake up when put in sleep, and brightness wont change. Plus flash player would not work, but Hackerwayne should get these fixed :cool:

SchlomoGoldberg

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Do not update iTunes 11

Hallo, everyone, again.

Bad news for my MacBook Late 2007 w. ML. I updated it to the brand new iTunes 11, and now, i cannot play any video through Safari [ Youtube, Vimeo, and many others ].

I cannot play the videos in my computer with Quicktime Player too, and Quicklook doesn't function either...

Perhaps with the future 10.8.3, focused in graphics implementations would repair itself... No idea.

Any feedback?

So, be aware!

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Goodday,

I being following this guide but still failed to install Mountain Lion to my Macbook 2008.

When i try restart, press OPTION. It just show white screen and not able to run installation.

Please help me.

HOLD down Option until the menu comes up.

----------

Hallo, everyone, again.

Bad news for my MacBook Late 2007 w. ML. I updated it to the brand new iTunes 11, and now, i cannot play any video through Safari [ Youtube, Vimeo, and many others ].

I cannot play the videos in my computer with Quicktime Player too, and Quicklook doesn't function either...

Perhaps with the future 10.8.3, focused in graphics implementations would repair itself... No idea.

Any feedback?

So, be aware!

I found out that Apple has sort of blocked the use of 10.6.2's X3100 kexts, ill investigate further into that

----------

Hello everybody,

this is a very great guide, although having a MacBook4,1 with X3100 doesn't seem to be an advantage :(

I'm curious if instead of installing the whole system it is possible to install some parts of it on Lion, like: Messages, Reminders and Notes.

Any clue about that?

Im working on that, but ML includes a new file system (ZFS) thats important, notes reminders messages arent that important anyway.

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
10.8.3 problems

I just installed 10.8.3 over 10.8.2 and got the prohibition sign when I rebooted. I expected that so I rebooted into Lion and replaced the boot_efi and Platform Support.plist with known working files. Now the ML partition doesn't show up as bootable.
What am I overlooking?
Thanks.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Im working on that, but ML includes a new file system (ZFS) thats important, notes reminders messages arent that important anyway.

Huh? Mountain Lion doesn't use a new file system (ZFS). It still uses the still file system the Lion uses (as well as 10.6). You can download ZFS (from a 3 party site) and format to that file system, but it's not using it out of the box.

Hugh

SchlomoGoldberg

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Thx

Thanks, Hackerwayne.

I got some problems w. sound. It is disabled too.

Some time ago, i got the same problem, but that was due to some sort
of hardware problem, which activates the optical output, and stayed always
on [ red light ]. Not all the time, but oft.

Now, no light for the optical output, so i don't know where it came from.

Thanks for your patience,

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
I need to re-download Mountain Lion from an unsupported MacBook Pro, to be able to create a USB installer.
This will be used to install ML on a newer MBP that I don't have yet.

The Mac App Store won't let me do this though: says I'm running an unsupported Mac.

Anyway around this?

I've tried editing SystemVersion.plist with no luck.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I just installed 10.8.3 over 10.8.2 and got the prohibition sign when I rebooted. I expected that so I rebooted into Lion and replaced the boot_efi and Platform Support.plist with known working files. Now the ML partition doesn't show up as bootable.
What am I overlooking?
Thanks.

Fix permission in Single User Mode

----------

I need to re-download Mountain Lion from an unsupported MacBook Pro, to be able to create a USB installer.
This will be used to install ML on a newer MBP that I don't have yet.

The Mac App Store won't let me do this though: says I'm running an unsupported Mac.

Anyway around this?

I've tried editing SystemVersion.plist with no luck.

Install Parallel 8 (trial) then install Lion and download ML from there

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Install Parallel 8 (trial) then install Lion and download ML from there

Many thanks, this worked.
I tried using my existing VirtualBox but it won't boot the Lion installer without a lot of hacking.
So I installed VMWare Fusion 5 trial & it worked straight off the bat.

johnericsutton

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
So did I on the 8th to bring the total above $300. Please update your donation total hackerwayne!

I'd like to make a contribution to the Macbook4,1 project but I don't understand how to do that! Presumably there is a paypal link somwhere, or similar?

Thanks

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
just sent 25$ for macbook.

List updated.

----------

So did I on the 8th to bring the total above $300. Please update your donation total hackerwayne!

I update the list by monthly basis, not daily or weekly basis. Hope you understand. Ive refunded your $25 because a dispute was filed.

----------

I'd like to make a contribution to the Macbook4,1 project but I don't understand how to do that! Presumably there is a paypal link somwhere, or similar?

Thanks

Donation received and list updated. Please let me know if anyone don't wish to reveal their full name or wish to use a nickname/forum name instead.

----------

Huh? Mountain Lion doesn't use a new file system (ZFS). It still uses the still file system the Lion uses (as well as 10.6). You can download ZFS (from a 3 party site) and format to that file system, but it's not using it out of the box.

Hugh

Sry, my bad, mistakenly though ZFS was included in 10.8 *facepalm*

Nemesis19

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2010
List updated.

Sry, my bad, mistakenly though ZFS was included in 10.8 *facepalm*

So maybe because there is not ZFS, the file system is not important as before :), Messages, Notes, Reminders are more important now? ;):p

In the end, they are very day-to-day app useful for tons of people...

keep going with the great job anyway!

Domeleven

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
I update the list by monthly basis, not daily or weekly basis. Hope you understand. Ive refunded your $25 because a dispute was filed.

It wasn't clear how often the total was updated, and I assumed it'd be on a per donation basis. Apologies for the misunderstanding, I've reinstated the donation. Now you can get rid of that big red highlight and put a disclaimer on the bottom of the post instead! :D

wisehaus

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2008
Problem installing on MacBook Pro 2.33 Core2Duo 17in

Hi All,

Has anyone had success installing Mountain Lion on one of these:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.33-17-specs.html

I've made several attempts now following the instructions here as well as using the iUTA0b2 distribution, but with no success. Using the iUTA distribution, I made it through the install process and updating of PlatformSupport.plist only to have things hang during the boot process.

Anyone else been successful? Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
So maybe because there is not ZFS, the file system is not important as before :), Messages, Notes, Reminders are more important now? ;):p

In the end, they are very day-to-day app useful for tons of people...

keep going with the great job anyway!

yep.. Ill look into that

----------

Hi All,

Has anyone had success installing Mountain Lion on one of these:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.33-17-specs.html

I've made several attempts now following the instructions here as well as using the iUTA0b2 distribution, but with no success. Using the iUTA distribution, I made it through the install process and updating of PlatformSupport.plist only to have things hang during the boot process.

Anyone else been successful? Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Yes its possible, not sure about 10.8.2. But you will have no acceleration whatsoever.

----------

It wasn't clear how often the total was updated, and I assumed it'd be on a per donation basis. Apologies for the misunderstanding, I've reinstated the donation. Now you can get rid of that big red highlight and put a disclaimer on the bottom of the post instead! :D

I made sure this time it was updated right away lol.. Anyway, thanks for the donation :)

Domeleven

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
I made sure this time it was updated right away lol.. Anyway, thanks for the donation :)

Haha, now my name's on there twice, looks like I donated $50 altogether!

No worries, $25 is much much cheaper than forking out money on a new Mac so I can have the privilege of running Mountain Lion on a machine that has more horsepower to run the new resource intensive apps, unlike my MacBook 4,1 :) .... Which leads me onto an app name suggestion: Mac Unobsolete!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.