Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
How you ask?

You guessed it. A bona-fide genuine MS security flaw.

Hacker cracks Xbox challenge

By David Becker
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
March 31, 2003, 12:11 PM PT

An anonymous hacker has succeeded in running Linux on an unmodified Xbox, apparently satisfying a $100,000 challenge funded by Lindows founder Michael Robertson.

A hacker using the name Habibi-Xbox revealed the exploit Saturday in a message posted on the Xbox Hacker Web site. Organizers of the Xbox-Linux Project confirmed the method works.

The trick involves the "save/load game" function in the James Bond game "007: Agent Under Fire," which normally allows players to save a file recording their progress in the game to the Xbox's hard drive and later reload it. Habibi found that by using one of several USB storage devices recognized by the Xbox, the "load game" screen can also be used to load other software, including compact versions of the Linux operating system.

The technique apparently exploits a "buffer overflow" flaw in the 007 game, a technique similar to that used by online vandals to damage servers. "Basically, there is a bug in the save handling, which has been found in several games," Habibi wrote in the posting.

Hackers have been working since shortly after the Xbox was released to modify the game console so it will run other types of software. Programmers have been successful in running Linux on consoles outfitted with "mod chips," grey-market add-ons that bypass security systems in the Xbox. But most mod chips require extensive and precise soldering work, limiting their appeal. A system that runs homemade software on an unmodified console is seen as essential to popularizing Xbox versions of Linux.

Michael Robertson, founder of Linux company Lindows, has encouraged such work with a two-part contest, each part carrying a $100,000 prize. Part A, for the first team to run Linux on an Xbox, has already been met, and a prize committee is selecting the winners.

Part B sets aside $100,000 for the first to run Linux on an unmodified Xbox. British programmer Andy Green, one of the founders of the Xbox Linux Project, confirmed Monday that the 007 exploit works and said it "will qualify for some or all of the prize." A final decision won't be made until the contest expires Dec 31, however, and a prize committee assigned by Robinson assigns credit.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Yeah I read that on /. yester (was it...?)

I read there article very nice bypass. Uses a security flaw.. hehe and other games are affected too.

Wow that sure beats trying to break 2048 Bit Encryption. :eek:

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
thats awesome, makes my xbox ever more cooler, now i just gotta wait for a simple way to do it.

iJon

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
Just out of curiosity: What's the point in putting linux on an xbox? Is there a purpose, or is it done just to see if it can be done? :confused:

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Roger1
Just out of curiosity: What's the point in putting linux on an xbox? Is there a purpose, or is it done just to see if it can be done? :confused:
well the xbox can make a verry good computer . its already has an hd, has like a 700mhz processor, good video card, and an ethernet built in. basically its probably the cheapest decent 200 dollar computer you could find.

iJon

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
How would you hook up a mouse and keyboard? How much ram does it have? Can I run Windows on it? :D

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Roger1
How would you hook up a mouse and keyboard? How much ram does it have? Can I run Windows on it? :D
well the ports on the front are usb, you just have to do some wire splitting and things like that to get them to work, i dont know about windows. im sure if you can get linux on there windows couldnt be too hard, especially being a microsoft product.

iJon

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by iJon
well the ports on the front are usb, you just have to do some wire splitting and things like that to get them to work, i dont know about windows. im sure if you can get linux on there windows couldnt be too hard, especially being a microsoft product.

iJon

There's adaptors you can get that you plug into the Xbox's game ports which have a USB connector at the other end.

When you get Linux installed on it, you can purchase either Win4Lin or Vmware and run Windows inside of Linux, but I don't think there will be any way soon to run Windows natively on it.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i think a big part of the "to see if it could be done" factor is that the xbox's security was so well-touted, and MS is notoriously bad about security issues. I think that the Lindows guy was basically saying "once again they've failed". Sure he could have assembled a team of top minds to do this, but the contest proves that a "mere hacker" (in the eyes of the business world, not technical) can do it.

I applaud Michael Robertson for doing this, it's a huge stab at MS. Surprised that MS hasn't filed suit yet... i'm sure the license agreements prohibit this sort of thing...

pnw

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
well the xbox can make a verry good computer . its already has an hd, has like a 700mhz processor, good video card, and an ethernet built in. basically its probably the cheapest decent 200 dollar computer you could find.

And remember a couple of other things, in order:

1) MS loses money on every 'Box they sell -- a lot (somthing to the tune of $150 - 200). Their margins are not expected to improve over time like Sony's will because unlike the PS2 maker, MS outsources ALL of the manufacturing of their console.

2) A Linux Box for $200 would be the cheapest fully functional PC you could buy.

3) MS wouldn't make any money on the licensing of Windows software on the XBox.

4) They only make money on the individual licensing of games.

5) A rush to buy Xboxes for cheap Linux stations would result in huge capital losses for MS and no sales of MS software (their only profitable division) and a smaller percentage of games bought per 'Box shipped -- assuming some of those who buy a 'Box to run Linux would still occasionally buy a game.

