Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Owns a .50 Caliber Anti-Aircraft gun

:eek: :eek: :eek:

He had in position a 7.2 automatic rifle... and the anti-aircraft gun...

Wow. Wow. How can someone get these weapons outside of the military... wow.

According to the Press Release he was planning on using the guns against 'any perceived threat' ...

34 firearms and silencers:
Thats 13 machine guns, 5 silencers.

He also sold drugs allowing him to buy his guns...

geez

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
Hey, that is not very far from where I live (Beaverton is a western suburb of Portland). Pretty amusing, because no-one was actually hurt by any of this. The fact he had 100 pot plants in his house seems very Oregon...still, not the smartest tool in the shed...a sure way to attract attention to your 100 pot plants is to have big guns out of your window.

And they say stoners aren't prone to violence...

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
if you had 100 pot plants, and didn't pack those kinds of guns...i would have robbed you long ago :D.

stinky green for everyone!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
041029size_difference_422.jpg

that's just not right - and why have a loaded gun pointing out a window?!?!?

Glad he was stupid enough to get noticed before he actually used them - that gun would have ripped apart a car if he'd felt inclined to use it....

D :confused: :eek:

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Mr. Anderson said:

Glad he was stupid enough to get noticed before he actually used them - that gun would have ripped apart a car if he'd felt inclined to use it....

Yeah really, rip any car to shreds in a matter of 3 shots.

I wonder how they stormed the place, wow.

Just amazing.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
damn this idiot... drugs are for making music better, work easier and winter more tolerable. not for financing weapons caches.

he must have had some bad ganja, he's a tad paranoid...

of course, thanks to the expiration of the assault weapons ban, a lot of those very weapons are available at a Store Near You!

paul

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Something was loose no doubt. In WW2 most American fighters - P51,P47,P40,etc etc used 50 calibur for taking down enemy aircraft. I wonder what the NRA has to say about it all.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
This man is an extremist. Another case were stupidity causes a person to get caught. He has a right to collect guns legally. It's the way that he was using the guns that's wrong. Just shows how difficult that it is to control internet sales. Having the antiaircraft gun is crazy.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
wdlove said:
This man is an extremist. Another case were stupidity causes a person to get caught. He has a right to collect guns legally. It's the way that he was using the guns that's wrong. Just shows how difficult that it is to control internet sales. Having the antiaircraft gun is crazy.

Yeah owning a, ANY Anti-Air gun is crazy and is easily banned (one would suspect them being banned anyway).

He has a huge huge stockpile of weapons, geez... thats just massive.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
My goodness, that's one heck of a gun. It really concerns me that any private individuals have weapons like that.

JesseJames

macrumors 6502a
"... paranoia strikes deep...into your life it will creep...it starts when you're always afraid... step outta line, the man come and take you away...stop children what's that sound everybody look what's going down.."

M2 heavy machine gun. 'Ma Deuce'. When 'Ma Deuce' talks, everyone listens. Everyone respects 'Ma Deuce'. :D

That guy ain't right in the head. Wonder if he belongs to a right-wing extremist militia or something. Those guys are funny.

JesseJames

macrumors 6502a
Well, you can get one if you have a federal firearms permit. Maybe he knew somebody who knew somebody.
Then again, there's always the black market. The M2 heavy machine is pretty ubiquitous in many countries armies. It could have been purchased overseas and smuggled into the country.
The .50 cal is a pretty bad mother. I was in the Army and I know that that round can go frickin' forever. Especially the armor-piercing rounds. Punch through steel like tissue paper.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
"And from time to time we would see him carry a gun in. You know, it is the hunting season and you don't think too much about it. He seemed awfully nice."
Okay then, it was just hunting season. Maybe there are just really big squirrels in the neighborhood.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Mr. Anderson said:

That's one serious nasal-hair remover he's got there...

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
paulwhannel said:
damn this idiot... drugs are for making music better, work easier and winter more tolerable. not for financing weapons caches.

he must have had some bad ganja, he's a tad paranoid...

of course, thanks to the expiration of the assault weapons ban, a lot of those very weapons are available at a Store Near You!

paul
You have no idea what the assault weapons ban actually banned then.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
GeeYouEye said:
You have no idea what the assault weapons ban actually banned then.

Well I did have to make a certain assumption (because the article did not contain the specific weapons in the stockpile, beyond machine guns and silencers), that someone who possesses .50 anti-aircraft may also have in their 13-gun collection, semi-automatics with a detachable mag (you can find those damn near anywhere, ban or no) with perhaps a pistol grip and adjustable stock... which certainly would be prohibited by the ban. Again, until we get a list of the entire cache, neither of us can be proven wrong. Well, I guess I can show I know what the weapons ban means... I also know that despite how ineffectual the law turned out to be, thanks to the considerable lobbying efforts of the NRA, that law enforcement across the nation has decried the expiration. We need a new ban, stronger and more sweeping on these kind of weapons. Rifles, shotguns, even semi-automatic handguns I can see a person owning. AK-47's, i really don't think so.

paul

2jaded2care

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Atlanta
I would be surprised if this guy purchased all of the guns "legally". My understanding is, machine gun and silencer purchases have to be cleared through BATF and local authorities, background checks and fingerprinting, 'course. BATF reserves the right to visit you and inspect your weapons. Doesn't sound like a particularly good plan given his source of funding... but then again, the guy is obviously not a rocket scientist. Just good police work and luck that this guy didn't do any more damage than he did.

