Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Have done all these steps but it's not working. Handoff just doesn't work, and trying to make calls via the MacBook leads to 'The iPhone was not found, is it on the same network?' (or words to that effect) despite the fact they are both on the same network...

Have you signed out, restarted, forgot networks etc. like suggested in the last couple pages of this thread? That's what worked for me.

I did everything in theses two posts and now it's working great for me.

To anyone still having issues I would recommend:

- Sign off everywhere (FaceTime, App Store, iCloud, etc)

- Sign back in and make sure the email is the same everywhere (if you sign in using @gmail on one place and using @icloud on another won't work, even if it's connected to the same account, this is what brought me problems earlier).

- Restart devices with everything set up properly

Keep in mind pairing the devices via Bluetooth is not necessary, just make sure Bluetooth and WiFi are turned on on both devices, and connected to the same network.

yeah i was in the same boat -

but then realised theirs 2 things I'm not resetting! the 2 things required for them to talk to each other ! bluetooth & wifi ....

so i 'forgot network' for the wifi in my iPhone

'forget this device' in bluetooth on iPhone

unpaired phone in mac, bluetooth settings

and disconnect and forgot wifi network on mac ( if you use wifi connection to connect ) ...

i then shutdown both devices, turned both back simultaneously. signed back into everything, paired devices again, found wifi network and re-conected it again.

shut down both devices, booted and it was a success

Symtex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2005
I did all of the above and wasn't working for me. I had to go into system preferences and enable bluetooth, file and screen sharing. I also change my AppleId password because the strength wasn't high enough. Its a combination of all theses item that made it work

biffsedgewick

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Facetime

One more thing to add to Armen's helpful data regarding the new Handoff feature in Yosemite. Make sure that Facetime app on your Mac is running so you can see the icons bounce in either your device or Mac. I was able to make phone calls just fine but when I opened a new Safari page on my Mac, it didn't show the bouncing icon on my iphone device. I immediately opened facetime and tried it again and then the icon appeared as Armen described in his message.

slayerz96

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Singapore
Currently using the iPhone 5s with iOS 8, and rMBP late 2012 which supports handoff.

However, despite trying everything handoff doesn't seem to work. I'm still on Yosemite PB6 and the MAS download said I'm already on 10.10. Turned on handoff on both ends, with bluetooth. System apps all don't work. Phone calling works though.

Anything I can do? :(
Is it because of the PB6?

EDIT: Got it working! Both ways too!

I tried resetting networks. No use. What I did was turn on bluetooth sharing on my Mac.

Last edited:

mamaloca31

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Thank you!!

Thanks so much for the helpful post about forgetting the wifi network and restarting from scratch, that helped tremendously! I have Handoff working now, but it's one-sided, I can get apps handed off from my laptop to my iPhone, but can't seem to get any apps to handoff from my iphone to my laptop for some reason. I have SMS working as well, which is surprising since alot of you said it wasn't working for you! Any idea why I can't get Handoff to work in both directions? I have a mid-2012 MBA running Yosemite 10.1 and iPhone 5 running iOS 8.0.2. TIA.... :)

pscl

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2013
i`m able to answer incoming calls, but cant start outgoing calls from my macbook pro... any suggestions? common problem?

"call failed"

Last edited:

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I put 10.10 on my aunts 3 month old iMac last night. That is 100% Handoff compatible, BT 4.0. Yet I kept getting this message trying to connect my iPhone 6+. Signed in and out and back in of iCloud..no luck. Beats me.

jpndf9x.png

johny979

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2014
Spain
I put 10.10 on my aunts 3 month old iMac last night. That is 100% Handoff compatible, BT 4.0. Yet I kept getting this message trying to connect my iPhone 6+. Signed in and out and back in of iCloud..no luck. Beats me.

It´s problem ios 8.0
In 8.1 bluetooth works correctly

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
It´s problem ios 8.0
In 8.1 bluetooth works correctly

Gotcha, I'll wait until Monday. :)

It's surprising that new features don't work on 3 year old machines.

I thought the same thing, I honestly didn't know the small details of what exactly was required on someones iMac (old bluetooth vs "new") I didn't think a 2007, or 08 Mac would be compatible, but my own 2011..yeah I didn't think it would be "old" when it came to Handoff, Hotspot, other new features. It would be cool, but its not a real big deal.

The phone calls on my Mac work perfectly. That was the one feature that impressed me back in June, I'm glad that works.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Very useful feature, especially for college students.

But very very poor implementation.

I had to delete almost everything to get it working: WiFi networks, iCloud accounts, iTunes account, reset settings, reset all my devices and finally it shows up....

But it doesn't work.

Clicking the icon to the left of the dock makes the appropriate "app" blink but it doesn't load what I had opened on my phone. So literally clicking it just removes the dock icon and then it won't load the item.

