Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Because all you have to add (besides what's in the box) is ground beef. Instead of a hamburger, you can make wonderful Beef Stroganoff with that ground beef!!

Wow, I've never heard of stroganoff being made with mince meat. It's always made with chunks of beef here. I find what people eat in different countries to be really interesting. :)

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I saw the title of this thread and immediately thought of a related thread posted by jsw last year :D

I'm no cook but I'm proud to say I've never experienced anything like Hamburger Helper (well I'm a veggie so that might explain it), nor have I ever had a Pot Noodle in my life. I prefer 'real' food to ready-meals though I must admit, on occasion, I buy ready-made mash. :eek: Yeah I know, so simple to make yourself and I normally do, but I was feeling really crap and lazy yesterday so I bought some M&S Ultimate Potato Mash. Not bad, but I do prefer my own (has less of a glue-like consistency!)

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
Seven Eleven taquitos are friggin delicious. I don't have them too often but when I do, yummm.....

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Wow, I've never heard of stroganoff being made with mince meat. It's always made with chunks of beef here. I find what people eat in different countries to be really interesting. :)

Well, that would be the "crap" part of iGary's original post. It's merely supposed to resemble beef strogonoff, while costing a total of $3 to make and 10 minutes to prepare. It's not even close.

I saw the title of this thread and immediately thought of a related thread posted by jsw last year :D

kt beat you to it in post #32. ;)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Oh yeah, have you ever had cheese on toast with baked beans on top? I learned about that one from my dad, who made it in his bachelor days. Good stuff! (Seriously!)

sounds nice, not much a fan of beans though :eek:

Mine is just cheese on toast, melted butter on top, slice of this strange Polish ham my parents get (just melts... mmmmmm) with sliced cherry tomatoes on top. So basic but I absolutely fell in love with it! The cold ham and tomatoes mixed with the hot cheese and toast :) want one now!

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Hamburger Helper is one of my favorite meals!

I don't exactly have to cook, but if I do, it'll be something easy, like chicken fried chicken. If I'm feeling really lazy, ill fry a hamburger patty. Easiest thing to make. ever.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Well, that would be the "crap" part of iGary's original post. It's merely supposed to resemble beef strogonoff, while costing a total of $3 to make and 10 minutes to prepare. It's not even close.

It is if you buy a pint of sour cream to pour over when ready. :D

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
Kraft Mac n Cheese (not the Easy Mac junk though :p)
Pasta with cheese sauce or oil and garlic
BLT
Butter Noodles (these aren't their real name....I do not know their real name. This does not help, I know :p)
Popcorn??

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I saw the title of this thread and immediately thought of a related thread posted by jsw last year ...)

I can't hear "hamburger helper" and not think of "Hamburger Helpless" :D
(that describes almost every cooking experience I've ever had. :eek: Good thing I've got other talents because "culinary arts" is not included)

jakubtilly2

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2006
I can't hear "hamburger helper" and not think of "Hamburger Helpless" :D
(that describes almost every cooking experience I've ever had. :eek: Good thing I've got other talents because "culinary arts" is not included)

Maybe this thread should become cooking hints and tips corner rather than packet meal delights!!:D

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
I never had these things growing up. Cambell's soup was always the closest. Perhaps starting off with a packet of McCormicks seasoning, then going from there.

Making it the "real" way isn't really any slower or more difficult. Water always takes the same time to come to a boil.

I will admit that insta-spuds make it nice to not have to clean the mixer

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Kraft Mac & Cheese with canned (drained) Tuna and (frozen) peas added.
Sounds odd, but it's pretty good, and rather slightly healthier than straight Mac & Cheese.
Yummy.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
I'm in college, I don't have the time/energy to learn how to cook real food. :(

Haha! As if you'll have more time and energy when you have a job than you do in school?

The only reason not to cook in school is limited resources: don't have a kitchen, can't drive to the grocery store, etc. If you have that stuff, though, you should be cooking every day.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
easiest is usually veggie burgers and some frozen pommes frites. fancier would be homemade veggie stroganoff (mmmm) or eggplant with pasta... i'm ****ing hungry now

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Take some homemade frozen cabbage rolls (filled with rice and ground beef) I prepared ahead of time out of the freezer, put it in a casserole dish, top it up with some crushed tomato puree and bake it in the oven. An hour later, it's ready to enjoy with some sauerkraut and side salad. :)

what do you call this, seriously? my mom makes this and calls it "pigs in the blanket".. as opposed to mini hot dogs wrapped with biscuits or whatever often gets that name.

it's my favorite meal, and even with ground soy is very very tasty. always have it with mashed potatoes too. mmmm

TequilaBoobs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2006
what do you call this, seriously? my mom makes this and calls it "pigs in the blanket".. as opposed to mini hot dogs wrapped with biscuits or whatever often gets that name.

it's my favorite meal, and even with ground soy is very very tasty. always have it with mashed potatoes too. mmmm

it's called halupkis, which is polish for ground beef stuffed cabbage. most eastern europeans have some version of this dish. it's great for producing massive gas.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Zatarain's jambalaya mix. I'll usually toss in some whatever kind of meat I have around, like ham or sausage. One time I made it with leftover meat loaf. That was pretty good. Oh, and you can't forget to drop in a few shakes of Cholula Hot Sauce.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.