Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Yes, its a completely different OS "hardware" system.

Just sign in with your Apple ID/Passwd and download it.

Stupid Q but how do you actually install Lion on it?
Assuming you only have an ML install but do have both App Store Installers, when you choose 'New virtual machine', I get the following......
2hdz8cz.png

So I click + and am presented with........
35at2j5.png
So anybody know what's next, (by the way I don't have the recovery option available)?

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Stupid Q but how do you actually install Lion on it?
Assuming you only have an ML install but do have both App Store Installers, when you choose 'New virtual machine', I get the following......
So I click + and am presented with........
Image.
So anybody know what's next, (by the way I don't have the recovery option available)?

Extract the InstallESD.dmg out of the Lion installer (The one you downloaded from the App Store.).

Click the button that's highlighted blue, "Install Windows or another OS from DVD or image file". The DMG you pulled out of the Lion installer is the image for Lion.

That should allow you to install Lion. NOTE: I've ever used Parallels but, I have a few Lion and Mountain Lion virtuals running in VMWare Fusion on a Mountain Lion install.

Triangle Man

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Okay, I give up.... Now Mail.app won't start and just crashes as soon as I click it.

I've gone back to Lion. With the inability to use iMessage, upgrading to Mountain Lion was kind of a let down.

Maybe I should start thinking about buying a new computer... ugh... but my Mac Pro 1,1 is a BEAST of a machine and could run Mountain Lion just fine if Apple had just made it compatible.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Okay, I give up.... Now Mail.app won't start and just crashes as soon as I click it.

I've gone back to Lion. With the inability to use iMessage, upgrading to Mountain Lion was kind of a let down.

Maybe I should start thinking about buying a new computer... ugh... but my Mac Pro 1,1 is a BEAST of a machine and could run Mountain Lion just fine if Apple had just made it compatible.

Is this Mail problem on a virgin system?

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)

What happened to your iMessage? Mine was running fine since I installed it but only just failed last week but I don't know why :confused:

sokol3k

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
so can anyone update models that are working properly with icould sleep, brightness button etc ? or every mac is affected with some bugs ?

I am considering to purchase macbook and I don't know what model I can afford right now.

I am thinking to get macbook 4.1 950 graphic.

hack4rmwin

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
Gma x3100

Hi Guys i installed this version quite a time ago and had a problem with QC/QI (Open GL Video Unsupported) was unable to watch any video or run flash player and even the launch pad was to slow to respond, so i want know if all the problem been solved for GMA X3100. or these issues are still in question.

Thanks brozzz.

themooer1

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
mountain lion crash help

Just recently I used this guide to install ML, and it worked great. The graphics and sound appeared fine, however some java applications reject them. The only problem that I had so far was that Pages and Keynote wouldn't work, until just recently, it started to give name kernel panics at boot. I upgraded to 10.8.2 without any problems. Right after I installed my HP photo smart 7510 printer drivers this began happening. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help. 2013-01-17 10.32.13.jpg

2013-01-17 10.32.16.jpg

themooer1

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
help mountain lion crash

Just recently I used this guide to install ML, and it worked great. The graphics and sound appeared fine, however some java applications reject them. The only problem that I had so far was that Pages and Keynote wouldn't work, until just recently, it started to give name kernel panics at boot. I upgraded to 10.8.2 without any problems. Right after I installed my HP photo smart 7510 printer drivers this began happening. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help. View attachment 390785

View attachment 390786

themooer1

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
mountain lion kernel panic

Just recently I used this guide to install ML, and it worked great. The graphics and sound appeared fine, however some java applications reject them. The only problem that I had so far was that Pages and Keynote wouldn't work, until just recently, it started to give name kernel panics at boot. I upgraded to 10.8.2 without any problems. Right after I installed my HP photo smart 7510 printer drivers this began happening. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help. View attachment 390785

View attachment 390786

Srico

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012

View attachment 390786
You may want to try to do a time machine restore, if you have one. Or repair your disk permissions in the repair HD option. At the very worst, you could back up all your items and reinstall. Hope this helps, good luck to you!
~Srico

Triangle Man

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Is this Mail problem on a virgin system?

When I first installed Mountain Lion 10.8.0, Mail worked. Then I upgraded to 10.8.2 using Pacifist like the OP stated. After that, the computer rebooted and everything seemed fine, until I went to use Mail.

