Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Boot.efi

Can somebody do me a favour pls?

Let me know what the permissions are/should be on boot.efi located in System/Library/Core Services.

By running the following command;
ls -l /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

Ta.

Last edited:

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Can somebody do me a favour pls?

Let me know what the permissions are/should be on boot.efi located in System/Library/Core Services.

By running the following command;
ls -l /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

Ta.

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 994464 30 Jan 12:01 /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 994464 30 Jan 12:01 /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

Mine are -rwxrwxrwx 1 staff 986272 15 Jul 2012 /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

That's what my problem is I think.

feriso

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
Well I finally got round to trying this after following the thread for some months. However I am having the problem whereby I get the grey screen and crossed circle.

I have checked my board ID and that is in the allowed installation plist.

The only thing I can possibly think of is that I an using a 10.8.2 installer rather than a 10.8.0 as specified in the OP. Is it that crucial?

edit: also the boot.efi has the same issue as described above but changing it appears to make no difference.

edit2: I don't know how much difference it makes but I have alot more files in my folders than the OP is showing on his pictures.

Also the SystemVersion.plist in the hack zip file shows 12A128p where as mine shows 12A269 - an issue?

Last edited:

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Well I finally got round to trying this after following the thread for some months. However I am having the problem whereby I get the grey screen and crossed circle.

I have checked my board ID and that is in the allowed installation plist.

The only thing I can possibly think of is that I an using a 10.8.2 installer rather than a 10.8.0 as specified in the OP. Is it that crucial?

edit: also the boot.efi has the same issue as described above but changing it appears to make no difference.

edit2: I don't know how much difference it makes but I have alot more files in my folders than the OP is showing on his pictures.

Also the SystemVersion.plist in the hack zip file shows 12A128p where as mine shows 12A269 - an issue?

Should be fine, my install was built on a 10.8.2 build.
I'm awaiting 10.8.3 before I retry and fix the boot.efi thing.
Also what do you mean by a lot more files in your folders, can you list or screenshot them?

System version - don't worry about that yet.

EDIT: Changing boot.efi attributes didn't help.
Mine are now -rw-r--r--@ 1 root wheel 986272 15 Jul 2012 /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
Same problem.

Last edited:

MLforAll

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
iMac whit ATI Radeon X1600 and MacBook 2,1 Graphics Card working on ML !

Hi !

Sorry if my English is bad, I'm French.

I recently succeeded to install Mountain Lion 10.8 on my iMac Late 2006 with ATIRadeon X1600 graphics who is worked very well (with graphics acceleration and OpenGL Support) !

Here the method I created :

1. Partition a 8 GB USB stick in GUID Partition Table (GPT).
2. Go to your Install Mountain Lion Application -> click Show Packages Contents -> Contents -> SharedSupport -> and mount InstallESD.
3. open a terminal and type : open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/basesystem.dmg
4. Restore your USB with Mac OS X Base System
5. When restoring operation is finished, eject Mac OS X Base System DISK IMAGE and rename your USB to ML Setup (with a space between ML and Setup).
6. on terminal, type : sudo cp -R /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/ML\ Setup/System/Installation
7. When copying operation is finished, download this file here
8. Unzip this and move the folder on your startup disk (/).
9. Go to the Hack ML folder, and open Install.command
10. After running, you should be see the message : Done ! You can....
10Bis. on terminal : sudo rm /Volumes/ML\ Setup/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist
: sudo rm -R /Volumes/ML\ Setup/System/Library/CoreServices/com.apple.recovery.Boot
11. Boot into your USB and Install ML on a partition who must be named : ML
12. After installing, you should see Installation Failed. It's not important, It's normal !
13. When you see this error message, go to Utilities -> Terminal and type : /Hack.command
14. After hacking, close terminal and reboot into your ML disk (It named ML).
15. enjoy with ML on your iMac or MacBook !

PS : To Upgarde to 10.8.2, apply the update via the Mac App Store. After installing, reboot into your Installation and reapply /Hack.command on a terminal. Then, reboot into your ML disk.

MLforAll on twitter, please follow, I publish news (In French, sorry) for the Hack's state.

Last edited:

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Hi !

Sorry if my English is bad, I'm French.

I recently succeeded to install Mountain Lion 10.8 on my iMac Late 2006 with ATIRadeon X1600 graphics who is worked very well (with graphics acceleration and OpenGL Support) !

