Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
although there is an intel build of handbrake, the first UB is out...it's not mentiioned on the homepage yet, but go to downloads and it's there...

kugino

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
i'm only averaging 11 fps on my intel imac (specs below)...and this is for an ipod-sized mp4 file. the intel build was much faster...

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
I did a 1hr55min video, Green Day Bullet in a Bible to be exact, in about 1hr09 minutes. Or at least that is what it said at the begining. I was averaging between 40 and 44 fps. And that was to iPod size also.

I was very happy with that, I hope this is about what it should be.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
MacAficionado said:
I did a 1hr55min video, Green Day Bullet in a Bible to be exact, in about 1hr09 minutes. Or at least that is what it said at the begining. I was averaging between 40 and 44 fps. And that was to iPod size also.

I was very happy with that, I hope this is about what it should be.
wow! were you doing ffmpeg or h.264? my earlier conversion was 700kbps to mpeg4 using ffmpeg. i did another using h.264 and it was a lot faster.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
AtHomeBoy_2000 said:
Why would you NOT use h.264? The codec rocks!
i do for my larger conversions. my ipod sized conversions are mpeg4 b/c it also needs to play on my wife's treo 650, which doesn't like h.264 very much...

RitchieDeMan

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2002
UK
I'm Running the New Universal Binary Handbrake on my iMac 20 duo/2GB and getting frame rates of around 77 when compressing to MP4 for my iPod :)

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 69

kugino

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
RitchieDeMan said:
I'm Running the New Universal Binary Handbrake on my iMac 20 duo/2GB and getting frame rates of around 77 when compressing to MP4 for my iPod :)
are you running any other apps at the same time? also, what was your final average fps when compression ended? thanks.

RitchieDeMan

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2002
UK
kugino said:
are you running any other apps at the same time? also, what was your final average fps when compression ended? thanks.

The final average was 78 fps. When I was compressing that particular movie, I was only using safari. Doesn't seem to slow at all though even if using Photoshop. Probably due to the duo core enabling separate tasks.

That movie was a long 2hours 36mins and encoded in 51 mins.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
On handbrakes site, I see a PPC version and a UB Version, but no "intel" version?

I amjust looking for the fastest possible on my IntelliMac :)

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
iBunny said:
On handbrakes site, I see a PPC version and a UB Version, but no "intel" version?

I amjust looking for the fastest possible on my IntelliMac :)

You want the universal binary version.

Although I wonder if there's a utility yet for stripping the PPC part of universal binaries out, to save on hard drive space. (not that it really matters to me since I won't be buying an Intel Mac for a couple years probably)

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
atari1356 said:
You want the universal binary version.

Although I wonder if there's a utility yet for stripping the PPC part of universal binaries out, to save on hard drive space. (not that it really matters to me since I won't be buying an Intel Mac for a couple years probably)

Im not sure if I'm correct but the program is mainly the same for intel and ppc, not much size is added for a ub. its not anything like twice the size, more like a few mb bigger.

am I correct?

RitchieDeMan

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2002
UK
joshysquashy said:
Im not sure if I'm correct but the program is mainly the same for intel and ppc, not much size is added for a ub. its not anything like twice the size, more like a few mb bigger.

am I correct?

Yep Correct .... not much size added for the UB version :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.