HACKED apple remote ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ibookowner2005, Mar 16, 2006.

1. ibookowner2005 macrumors newbie

Dec 12, 2005
    ive been using front row on my ibook for ages but sadly its just not the same without the apple remote with IR.

then i thought..... you can buy little USB IR sticks, so why couldnt you use the remote with that, maby with a hack or something ?

whats your thoughts ?
  2. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Sep 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    I too would love to do this, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. :( I have an iPod Universal Dock and would love to use my Apple Remote with it.
  3. technicolor macrumors 68000

Dec 21, 2005
    The remote that came with my mbp works on my apple universal dock. I found out my accident while using Front Row my pod came on and the songs were changing/ The functionality is limited, like you cant adjust volume(at least I dont think), but you can definitely control the songs.
  4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    I'm pretty sure other members have been able to use FrontRow with the Griffin Air Click or with a bluetooth phone compatible with Sailing Clicker. All you have to do is assign them the keyboard commands. A bluetooth Keyboard also works, however its not a very elegant solution.
  5. mdavey macrumors 6502a

Nov 1, 2005
    Definately possible (and not too hard) for a software engineer with device driver skills, but way beyond the average Mac enthusiast.

Basically, you would need to write your own USB IR receiver firmware and burn it to a PIC controller or similar. The key information you need is the USB product and vendor ID which is 0x8240 and 0x05ac respectively. You can find open source IR receiver firmware and schematics on the Internet.
  6. howesey macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2005
    Odd, they pair up, it should only be paired with your MBP. Unless you paired the remote for both.