Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Ever since the to upgrade to 0.9.9 my Handbrake MP4s are no longer playable by Windows Media Player.
I dropped back to the previous Handbrake and all was well again.
In fact I can take one of the 0.9.9 MP4s and re-run it through 0.9.8 and it will be playable again.
Anybody have an idea of what's going on?
Dropping back retained all of the same presets (I use the iPad preset BTW) including the one for ATV3 so I don't think it's a preset issue. It's like the encoder itself may have changed.
I know I can play them in VLC but (please keep the insults to yourself) I'd prefer to use WMP.
Any ideas?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Dropping back retained all of the same presets (I use the iPad preset BTW) including the one for ATV3 so I don't think it's a preset issue.
Well the built in presets have changed (though probably not significantly) between 0.9.8 and 0.9.9.

Try this:

1. Fire up HB 0.9.8

2. Manually update your presets via Presets > Update built in Presets.

3. Click on the built in preset that you are using (in your case iPad).

4. Save it as a custom preset.

5. Close HB 0.9.8

6. Fire up HB 0.9.9

7. Your built in presets will be updated automagically to 0.9.9 however your custom presets will be untouched.

8. Now use the custom preset you made from the 0.9.8 preset. It should work.

----------

I know I can play them in VLC but (please keep the insults to yourself) I'd prefer to use WMP.

Okay I will refrain from commenting because you asked ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.