PS : To Upgarde to 10.8.2, apply the update via the Mac App Store. After installing, reboot into your Installation and reapply /Hack.command on a terminal. Then, reboot into your ML disk.

You are still on 10.8.0?

MLforAll

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
No, my iMac is on Mountain Lion 10.8.2
The patch worked on this version.

And now I can post on Facebook directly from Notification Center !

MLforAll

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
X1600, GMA 950... support

Hi !

Fortunaly, the GMA 950, ATI Radeon X1600 works very well on mountain lion 10.8.2 as you can see :

iMac_10.8.2.png

You can see the transparent menu bar.

The secret is : a 32 bits loading of Mountain Lion 10.8.2 (it's 10.8.2 because of the Facebook posting integrated in the notification center), a combination between 2 OpenGL : v10.7.5 and v10.8; and finally, the graphics kexts from 10.7.5 added to ML extensions folder.

You can test the v1.0 of this hack here !

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"7. When copying operation is finished, download this file here"

Link above not working.
Could you display it in normal "URL format"?

repa4ok

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
MLforAll, i love you! this solution works for macbooks with X3100 too! just need to replace GMA950 kexts with original X3100 (not from first post!).

MLforAll

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
repa4ok, thanks for the reply. My solution must work with all of macs who have his graphics kext on Lion 10.7.5 ! The patch replace the OpenGL.framework via my custom OpenGL.framework.

Thanks again ! I will add the MacBook 3,1 to the list of compatible macs and add GMA X3100 support natively !

mishendr

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
Wow, sounds promising.

If this would be the solution for Macbook3,1 with X3100 and NO sleep issues, this would be fantastic!

But, once more, do Mac Mini's with X3100 exist? They are in the list, but I never heard of them. Only Mini's with 9400 and GMA950.

----------

MLforAll, i love you! this solution works for macbooks with X3100 too! just need to replace GMA950 kexts with original X3100 (not from first post!).

@repa4ok: which kext do you use then, where did you get it? From 10.7.5 or 10.8? And did you manage to download the Hack file, maybe you can repost it?

MLforAll

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
For add GMA X3100 graphics with NO sleep issues to my Hack, put their kext from Lion 10.7.5 to your ML disk.

You can also try with other machines. I think it work for all machine they have their graphics kexts on Lion 10.7.5 because my Hack install a my modified OpenGL.framework who include support for Lion 10.7.5 graphics kexts !

-------------------

Alternative download link : http://dl.free.fr/qRkoCe9RQ

Nemesis19

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2010
For add GMA X3100 graphics with NO sleep issues to my Hack, put their kext from Lion 10.7.5 to your ML disk.

You can also try with other machines. I think it work for all machine they have their graphics kexts on Lion 10.7.5 because my Hack install a my modified OpenGL.framework who include support for Lion 10.7.5 graphics kexts !

-------------------

Alternative download link : http://dl.free.fr/qRkoCe9RQ

So let me get this straight, with this trick I can have ML fully working with no brightness and sleep issues or video playback issues also on MacBook 4,1 with x3100?

That would be super awesome!!!

mishendr

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
It works!

It is true, I've got my Macbook3,1 with X3100 FULLY WORKING! It sleeps perfectly!

Follow the guide on the thread from MLforALL, not this "old" guide posted here, as it has already been updated! You need to install via harddisk (partitions), NOT via USB (at least, on a Macbook3,1)

BUT IT FINALLY WORKS!!! :D:D:D

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1550560/

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
It's a shame that's for sure, (assuming progress has stopped), but I still look in every now and then and I appreciate all the work done to date. I'm running a pretty happy ML system and even if there is no more support I still say, 'Thankyou Hacker Wayne for all you have done'.

Excuse me all. Im back, sorry for the looooong delay. No, progress HASNT stopped. Have been busy for the past months. Im having problems compiling the app. Script version is ready.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
It is true, I've got my Macbook3,1 with X3100 FULLY WORKING! It sleeps perfectly!

Follow the guide on the thread from MLforALL, not this "old" guide posted here, as it has already been updated! You need to install via harddisk (partitions), NOT via USB (at least, on a Macbook3,1)

BUT IT FINALLY WORKS!!! :D:D:D

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1550560/

This method uses all DP1 extensions. Future updates might brick the system. I will attempt to fine tune his method and write a proper guide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.