Notes:
I start typing a note and score- The icon shows up to the left of my dock. I click the icon, Note app bounces once and then that's it. The note doesn't show up on my screen.

Safari:
I start viewing a page, the icon shows up to the left of the dock. I click it and my Chrome icon bounces once and then disappears. And yes, I've allowed handoff, I've allowed everything. I followed EVERY step of this tutorial.

This feature is useful but its setup and implementation blows. It's literally terrible.

pscl

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2013
i do see it coming:

as most of the new so called "features" im still gonna use NONE of them in future.

nolegirl01

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2012
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Thanks so much for the helpful post about forgetting the wifi network and restarting from scratch, that helped tremendously! I have Handoff working now, but it's one-sided, I can get apps handed off from my laptop to my iPhone, but can't seem to get any apps to handoff from my iphone to my laptop for some reason. I have SMS working as well, which is surprising since alot of you said it wasn't working for you! Any idea why I can't get Handoff to work in both directions? I have a mid-2012 MBA running Yosemite 10.1 and iPhone 5 running iOS 8.0.2. TIA.... :)

I'm having the same issue, I can't seem to get it working from my phone to my computer...I'm starting an email or even logging on to a website on my phone and nothing is happening on my computer. It works from the computer to the phone. Any ideas? what icon is supposed to pop up when we do a handoff from the phone to computer?

Thanks!!!

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
Open a web page on your Mac
On your iPhone lockscreen you should see a safari icon opposite the camera.

Open a web page on your iPhone
On your Mac you should see a new safari icon pop up on the left end of the dock.

these are indicators that hand off is working.

I finally did the sign out, restart, sign in on yosemite and it started working right away.

nolegirl01

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2012
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
So here is my issue if anyone has any ideas on how to get this to work:

I have an iphone 6 with 8.0.2 installed and I have a rMBP (mid 2012) with Yosemite.

I was able to make and receive phone calls on my mbp using the handoff feature.

I was also able to do a handoff using safari from my mac to my iphone.

Everything seems to be turned on.. (bluetooth, wifi, iCloud, setting on mac and iphone)

The issue that I'm having is that I can't do the handoff from my phone to my computer. Once I start an email on my phone or even go on safari, nothing happens on my computer.

Anyone have any idea why? and how can I get this to work? I have a feeling it might be a glitch from apple and so I might have to wait for an update but just wondering if there was anything else that maybe I didn't do that might help?

I restarted the phone and computer, turned off and turned on wifi and bluetooth. The only thing I haven't done is log out and log back into iCloud. I'm scared of doing that because when I do it on my mac or iphone it says that by signing out, I will lose my documents, calendars and etc that are on the iCloud. I really didn't want to do that.

Soooo anyone have any solutions? Thank you all for the help!!!!! :)

gamesetmatch

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Palm Springs, CA, USA
I can't make continuity phone call from my iPhone to my Mac.

I do not receive any notification when the iPhone is ringing -- iPad mini retina shows the notification, but the Macbook does not.

Strangely, I CAN start phone calls from the Mac and iMessages work fine and synch between my computer, iPhone and iPad mini retina.

Any suggestions on how to make the phone calls show up on my Mac?

Of course, all my devices are using the same Apple ID and iPhone Cellular Calls is enabled and was aceepted by all my devices.

My Macbook does not support Handoff.

Thank you,

Mark.

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
When I try to logout of my iCloud, it says if I do, my calendars and documents will erase from my computer. I really didn't want to delete my calendars.

View attachment 506148

Yes you have to click through several of those windows before it logs you out, but don't worry it will all download again to your Mac when you sign in again after a restart.

I delayed this step for the same reason but nothing goes missing. Well it didn't for me.

Rogier1991

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2013
Got it working now. For the people that tried everything but still haven't got calling via the Mac and iPhone working: try to change the settings of the Firewall under Security under the System Settings. It automatically blocks all the incoming connections so my Mac was able to talk to my iPhone but the connection of the iPhone back to the Mac was blocked through my firewall. So uncheck the box ''Block all incoming connections'' and activate the firewall again, restart and voila!

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for all the trouble shooting tips. I finally got it to work in all directions between my iPad Air, iPhone 6, and rMBP. Transferring Map locations I'm going to find particularly useful, as I was already used to saving email drafts, and websites to the reading list, when I needed to switch devices. Sending SMS messages from the laptop and iPad will also be nice, and that starts today with 8.1 launching.

Yes you have to click through several of those windows before it logs you out, but don't worry it will all download again to your Mac when you sign in again after a restart.

I delayed this step for the same reason but nothing goes missing. Well it didn't for me.

That was good to know. Thx!

Last edited:

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
i get the complete opposite, everything on my iPhone 6+ or iPad mini 2 gets hand off to my Macbook air no problem... Nothing from my Macbook air appears on my idevices... Why is that? if it works one way it should work the other way too but apparently not :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.