Have to wonder how close the schools were, he probably can get hit for the weapons and drugs too close to school grounds, I hope. This guy doesn't need to breathe free air again.

Personally, I'm glad the so-called AWB expired, I just wish the existing laws were better enforced, and that police were better equipped to handle threats. (Yes, I realize there's not much good defense against a .50 cal. -- which was not a weapon restricted by the AWB.) In my mind, there's no reason for police to have to complain about being "out-gunned" by criminals. The weapons exist, they are available to criminals AWB or not. I'd much rather see trained patrol officers carrying MP5Ks with M16s in a secured trunk, than bleeding officers.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
paulwhannel said:
Well I did have to make a certain assumption (because the article did not contain the specific weapons in the stockpile, beyond machine guns and silencers), that someone who possesses .50 anti-aircraft may also have in their 13-gun collection, semi-automatics with a detachable mag (you can find those damn near anywhere, ban or no) with perhaps a pistol grip and adjustable stock... which certainly would be prohibited by the ban. Again, until we get a list of the entire cache, neither of us can be proven wrong.
The AWB is a moot point here (assuming he even owned weapons that would have been covered by the AWB). First off, you are assuming he acquired all of the weapons after the ban sunset. Secondly, considering we know he owned banned firearms (full auto rifles) I don't see why it would matter if the AWB was still in effect or not. He obviously doesn't care if he owns illegal firearms and he obviously has ways of purchasing illegal firearms. Banning of weapons did not disable his ability to acquire them.

Well, I guess I can show I know what the weapons ban means... I also know that despite how ineffectual the law turned out to be, thanks to the considerable lobbying efforts of the NRA, that law enforcement across the nation has decried the expiration. We need a new ban, stronger and more sweeping on these kind of weapons. Rifles, shotguns, even semi-automatic handguns I can see a person owning. AK-47's, i really don't think so.

paul

"Assault weapons" only accounted for about 1-2% of gun crime in pre-ban years (stats for during ban years vary from "no change" to "reduced" depending on the study). Professional gun traffickers, on the other hand, account for the vast majority of the guns used in crimes. By professional gun trafficker I mean someone who makes a living supplying guns to people illegally. So that could mean a corrupt FFL (someone who is licensed by the Feds to buy/sell firearms commercially), an unlicensed dealer, a "straw buyer" (someone who can legally purcahse, but purchases on behalf of someone who can't legally pruchase), etc.,. During a two year investigation into gun trafficking by the ATF (1996-98 and published in '00) corrupt FFLs alone were responible for nearly half of the trafficked firearms.

Laws are only as good as the level at which they get enforced and what we need is better enforcement of the current laws. The Justice Department has recently said the ATF has not been up to par in terms of making sure that all FFLs are obeying the law. The two main reasons cited are lack of resources and a lack of standardized inspection procedures.

If we don't have the resources to properly enforce the current laws how effective will another, possibly under-enfroced, law be? Instead of more pointless legislation lets put pressure on the Feds to do a better job of enforcing the laws currently on the books (as well as a tweak here and there to close loop holes and stiffen penalties). If you want to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals let's focus on the people that make a living arming criminals. It's not as glamorous as "banning" things but it's a helluva lot more effective. And even if you have a 100% success rate w/AWB-type legislation do you really reduce the rate of gun crime by ~2% or just change what gun ultimately gets used in a crime? Can you really claim a victory because an officer was killed by a round from a pistol that hit above his bullet-proof vest instead of by of a round from an "assault weapon" that hit above his bullet-proof vest.

Lethal

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
MrMacman said:
Owns a .50 Caliber Anti-Aircraft gun
Let's not get carried away as our liberal press does these days.

Hard to tell with the picture in the article, but looks a lot like the M2 which is on every main battle tank up through the M1A2 along with a variety of other vehicles.

Nice weapon, but he M2 is not a primary anti-aircraft weapon in the least bit.

BTW, it is quite a bit smaller than the 20mm that I used on the Cobra or the 30mm on the Apache.

Get my point!

MrMacman said:
Wow. Wow. How can someone get these weapons outside of the military... wow.
Gun collectors can get them, even during the ban.

MrMacman said:
He also sold drugs allowing him to buy his guns...
Drug dealing. Punish him as he should receive.

Sushi

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.