6) MS would have to kill the Xbox either with an update in firmware or a whole new version (too soon --; many original Xbox owners just bought theirs this Xmas) and let the original wither on the vine.

7) Either way, if the Linux Xbox catches on, the Xbox project will die.

Long live Nintendo!
Long live Sony!

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Originally posted by pseudobrit
And remember a couple of other things, in order:

1) MS loses money on every 'Box they sell -- a lot (somthing to the tune of $150 - 200). Their margins are not expected to improve over time like Sony's will because unlike the PS2 maker, MS outsources ALL of the manufacturing of their console.

2) A Linux Box for $200 would be the cheapest fully functional PC you could buy.

3) MS wouldn't make any money on the licensing of Windows software on the XBox.

5) A rush to buy Xboxes for cheap Linux stations would result in huge capital losses for MS and no sales of MS software (their only profitable division) and a smaller percentage of games bought per 'Box shipped -- assuming some of those who buy a 'Box to run Linux would still occasionally buy a game.

6) MS would have to kill the Xbox either with an update in firmware or a whole new version (too soon --; many original Xbox owners just bought theirs this Xmas) and let the original wither on the vine.

7) Either way, if the Linux Xbox catches on, the Xbox project will die.

Long live Nintendo!
Long live Sony!

For once, I actually agree with you :p

This is going to force microsoft to rethink their xBox strategy.

Is it true that PS2's use a PowerPC chip? If so, would there be a way to run linux on it, and then a special program (can't remember the name) that runs the Mac OS on Linux? Any hackers want to try? I can give you a dollar :cool:

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Actually, the GameCube runs off the PowerPC. It's a modified PowerPC processor from IBM with a touch of Altivec in it. I believe it runs at 450MHz.

EDIT: Got beat to the punch.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Originally posted by rice_web
Actually, the GameCube runs off the PowerPC. It's a modified PowerPC processor from IBM with a touch of Altivec in it. I believe it runs at 450MHz.

EDIT: Got beat to the punch.
Are you sure about that?

I had always heard that it's "Gecko" chip is a 750FX based chip at 400 Mhz - custom for Nintendo, but I've never heard anything about it contiaing and SIMD (AltiVec) unit.

The ATI "Flipper" chip, may have SIMD capabilities however. (That's the chip mainly responsible for it's sound and graphics, BTW)

IBM is, however, designing the CPU(s) for the next generation, Sony PlayStation 3. I hope Nintendo has something up their sleves to compete with it too, because it sounds like the console to beat in 2004/2005. Makes me wonder if Nintendo doesn't follow Sega's lead and dump the hardware business - Mario on PS and XBox, gives me shivers! Then again, 3 years ago, who would have imagined we'd have Sonic The Hedgehog on a Nintendo console?

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
BTW - Although the PS2 does not run on a PowerPC, one of it's main strengths, from what I've read, is dual SIMD units and a very fast bus.

(FYI: SIMD = Single Instruction stream, Multiple Data steams AltiVec, MMX/SSE and 3D-Now are all popular, PC based implementations of SIMD)

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan

Time to hack my kids Gamecube! :D

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by pseudobrit
um have you forgotten xbox live, they are raking in the money. and they wont close the xbox project, this is microsoft they have all the money in the world to spend. ps3 will come out and microsoft and nintendo will come after it and once again the ps2 will be the most underpowered system of them all. with my experiences the only thing the ps2 has over the xbox is gta. but thats just my opinion, its all in the matter of what you like. but for the time being xbox beats out the ps2 in every field hardware wise.

iJon

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
the xbox just goes to show how microsoft will do anything it takes to dominate any market. They will spend any amount of money they can to kill the competition. If microsoft sold the xbox for any less, I'm sure sony or nintendo would sue because they're giving them away practically for free.

The only reason that m$ hasn't won on the OS front is because money can't buy the innovation that Apple and the open source community have...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by G4scott
the xbox just goes to show how microsoft will do anything it takes to dominate any market. They will spend any amount of money they can to kill the competition. If microsoft sold the xbox for any less, I'm sure sony or nintendo would sue because they're giving them away practically for free.

The only reason that m$ hasn't won on the OS front is because money can't buy the innovation that Apple and the open source community have...
well if i had unlimited funds i would do anything possible to beat the competition, why wouldnt you. in the business world its all about money, and you do anything to get it.

iJon

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
well if i had unlimited funds i would do anything possible to beat the competition, why wouldnt you. in the business world its all about money, and you do anything to get it.

iJon
This is true, but there are some limits. If it can be proven that you took a loss on a product just to put a competitor out of business, you can be sued for anti-competitive business practices. (Smaller airlines are always sueing bigger ones over that issue)
Saddly, it always seems that a company has to be on the brink of death before it gets to court.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.