I tried deleting preferences and deleting everything related to mail and even repairing permissions and nothing helped. Mail was shot.

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
URGENT KP Killed my MacBook.

Well I got the Kernal Panic that everyone is getting now like 4 days ago. And it completely killed my MacBook. It no longer will boot to any DVD, nor USB. I Have tried a retail leopard DVD, along with a Lion USB, neither work now. On the leopard disk it will see it and get to the apple logo, but just hang there, it does nothing. Apple Killed our machines with whatever we all got over the past few days. My MacBook is not sitting here dead. Thanks Apple.

If ANYONE finds a way to get them back alive let me know. Ive wipped my HDD via Target Disk Mode and still to no avail.

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
Well I got the Kernal Panic that everyone is getting now like 4 days ago. And it completely killed my MacBook. It no longer will boot to any DVD, nor USB. I Have tried a retail leopard DVD, along with a Lion USB, neither work now. On the leopard disk it will see it and get to the apple logo, but just hang there, it does nothing. Apple Killed our machines with whatever we all got over the past few days. My MacBook is not sitting here dead. Thanks Apple.

If ANYONE finds a way to get them back alive let me know. Ive wipped my HDD via Target Disk Mode and still to no avail.

Assuming the disk is genuinely formatted, the only other thing that sticks is the PRAM settings.

Try resetting it. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

minsu

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
Well I just registered into this board to thank you guys.

I just installed ML on a MacBook Air 1.1 (original), and except for the problems with brightness and sleep, which I solved somewhat with a few tricks (there are apps that can manage the brightness and I've set the computer to display sleep only), it runs smooth and quite faster than it did with Lion, I only had to install the kexts for the sound and graphic card drivers.

It's really a shame that Apple didn´t support these machines, as we users are discovering they can run the system quite well in our machines. I can´t understand it, really.

Anyways, thank you for the effort of making this possible.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Has there been any progress for MacBook Pro's with the X1600?? I searched this thread and only saw recent posts related to the X3100 and GMA950.

According to my MBP 2,2 running lion 10.7.5, it shows the kexts as being 64bit...

Attachments

• X1600 x86.jpg
    X1600 x86.jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 154

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
When I first installed Mountain Lion 10.8.0, Mail worked. Then I upgraded to 10.8.2 using Pacifist like the OP stated. After that, the computer rebooted and everything seemed fine, until I went to use Mail.

I tried deleting preferences and deleting everything related to mail and even repairing permissions and nothing helped. Mail was shot.

Are there any Mail plugins that might be causing this and is there a crash log?

dannster

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
London, UK
I've got to the step where I reboot, press down the options key, select the drive to install Mountain Lion... and all I get is a grey screen with a circle and line through it :/

I have a mac mini 2,1.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I've got to the step where I reboot, press down the options key, select the drive to install Mountain Lion... and all I get is a grey screen with a circle and line through it :/

I have a mac mini 2,1.

Wired or wireless keyboard? Are you holding ⌥ at the right time?

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Wires keyboard. I restart and as soon as the screen turns off I press and hold down the alt ⌥ button...

So let me get this straight. After you've done all the mods on the ML package you end up with a USB installer?
You press the option key at reboot and select the USB?
You then go through the instructions and select the ML destination, (which is formatted correctly of course)?

dannster

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
London, UK
So let me get this straight. After you've done all the mods on the ML package you end up with a USB installer?
You press the option key at reboot and select the USB?
You then go through the instructions and select the ML destination, (which is formatted correctly of course)?

Yeah, all correct - I press the option key at reboot and select USB and then I get the grey circle with a line through it. I didn't format the drive first, but I created another partition and assumed it was ok. The reason for that is because I already installed Mountain Lion on a partition and it worked.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Yeah, all correct - I press the option key at reboot and select USB and then I get the grey circle with a line through it. I didn't format the drive first, but I created another partition and assumed it was ok. The reason for that is because I already installed Mountain Lion on a partition and it worked.

Sounds like there might be a problem with the installer. You get this before even picking a destination for ML?

dannster

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
London, UK
Sounds like there might be a problem with the installer. You get this before even picking a destination for ML?

Nope, I get the options of which disk to boot from, select the USB partition that the installer's on and then get the circle with the line through it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.