Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibookowner2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
hey,
ive been using front row on my ibook for ages but sadly its just not the same without the apple remote with IR.

then i thought..... you can buy little USB IR sticks, so why couldnt you use the remote with that, maby with a hack or something ?

whats your thoughts ?

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I too would love to do this, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. :( I have an iPod Universal Dock and would love to use my Apple Remote with it.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
p0intblank said:
I too would love to do this, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. :( I have an iPod Universal Dock and would love to use my Apple Remote with it.
The remote that came with my mbp works on my apple universal dock. I found out my accident while using Front Row my pod came on and the songs were changing/ The functionality is limited, like you cant adjust volume(at least I dont think), but you can definitely control the songs.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I'm pretty sure other members have been able to use FrontRow with the Griffin Air Click or with a bluetooth phone compatible with Sailing Clicker. All you have to do is assign them the keyboard commands. A bluetooth Keyboard also works, however its not a very elegant solution.

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
ibookowner2005 said:
hey,
ive been using front row on my ibook for ages but sadly its just not the same without the apple remote with IR.

then i thought..... you can buy little USB IR sticks, so why couldnt you use the remote with that, maby with a hack or something ?

whats your thoughts ?

Definately possible (and not too hard) for a software engineer with device driver skills, but way beyond the average Mac enthusiast.

Basically, you would need to write your own USB IR receiver firmware and burn it to a PIC controller or similar. The key information you need is the USB product and vendor ID which is 0x8240 and 0x05ac respectively. You can find open source IR receiver firmware and schematics on the Internet.

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
technicolor said:
The remote that came with my mbp works on my apple universal dock. I found out my accident while using Front Row my pod came on and the songs were changing/ The functionality is limited, like you cant adjust volume(at least I dont think), but you can definitely control the songs.
Odd, they pair up, it should only be paired with your MBP. Unless you paired the remote for both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.